Not open for further replies.

Ezekielg1

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Wrangler 2 DR Sport (retired), 2020 Gladiator Sport
I wonder if anyone will make a protective cover for the spare tire like a vacuum-formed dust cover that would also protect the sidewall of the spare. I mention it because I saw somewhere someone (maybe here?) had used cardboard or something to make one
My brother has 37s on an f150 with some high dollar wheels, so he covered his wheel and tire with plastidip on the side facing down to protect it from the elements. That product is supposed to peel right off I’ll give him a shout later today to see if it was easy to get off and how it worked
Sponsored

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
Sounds like you got your answer! I'll be putting my 37" spare in place tomorrow, I'll follow up then. I'm hoping I can keep it under there fully inflated, I think if you remove the exhaust heat shield it'll fit.
Did the 37" spare tire fit underneath?

OP
OP
Greg@RME

Greg@RME

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rme4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1948 Willys CJ2a
Did the 37" spare tire fit underneath?
I wasn't able to get it in place! I thought my AEV wheel and 37" tire would go without issue, but the center hole in the AEV wheel is too small for the spare mount on the end of the cable. I need to get my 37" tire put on the stock steel wheel, then try it. That won't happen till next weekend, unfortunately. But I'm OK with this, I really didn't like the idea of the nice, pretty wheel tucked underneath getting dirty and scraped up.

OP
OP
Greg@RME

Greg@RME

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rme4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
My brother has 37s on an f150 with some high dollar wheels, so he covered his wheel and tire with plastidip on the side facing down to protect it from the elements. That product is supposed to peel right off I’ll give him a shout later today to see if it was easy to get off and how it worked
I truly dislike Plastidip, I bought a vehicle that the PO put Plastidip on the grill, trim, door handles, etc. After a couple years, it started coming off... where it got chipped or didn't stick well. Then it all had to come off and it was a PITA.

Jmospider

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
I’m a little bit of a novice on aftermarket wheels. The Salta’s have an offset of +10MM and backspacing of 5.2”. How does this compare to the Rubicon wheels? I’m trying to understand how far the tire will stick out (ie: roller skate). The Savagre II are specifically made for the JL (Salta is a JK wheel) and have offset of +25MM and backspacing of 5.77”. How does that compare?

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I’m a little bit of a novice on aftermarket wheels. The Salta’s have an offset of +10MM and backspacing of 5.2”. How does this compare to the Rubicon wheels? I’m trying to understand how far the tire will stick out (ie: roller skate). The Savagre II are specifically made for the JL (Salta is a JK wheel) and have offset of +25MM and backspacing of 5.77”. How does that compare?
The difference between the two wheels you mention is this:
Savagre II has backspacing of 5.77"
Salta has backspacing of 5.2"
The difference between the two wheels is 0.57" (just over a ½")

This may be helpful...

Backspacing is similar to offset, but it changes where we measure from. We are still looking for the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel, but instead of measuring the “center line”, it’s measured from the back edge of the mounting surface (hub). Backspacing is less commonly used than offset, because offset has replaced backspace measuring in common wheel fitment.

Reference:

So there’s wheel diameter, wheel width, and a “positive” or “negative” offset. What is offset? Offset is the distance in millimeters (mm) + or - from the hub (where you bolt the wheel to the vehicle) to the true center of the wheel.

A “negative” offset is where the mounting surface of the wheel is closer to the inside (brake side) of the wheel. In the truck world, many custom truck wheels come in aggressive negative offsets. The more negative the offset, the more aggressive stance you will get. This means the wheels will “poke” outside of the fenders. “Poke” or “Stance” is when the wheel and tire stick outside of your fender. A negative offset is what can create a larger lip or concave style, which will push the tire out.

A “positive” offset is where the mounting surface of the wheel is closer to the outside (fender side) of the wheel. This pushes the wheel in toward the brakes which can “sink” the tire and wheel into the fender well opening.

positive-offset.jpg
negative-offset.jpg

large-positive-offset-lg.jpg
large-negative-offset-lg.jpg

BACKSPACING
Does backspacing matter? Backspacing is similar to offset, but it changes where we measure from. We are still looking for the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel, but instead of measuring the “center line”, it’s measured from the back edge of the mounting surface (hub). Backspacing is less commonly used than offset, because offset has replaced backspace measuring in common wheel fitment.

backspacing-lg.jpg
backspace-resized.jpg

Above from https://www.customwheeloffset.com/o...M69SzrXHL4ylzvYB2vY_WWE8ZB8t9osRoCrA4QAvD_BwE

Jmospider

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Thanks - that’s helpful. Does anyone have a picture of what 15MM or 1/2 inch offset looks like? I can’t imagine it’s very noticeable, but would like to see before spending the money. Also would like to understand if it’s going to cause any rubbing issues either off-road or with a loaded truck bed. I was planning on 35’s with no lift on a Rubicon.

Jmospider

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
How much offset (tires outside of fenders) are you seeing with the Saltas? I’m being told 15MM - any concerns with rubbing either off-roading or with the truck bed weighed down?

OP
OP
Greg@RME

Greg@RME

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rme4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
How much offset (tires outside of fenders) are you seeing with the Saltas? I’m being told 15MM - any concerns with rubbing either off-roading or with the truck bed weighed down?
There's not much hanging out past the fenders, no rubbing with 37's anywhere at full articulation. Look at the pics I posted from Moab, you can see how the tires are covered around 90-95% by the flares. I'm away from home for the week working, so I can't get you an actual measurement. I'm very happy with the fit of the JK Saltas on my JT, FYI.

Jmospider

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
There's not much hanging out past the fenders, no rubbing with 37's anywhere at full articulation. Look at the pics I posted from Moab, you can see how the tires are covered around 90-95% by the flares. I'm away from home for the week working, so I can't get you an actual measurement. I'm very happy with the fit of the JK Saltas on my JT, FYI.

Thanks. If you have a chance to post pics front the front or back I’d love to see them. I’m thinking about Saltas with KO2 35’s on my Rubicon with no additional lift.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Greg@RME

Greg@RME

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rme4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Man those red Saltas look good. How about a front and rear shot down the side of the truck @Greg@RME to show us how much they stick out with 37s?
I'll see what I can do, I've been spending way too much time away from home working than I have been playing with the Gladiator, so I haven't been able to get the requested side shots. I think I'll be taking it to Moab again this weekend, so I'll try get some shots.

BullMoose1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I talked to the AEV dealer here, and they tell me the Salta won't fit on the JL/JT because the studs are 14mm.

@Greg@RME , did you have install issues?

OP
OP
Greg@RME

Greg@RME

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rme4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
I talked to the AEV dealer here, and they tell me the Salta won't fit on the JL/JT because the studs are 14mm.

@Greg@RME , did you have install issues?
Well, your dealer is right and they're wrong. Yes on the 14mm studs, but they fit just fine. The taper on the lug nut is the same, the wheels slide over the studs without interference. No issue at all.

BullMoose1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Follow up to the follow up, lol. @Greg@RME , I talked to AEV, they said my biggest challenge will be finding a lug nut socket to fit. Seems simple enough.

Can you let me know what you went with?

I am very relieved by this. I REALLY wanted the Saltas.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.