Sponsored

Think I’m taking myself out of the Gladiator game

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I'm honestly up in the air at this point. It was already a lot of money in my opinion, and now I'm looking at another 1k since the treadlightly discount isn't happening. I might grab a 2018 wrangler lease for 24 months and see how the gladiator is doing at the end if the lease.
That's what i'm doing, but i'm leasing a Gladiator instead. Its a great option when you're not sure exactly what you want or what you want to do/spend, ect.
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I was gung-ho on the Gladiator until I saw one in person. Now I'm uncertain and possibly considering it.

Seeing it in person, it looks like a jeep with the top missing/missing indoor storage area. Yes this should be obvious, but hit me more so once I saw it.

I have a 2019 JLUR already and like the indoor storage space.

I also have a 2019 RAM Big Horn Crew Cab.

For less money you get much more truck and function from the RAM.

A little less money you get more capability and some functionality from the JL.

Gladiator is sort of a novelty. If I get one, it will replace the JLUR. It wouldn't be a replacement for a RAM.

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my 2 Cents on this discussion...
As I am reading that most people feel the Price is "too much" for a midsize......I hear you, but consider this: Do you say "people that pay "too much" for a Range Rover, BMW, Bentley, etc" when they could settle for a less expensive manufacturer SUV???? No. People pay for what they want, if you feel it is over priced, look elsewhere.....I do not drive around saying, "ohhh, those dumb folks paid too much" when they are driving a high end car. The Gladiator caters to a specific audience.....I find it interesting when people compare to a full size pick up....have you pried some of those out lately?!?!? Either way, I paid what I paid for my JT, I'll enjoy it and not have a single regret! To each his own....thank goodness others feel the same or else all we'd see out there on the road would be Camrys, Accords, or Taurus'.....Whew.....#dontbeasheeple!

lucky7t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JK Rubicon 4dr, 15 JK Sport 4dr
I kinda see your reason but for me it’s a Jeep thing . I really need a truck and I like something different . I’ve owned many jeeps , I feel this suits me perfect . I expect it to drive like a Jeep and don’t expect it to be an F-150 or a Taco. Because it’s new I don’t feel I need to drive it , in fact Im having it lifted with wheels and tires before I pick it up . I can’t imagine comparing looks to a Tacoma or a f-150 , their is no comparison in styling at all imho. Jeeps have always been personalized whether it be flares, steps, antennas etc.. for practicality reasons I can see where those others might outweigh it but if we all felt that way we would all drive a Prius .

As far as price I would never pay msrp for a vehicle . Bought mine at 4 percent back of invoice from a sponsor here on this site . Their are several dealers here stating this deal or better so don’t let your local dealer scare you , just buy from one of these guys instead .

I think these are very different from anything else . I don’t think you will see these in every corner . Heck I don’t see many jeep jl around here .

Warbirds

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater trucks and fast motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Or will they? I can’t help but wonder if they will keep the production numbers down to about only 75,000 per year so they can justify the high price to the buyers as a limited production truck? Simple supply and demand.
This is called ROS
Return on Sales. While it is an important number its not generally the decision making number in a production/manufacturing environment.

At the end of the day- financing and service will always beat RoS by a long shot.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
I kinda see your reason but for me it’s a Jeep thing . I really need a truck and I like something different . I’ve owned many jeeps , I feel this suits me perfect . I expect it to drive like a Jeep and don’t expect it to be an F-150 or a Taco. Because it’s new I don’t feel I need to drive it , in fact Im having it lifted with wheels and tires before I pick it up . I can’t imagine comparing looks to a Tacoma or a f-150 , their is no comparison in styling at all imho. Jeeps have always been personalized whether it be flares, steps, antennas etc.. for practicality reasons I can see where those others might outweigh it but if we all felt that way we would all drive a Prius .

As far as price I would never pay msrp for a vehicle . Bought mine at 4 percent back of invoice from a sponsor here on this site . Their are several dealers here stating this deal or better so don’t let your local dealer scare you , just buy from one of these guys instead .

I think these are very different from anything else . I don’t think you will see these in every corner . Heck I don’t see many jeep jl around here .
You and Tacoman are seeing the light.

1 It's a JEEP, if you want a truck, go buy a truck. I have never seen or driven a Glad, but it will outperform ANY truck out there! WHY, because its a Jeep FIRST.

I guess what I am not understanding is what were you expecting? Just a 4 door Jeep with a 5 ft bed, sorry but the 8 ft bed is longer, sorry but a 7000 payload and a 24,000 tow rating, not a Jeep. I will get plenty of use out of my new Glad when it comes in and at the same time use my truck...

IMG_0702.jpeg

lilloco

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Jeep Comanche, 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3, 2008 Jeep WK 3.0crd
Occupation
Card-Player
Same. I was sold on a gladiator when they were announced, even got vanity plates 2 months ago that only make sense on a gladiator. Now I'm pricing out a JLUR for a lease, and then maybe go to a Gladiator at the end of the lease. My only issue now is that dealers (Canada), are saying the order banks are closed for '19 MY, and there's no pre built jeeps I'm interested in.
Some Canadian dealers are allowing modifications to prespec if not yet in D1 status.... Milton Chrysler (Ontario) let me do mine April 27th and only at MSRP + MTO fees with "negotiable discounts on arrival" (Shipping May 26th)... to have one built to my liking now I'll be a sucker and pay close to MSRP but not a nickel over!

lilloco

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Card-Player
Here's my 2 Cents on this discussion...
As I am reading that most people feel the Price is "too much" for a midsize......I hear you, but consider this: Do you say "people that pay "too much" for a Range Rover, BMW, Bentley, etc" when they could settle for a less expensive manufacturer SUV???? No. People pay for what they want, if you feel it is over priced, look elsewhere.....I do not drive around saying, "ohhh, those dumb folks paid too much" when they are driving a high end car. The Gladiator caters to a specific audience.....I find it interesting when people compare to a full size pick up....have you pried some of those out lately?!?!? Either way, I paid what I paid for my JT, I'll enjoy it and not have a single regret! To each his own....thank goodness others feel the same or else all we'd see out there on the road would be Camrys, Accords, or Taurus'.....Whew.....#dontbeasheeple!
Amen!

Im upgrading from my 87 Comanche to this it truly is a niche "Jeep thing"... if you want a full size puckup truck get one if you want a Jeep SUV get one if you want a bit of both worlds get a Gladiator or Comanche.... but those are super hard to find parts for these days.

FB_IMG_1557681040712.jpg

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Some Canadian dealers are allowing modifications to prespec if not yet in D1 status.... Milton Chrysler (Ontario) let me do mine April 27th and only at MSRP + MTO fees with "negotiable discounts on arrival" (Shipping May 26th)... to have one built to my liking now I'll be a sucker and pay close to MSRP but not a nickel over!
Ok, good to know. One dealer I spoke with said he noticed some recent orders were placed, and he'd keep trying everyday to put in an order. Told him I'd give him 2 weeks, since he's the only one who offered hope.

He's going below msrp, but after your experience, I'll stop counting my Chickens. My plan B was a lease on JT rubicon, but again, lots of money to spend on something I don't want right now, so might have to suck it up for a few more months till '20 MY are open.

lilloco

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Card-Player
Ok, good to know. One dealer I spoke with said he noticed some recent orders were placed, and he'd keep trying everyday to put in an order. Told him I'd give him 2 weeks, since he's the only one who offered hope.

He's going below msrp, but after your experience, I'll stop counting my Chickens. My plan B was a lease on JT rubicon, but again, lots of money to spend on something I don't want right now, so might have to suck it up for a few more months till '20 MY are open.
Depending on how far out from Milton (WEST GTA) you are it might be an idea to give them a shout?

I wouldn't waste money on a lease either. Just go or no. The lease money could pay for some sweet upgrades. If they didnt offer me the option to customize a prespec I would have waited but shy of the steel bumper its everything I wanted. And in hindsight better off to go AM for a bumper later on.

BTW what plate did you get?? I went vanity too... JPGLAD8R.

Sponsored

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Depending on how far out from Milton (WEST GTA) you are it might be an idea to give them a shout?

I wouldn't waste money on a lease either. Just go or no. The lease money could pay for some sweet upgrades. If they didnt offer me the option to customize a prespec I would have waited but shy of the steel bumper its everything I wanted. And in hindsight better off to go AM for a bumper later on.

BTW what plate did you get?? I went vanity too... JPGLAD8R.
Right now lease is my best option. I am trading in my '17 Ram, but still upside down on it, wasn't expecting the urge to get back in to a Jeep to hit this quickly. Plus, I want the option of moving up to a Gladiator or a special edition JL in a few years, since they usually start coming out around year 3, and sometimes are pretty cool. I don't like the idea of lease, but hate being upside down also, and with the uncertainty right now, this seems like a happy medium. I'm partial to Wranglers, and the bikini colour is tempting. I'm not far from Milton, so def will give them a call. My issue is I only want JLU if it's bikini, and manual. Only one around is missing two options I want, and for the amount jeeps cost, and how much I'll be spending, I want what I want, otherwise I'll just keep waiting.

I got RUNTRTND...after watching the first teaser commercial they put, and watching the movie around that time, by coincidence.

lilloco

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Card-Player
Right now lease is my best option. I am trading in my '17 Ram, but still upside down on it, wasn't expecting the urge to get back in to a Jeep to hit this quickly. Plus, I want the option of moving up to a Gladiator or a special edition JL in a few years, since they usually start coming out around year 3, and sometimes are pretty cool. I don't like the idea of lease, but hate being upside down also, and with the uncertainty right now, this seems like a happy medium. I'm partial to Wranglers, and the bikini colour is tempting. I'm not far from Milton, so def will give them a call. My issue is I only want JLU if it's bikini, and manual. Only one around is missing two options I want, and for the amount jeeps cost, and how much I'll be spending, I want what I want, otherwise I'll just keep waiting.

I got RUNTRTND...after watching the first teaser commercial they put, and watching the movie around that time, by coincidence.
Did you get a quote for how much of a discount you'd get? Mind sharing via PM?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I'm a buyer of a used LE for all the good and bad reasons above. Looking forward to it!

Agree this: my Comanche was a great Jeep truck.

Adding: my current 1964 Gladiator is still a great Jeep after all these years.

And, the 2020 JT takes it's place in a long line of Jeeps. Good, bad, opinions, assholes, whatever. It's a Jeep Pickup!!!! In 20 years it will still be a Jeep and nobody will be talking about that great full-size truck they had back when. They'll be talking about the Jeep Pickup doing something different for them.

Looky here: no other truck currently on the market will have someone stop and take this picture of it in 50 years:

photo-of-jeep-front-prince-of-wales-island.jpg

41Willys

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '16 Kia Sorrento, '07 Toyota Tundra
Definitely a good idea to take your time with this purchase. If you're not already a fan of our a Wrangler drives then I can totally see not liking the feel. I'm almost tempted to wait 2 years to buy one because I think there will be a lot of people buying one to be the first, or because they look cool, then returning them because a Jeep is not the same thing as most other vehicles. You're smart to be reluctant now.

Besides all that, you won't win a price for being the first guy in your neighborhood, city, office that has one. I just stopped my dealer today, but they only had 2 and someone was in the middle of driving one while the other was parked in the showroom. It was tempting, after sitting in one, to do something stupid. At the end of the day, it's a vehicle... its cool and new, but not worth the premium (the Jeep I sat in had an $8k "market adjustment" added to it.) I'll go back in for a test drive (probably more than once) before I'll sign up for that new expense.

41Willys

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '16 Kia Sorrento, '07 Toyota Tundra
Definitely a good idea to take your time with this purchase. If you're not already a fan of our a Wrangler drives then I can totally see not liking the feel. I'm almost tempted to wait 2 years to buy one because I think there will be a lot of people buying one to be the first, or because they look cool, then returning them because a Jeep is not the same thing as most other vehicles. You're smart to be reluctant now.

Besides all that, you won't win a price for being the first guy in your neighborhood, city, office that has one. I just stopped my dealer today, but they only had 2 and someone was in the middle of driving one while the other was parked in the showroom. It was tempting, after sitting in one, to do something stupid. At the end of the day, it's a vehicle... its cool and new, but not worth the premium (the Jeep I sat in had an $8k "market adjustment" added to it.) I'll go back in for a test drive (probably more than once) before I'll sign up for that new expense.
Completely agree. And never, ever start dealing without a test drive. If a dealer ever even MENTIONED a Market Adjustment, laugh and say "I'm not the sucker you're looking for."
Just Walk Away.
Sponsored