Thin, Light 37" Tire for Spare?

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Mojave & 2022 JLU High-Tide
Occupation
Retired Marine; Divorce Attorney
I did a search, but it doesn't seem to have been talked about...
I was wondering if anyone knows of a thin, light 37", basically a 37" donut, that could be used as a spare. I have a Clayton rear track bar, so a 37" with fit. But I do not rotate my spare tire into the trucks tire. I am looking for something light because on thr side of thr road I don't want to be messing with a heavy tire. I am just going to use it in an emergency.
I know I could just out the 33" tire on the front passenger side and use that tire for the flat tire, but on the side of the road I don't want to be messing around too much... We have crazy drivers here in NJ, I don't want to get run over 😆
Sponsored

Kajo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Soldier
37X12.50X17 BFG KO2 load range C on a stock rim seems to be pretty light and not to wide for a 37" tire. Maybe a little short compared to other 37"s but it is just your spare and better than the stock 33..

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
there are some 37x11.5-17 tires that won't hang down quite so low, which might matter in the rocks and on rocky shelf drops... but I'm guessing not much of that around NJ :)

If you don't want to spend the extra cash for a fifth wheel and tire so you can do a 5-tire rotation, you can consider just hunting around local tire shops for used take-offs from their piles of old tires. I've done this a few times when I tear a sidewall on a trail, and stop in some small town looking for a used tire so I at least have something to use as a spare. Cost is low, from free up to maybe $50 if there's some tread left. I've got a bald Cooper Discoverer AT on a stock wheel in my backyard right now, which I found in a pile in Escalante UT for $10.

Lack of tread also makes the tire lighter, incidentally.

OP
OP
dayusmc

dayusmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Mojave & 2022 JLU High-Tide
Occupation
Retired Marine; Divorce Attorney
It isn't the money I am concerned about. I actually already have a 5th matching rim. It is the weight of the spare that is a PIA. I have 35s on now with the matching rim and tire, but it is way to heavy to mess with on the side of the road, I am moving to 37s.... Just looking for the lightest 37 and I am going to put it on the stock spare tire rim. It is all about weight...