Sponsored

Thieves Use Proximity Key Fob Relays to Gain Access.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Not Gladiator specific, but worth knowing.

Thieves boost the key fob signal using two devices. A repeater near your home or person repeats the signal to the partner standing next to your car, enabling a proximity signal that unlocks the doors and allows the vehicle to be started and driven.
Sponsored

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
My pistol is faster then their repeater.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I can see them unlocking it if it has proximity locks, but to start it? Mine won't start if the fob isn't physically present in the vehicle - so unless they clone the fob and it's inside the perimeter of the antennas in the truck...
If my fob falls between the seat and console, I can't start it.
If they somehow got it started, again, unless they cloned the action of the fob, once they shut it down, it's done.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
This isnā€™t anything new. I caught someone trying steal mine summer of 2020. It was parked in downtown Raleigh and my fiancĆ©e had my Jeep because of the recent riots downtown. Downtown was basically deserted then but she had to go into the office that day so she parallel parked out front for convenience. I had some really bad news I had to tell her in person so I came in pretty hot and parked right behind my Jeep. I was driving an Explorer from work because it was the fastest thing I could get to. She hadnā€™t come out yet. There was a van parked on the other side of my Jeep. They thought I was a cop and took off. It took me a minute to realize what was happening because I was completely distracted. They got it running and were about to steal it. I figured it out because it was running. Because of where she works there are cameras everywhere and they were able to get the plate number and it was connected with a string of recent car thefts. It would have been on a container overseas within a few hours if I hadnā€™t come across them. Thatā€™s what they were doing.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This isnā€™t anything new.
Agreed - there's been several posts and some loooong threads on this exact thing, and there's been talk of it in general for years.
There are multiple solutions to the problem, some could be used now if they wanted.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Not Gladiator specific, but worth knowing.

Thieves boost the key fob signal using two devices. A repeater near your home or person repeats the signal to the partner standing next to your car, enabling a proximity signal that unlocks the doors and allows the vehicle to be started and driven.
The post you quoted is from 2020

Sponsored

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Never liked the key fob idea of always "on". Generally, they are putting too much unnecessary crap in vehicles today (some of it is good but too much crap). Specifically, I don't really get the idea that sticking one hand in a pocket to press a button like I've been doing for decades some how turned into an issue of magnitude somewhere btwn an "inconvenience and a hardship." LOL

It is the nature of things, a lot of the unnecessary crap leads to "unintended consequences".

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
OP, the link in post 1 brings me to a "page not found" warning. Can you fix it? Thanks,

skindata

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Assembly Technician
Agreed - there's been several posts and some loooong threads on this exact thing, and there's been talk of it in general for years.
There are multiple solutions to the problem, some could be used now if they wanted.
How funny would it be if they spent all that work to get it unlocked, hop in and realize itā€™s a 6 speed manual and then donā€™t know what to do. šŸ˜‚

Last edited:

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I can see them unlocking it if it has proximity locks, but to start it? Mine won't start if the fob isn't physically present in the vehicle - so unless they clone the fob and it's inside the perimeter of the antennas in the truck...
If my fob falls between the seat and console, I can't start it.
If they somehow got it started, again, unless they cloned the action of the fob, once they shut it down, it's done.
Precisely

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Yeah, until they jump in, realize itā€™s a 6 speed manual and then run away

How funny would it be if they spent all that work to get it unlocked, hop in and realize itā€™s a 6 speed manual and then donā€™t know what to do. šŸ˜‚
Or when they got in all they could smell is rotting whale stench with a hint of summers eve šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£
Sponsored

Last edited: