EnzoA

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Land Rover Discovery
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, not technically a Roof Top Tent, but a tent on top of the truck...
Just wanted to share that I got this $150 truck bed tent on Amazon, and slept in it with my 3 year old yesterday - he had a blast.
Set up, just like any tent, takes a little longer the first time (about 30min) but once you work out the kinks, I feel I can have this up in 10 min going forward.
I decided to go with this tent for a few reasons:
- The larger awning. I'll be doing some mountain biking and having a large awning covering my bike with the ability of adding a small table underneath was a great plus.
- I'm not sure how many times I'll be going camping this Summer so before investing thousands, this $150 will do the trick. If the family digs the adventures, we'll invest for next season.
- The reviews seemed descent. Most bad reviews are because people can't read and measure things apparently. This tent fits our Gladiators like a glove, I'm super pleased.
- Water will not get inside, the tent has a lip that goes on all 3 sides of the bed.
- It has a thicker liner for the floor and sides. I saw some more expensive tents that didnt have that so you'd have to lay a tarp down and deal with bugs crawling in.

I have a Tyger T3 tonneau cover. When traveling, my plan is to get the tent up, fill it with all my stuff, take the poles down, fold the tent, put the cover on, and hit the road. Not sure how practical or time saving that'll be but it's worth a shot.

I'm super pleased with this cheap investment, I figured I'd share my experience on here if someone is trying to get into overlanding on the cheap. I'm 6' tall and have plenty of room. We're going sleep in there with my wife and our toddler. It'll be cozy for sure but we should make it work.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FZVPWLL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jeep Gladiator The Poor Man's RTT IMG-3819
Jeep Gladiator The Poor Man's RTT IMG-3823
Sponsored

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thats for the review. I have been bouncing around this idea also as we already have a 40' motorhome but would like the option of some impromtu camping trips in the national parks. My only concern is im 6' so not sure how comfy it will be...but for an overnight ma be fine.

OP
OP
EnzoA

EnzoA

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thats for the review. I have been bouncing around this idea also as we already have a 40' motorhome but would like the option of some impromtu camping trips in the national parks. My only concern is im 6' so not sure how comfy it will be...but for an overnight ma be fine.
I am 6' tall as well. The tent is plenty tall inside at around 5'6".
Laying down, i could lay straight and still have a good 6" of room at my feet.
I bought this mattress and it fits like a glove https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRURX2V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Got any pics of the inside?

Sponsored

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
I am looking for one of these but I am yet to find any in stock for the short bed. We want to do a roof top tent, but that is a year away and we feel something like this is a good stop-gap solution while we save for our RTT.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
That tent, plus this mattress gives you a queen size bed which is plenty of room for my 6’4” and my wife’s 6’0” bodies and our dog. Yes, this mattress is more expensive, but it is mandatory if I want the wife to come along.

https://truckairbedz.com/Airbedz?product_id=110

OP
OP
EnzoA

EnzoA

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking for one of these but I am yet to find any in stock for the short bed. We want to do a roof top tent, but that is a year away and we feel something like this is a good stop-gap solution while we save for our RTT.
It looks like Napier and Rightline Gear have a model that’d fit and are available on amazon. I forget which one it was but I didn’t go with that model because it didn’t have a floor...

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
It looks like Napier and Rightline Gear have a model that’d fit and are available on amazon. I forget which one it was but I didn’t go with that model because it didn’t have a floor...
Rightline does not have a floor and it has a large gap between the tailgate and the edge, per their website. They recommend stuffing this with something to prevent bugs....No thanks.

Napier is the one that is OOS everywhere sadly.

OP
OP
EnzoA

EnzoA

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Rightline does not have a floor and it has a large gap between the tailgate and the edge, per their website. They recommend stuffing this with something to prevent bugs....No thanks.

Napier is the one that is OOS everywhere sadly.
ah bummer.
I just found a few on Facebook Marketplace in my area. I'd give it a shot if you haven't looked there yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EnzoA

EnzoA

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That tent, plus this mattress gives you a queen size bed which is plenty of room for my 6’4” and my wife’s 6’0” bodies and our dog. Yes, this mattress is more expensive, but it is mandatory if I want the wife to come along.

https://truckairbedz.com/Airbedz?product_id=110
Yeah I was going to go with that mattress but given it's mainly going to be me alone, or me and my 3 year old, I went with a $70 Rightline. It's comfortable enough, but there's no doubt in my mind the AirBedz is worth it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
EnzoA

EnzoA

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE:
Went camping, everything worked the way I had hoped.
I had put the tent in the bed of the truck, with the deflated mattress and sheets inside, then rolled everything towards the front, leaving me room in the bed for stuff, as well as the ability to close my tonneau cover.
Super pleased with the purchase.
Jeep Gladiator The Poor Man's RTT IMG-3905
Jeep Gladiator The Poor Man's RTT IMG-3917

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Probably one of the most realistic and reasonable camping solutions I have seen here, you still have a daily driver, still have use of bed easily, plus you are not adding hundreds of pounds to your rear suspension!
I have to comment on the bikes as I also have a light weight hard tail, disc ride, you gave a nice bike with disc brakes and all, but it is the kids bike that is cool, dropped low, no flat tires, no brakes, rear sloped seat for the downhills, come on Dad take your brakes off and free yourself for the ride, breaks hold you back, there is nothing like screaming down a gnarly downhill with no brakes to make you get in the moment where you are one with the bike!......Jack

OP
OP
EnzoA

EnzoA

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Probably one of the most realistic and reasonable camping solutions I have seen here, you still have a daily driver, still have use of bed easily, plus you are not adding hundreds of pounds to your rear suspension!
I have to comment on the bikes as I also have a light weight hard tail, disc ride, you gave a nice bike with disc brakes and all, but it is the kids bike that is cool, dropped low, no flat tires, no brakes, rear sloped seat for the downhills, come on Dad take your brakes off and free yourself for the ride, breaks hold you back, there is nothing like screaming down a gnarly downhill with no brakes to make you get in the moment where you are one with the bike!......Jack
AHAHAH
Thanks, he's a kamikaze on his strider, hitting jumps and things his mom doesn't want to know.
I have this seat (pic below) and that my friend has been the best purchase I've made as a parent. We ride a few times a week for 1 to 1.5hrs, gravel roads, pump tracks, single tracks, rocky rooty gnarly stuff, he absolutely loves it.
Jeep Gladiator The Poor Man's RTT IMG-3771
Jeep Gladiator The Poor Man's RTT IMG-3614.PNG
Sponsored