Sponsored

The Paint Protection Film ( PPF ) Thread

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 96 Chevy 3500, 89 XJ (project)
How about an “official” thread on paint protection film? I’m interested in centralizing the details on PPF specific installs and results people are having. There are plenty of threads debating the benefits of ceramic coating versus PPF versus other options. Only found a few PPF specific threads. Let’s answer these questions and if people have other questions to add to the list I’ll stack them on.

What brand PPF?

Self or Pro install?

Areas covered? (be specific as possible, lots of nooks and crannies on the JT)

Mileage at install?

Mileage at time of replying to thread?

Any standout good or bad aspects of the PPF?
Sponsored

OP
OP
loganjeeps

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
loganjeeps

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll go first :) and some pics below.

What brand PPF? - XPEL

Self or Pro install? - Pro

Areas covered? – front grill, headlights, fog lights, turn signals, entire hood including hinges, windshield frame, front fenders, rear fender, door hinges, door sills.

Mileage at install? - 2100

Mileage at time of replying to thread? - 2600

Any standout good or bad aspects of the PPF? Looks good and pretty much invisible to me. Removing the partial piece on the rear fender from the factory for full coverage looks way better. I haven’t really put too much wear it yet but no issues to speak of so far. The one aspect of the install I wasn't expecting was the shop removed the rubicon sticker and installed a new one on top of the PPF, looks great. Main positive for me is my blood pressure is way down 😊 worrying about chips and dings on the front and fenders. I am seriously considering doing the sides and roof which would be the remainder of the vehicle but want to put some more miles on what I have thus far.

Jeep Gladiator The Paint Protection Film ( PPF ) Thread 1686109907949

Jeep Gladiator The Paint Protection Film ( PPF ) Thread 1686109942336

Jeep Gladiator The Paint Protection Film ( PPF ) Thread 1686109969252

Jeep Gladiator The Paint Protection Film ( PPF ) Thread 1686110014623

Jeep Gladiator The Paint Protection Film ( PPF ) Thread 1686110043797

Jeep Gladiator The Paint Protection Film ( PPF ) Thread 1686110085481

Jeep Gladiator The Paint Protection Film ( PPF ) Thread 1686110120565

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I have a related question. I'm pretty sure my Mojave has PPF from the factory on the Cowl, Front fender, and the plastic around the grill. And yes the little piece on the front of the rear fender. I don't think the grill has any. Am I mistaken something else for PPF? Do others have the same factory PPF?

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I’ll go first :) and some pics below.

What brand PPF? - XPEL

Self or Pro install? - Pro

Areas covered? – front grill, headlights, fog lights, turn signals, entire hood including hinges, windshield frame, front fenders, rear fender, door hinges, door sills.

Mileage at install? - 2100

Mileage at time of replying to thread? - 2600

Any standout good or bad aspects of the PPF? Looks good and pretty much invisible to me. Removing the partial piece on the rear fender from the factory for full coverage looks way better. I haven’t really put too much wear it yet but no issues to speak of so far. The one aspect of the install I wasn't expecting was the shop removed the rubicon sticker and installed a new one on top of the PPF, looks great. Main positive for me is my blood pressure is way down 😊 worrying about chips and dings on the front and fenders. I am seriously considering doing the sides and roof which would be the remainder of the vehicle but want to put some more miles on what I have thus far.

Cost?
I should have done my whole vehicle but it’s too late now as it’s covered in Arizona pinstripes. I don’t mind but if I ever sell it I won’t get a good price. Maybe I could have it buffed out.

Sponsored

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Cost?
I should have done my whole vehicle but it’s too late now as it’s covered in Arizona pinstripes. I don’t mind but if I ever sell it I won’t get a good price. Maybe I could have it buffed out.
I've debated this whole vehicle option also. I know some companies say and show how their PPF heals itself, I can't help but wonder if the PPF could get scratched also and then you must remove it and reapply at a big cost. I know my front fender has PPF and it has gotten scratched, I can buff it and it helps but the buffing process seems different than clear coat. And I know the PPF on the rear fenders is so beat up that it looks bad. I worry about scratches every time I go off road and I would rather not. I want to use the truck, but not have a bad looking scratched Jeep that I'm driving around all the time. This is a big conundrum.

motorcycle4

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator rubicon
Occupation
work
ihave had xpel ppf on 2 shelbys 6 trucks and now jeep gladiator my installer will cover as much of your vehicle as you want wifes gladiator has onlt front of hood and grill and around windshield just keeps chips and makes bug removal a spray and wipe only have had a couple of pieces that i was not happy with and he gives 10 yr warranty just stop in and they fix it no charge sometimes just a little shelbys had alot of expel on them looked like new when we got rid of them i have seen whole cars wrapped high end sports cars mostly great product but must have a very good installer

OP
OP
loganjeeps

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a related question. I'm pretty sure my Mojave has PPF from the factory on the Cowl, Front fender, and the plastic around the grill. And yes the little piece on the front of the rear fender. I don't think the grill has any. Am I mistaken something else for PPF? Do others have the same factory PPF?
I've personally never heard or seen any factory PPF other than the rear fenders amongst the 50 or so JT and JL owners I have direct knowledge of their rigs. But thats a small sample size.

OP
OP
loganjeeps

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cost?
For what I had done it was a little over 2k. Was told it would be around another 2k to finish it off.

It took me a while to find a good installer that I felt was giving me a fair price. The one I landed on didn't give me an out of the box price like others. They did a detailed suraface by surface estimate and I could pick as much or as little as I wanted. Had I done a partial front like many people do it would have been under 1k which I thought was very reasonable.

OP
OP
loganjeeps

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And I know the PPF on the rear fenders is so beat up that it looks bad. I worry about scratches every time I go off road and I would rather not.
The factory PPF on the rear fendors is garbage compared to aftermarket. When they pulled it off mine it was like a cheap brittle sticker and I have a new rig. Compared it to some PPF on one of the owners vehicles with 3 years of age and the aftermarket was still pliable.

Sponsored

dmwphoto

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
I have really never been sold on the value of PPF.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Jeep Gladiator The Paint Protection Film ( PPF ) Thread 20230827_202325

Anyone else get rock damage on their rear fender? I live on a gravel road so it isn't totally surprising but still pretty bad for 10 months ownership.

OP
OP
loganjeeps

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone else get rock damage on their rear fender? I live on a gravel road so it isn't totally surprising but still pretty bad for 10 months ownership.
Do you have PPF on there? Doesn't look like it but that's one reason why I took the cheap factory partial PPF off my fenders and had the full fender covered. Small stuff like that kind of doesn't show as obviously and when it does get ugly pull off the PPF and put a new piece on.

23BCJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT 2015 RAM 3500
2023 Gladiator
excel PPF
1900Km at install
pro install

coverage is called the "trail kit"
full hood, bedsides, hinges , front fenders, rear fenders, a-pillars, doors (until the dent where it drops into the window)

3k CAD

have already noticed that it has saved me a ton of pinstriping. see how it lasts, but i think its a 10 yr warranty on the product and if I have de-lam problems the shop that did it will get it back in for free.

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
I was cautioned by local shop that removing the factory PPF on the rear fender flares could also remove some paint. Has anyone removed it and was there any paint damage ? I want to put a PPF that better covers the forward area. I could just stack it but I hear that doesn't look that good.
Sponsored