First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I was actually wondering about doing the same... mounting a 33" on the spare steely in case of emergency. So, this will work, correct? And there's no major issues that could arise in using the spare when necessary?
I can't say for sure but I would worry about having problems with the traction control system. The system will see different wheel speeds and could cause you problems driving. I don't know what the speed difference would have to be to initiate the system but having a 33 and a 35 on the same axle could be enough of a difference. If you have a lockers or a limited slip it would cause a problem.
Sponsored

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a matching wheel? The stock steel one is the correct size but the steel wheel doesn't match so I do not want to rotate it in and have a mismatched wheel 80% of the time. If i change wheels I would like a matching spare but the way it mounts under the truck I do not want to damage it either
Do you have a matching wheel? The stock steel one is the correct size but the steel wheel doesn't match so I do not want to rotate it in and have a mismatched wheel 80% of the time. If i change wheels I would like a matching spare but the way it mounts under the truck I do not want to damage it either
Sure do. 17 x 8.5 with 4.5 bs. Not much room for more, but my setup fits.

Jeep Gladiator Tire size of spare 20210111_100836

20200703_121428.jpg

20200703_121416.jpg

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I was actually wondering about doing the same... mounting a 33" on the spare steely in case of emergency. So, this will work, correct? And there's no major issues that could arise in using the spare when necessary?
There would be no issues to use it as people drive around on those little donut Tires forever. Use it to get you out and going not to 4 wheel in

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I can't say for sure but I would worry about having problems with the traction control system. The system will see different wheel speeds and could cause you problems driving. I don't know what the speed difference would have to be to initiate the system but having a 33 and a 35 on the same axle could be enough of a difference. If you have a lockers or a limited slip it would cause a problem.
The smaller spare should be put on the front, no locker used, and traction control turned off if on-road.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Hey guys, for those that have removed their OE tires, has anyone upgraded the spare too but with a different brand? I have KO2s.....not sure I see the need of sticking a new full sized KO2 under the truck. That just seems a little silly or does it?

what ya all think.....spend $250 on the spare or $150 on an “off” brand spare?
on the JL I would rotate my spare in, but on the Gladiator I would just match the tire height as much as possible. Don't think brand is relevant if you are treating it as a donut more or less. But yeah, my 37" KO2's are 36.5, so I would buy a spare that's identical in height (or as close to it as possible).

Sponsored

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
The smaller spare should be put on the front, no locker used, and traction control turned off if on-road.
Yes, that is one way to get around the locker/lsd issues but you still have wheel speed sensors in the front that could cause problems if the tire size is different enough. Either way, by not having a full size spare you take away capability in an off road or bad traction situation, say snow or something.

OP
OP

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I have been given the green light by a very reputable jeep mechanic that my current spare is more than adequate as a spare and to not waste money on a bigger one. So based on that, I am comfortable leaving as is. But certainly not using the spare as any type of permanent solution if I have a blow out.

I can understand if others disagree or do things differently. But he is a master mechanic for FCA and jeep transmission expert.

Cajundoc

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Physician
What is that setup? I have factory spare but 37s all around. Will I be able to limp home on the factory spare?

RRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Hey guys, for those that have removed their OE tires, has anyone upgraded the spare too but with a different brand? I have KO2s.....not sure I see the need of sticking a new full sized KO2 under the truck. That just seems a little silly or does it?

I run 37" BFG KM3's with the exact same rim as my spare, YES it does fit fully inflated. BFG's are one of the smaller 37's out there but before that I fit a fully inflated Ironman 37" in there. It does fit but it is super tight. I like having the exact same spare tire & wheel so it doesn't affect my day when I'm wheel'n off road and I need to use it. I know guys who run a donut spare just to get them home but I don't see the point if you can't keep on hav'n fun on the trail. We aren't driving minivans!
Sponsored