Sponsored

Devils advocate of upping tire size.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
A $1000 bucks 😂😂😂 try $10,000+. And as the buyer of a 2021 decked JT Rubi I can tell you lift and 37s makes a HUGE difference performance and …. If you don’t and haven’t had to use a winch you’re not wheeling. Just sayin
Conversely 37s have a huge negative impact on acceleration, braking and towing capability.
Sponsored

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
Marginal performance gains in my opinion. For me I got the Rubi because it will do about 99.9% of the things I wanted it to do out of the box. I'll probably get 35"s for another 0.09% of what I need it to do and aesthetics, and I don't need to do anything else to the truck. To go to 37s, properly, will need a lift, new suspension, re-gearing, etc. So $1000s of dollars to get about another 20' down the trail. Doesn't sound like a good investment to me. I try not to waste my money as much as I can (which I"m not that good at.lol I just put a deposit on a canopy camper). Besides, anything over 35s on these trucks tend to look silly to me. The proportions look off when you get to 37s, and 40s look ridiculously dumb, like clown shoes. again my opinion. which brings it back to you do what you want. Just because it's not my jam, it's not my money. And if you need those extra couple inches of clearance, then bigger tires might make more sense. I know I can't justify that kind of money for a couple of inches to clear the occasional obstacle.

ezekio3160

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I didn't lose much on the power side on my Max Tow with 4.10 gears Still getting over 17mpg on my 37 12.5 17 Kanati Trail hogs. It has dipped under 17 a few days since it got cold, in the 20's but for most part I wouldn't change a thing. I added a rough country adjustable track bar and other that haven't beefed up any other components. Don't expect them wear out any faster than they did on my 2010 JKU when I ran them on it. I got 120,000 miles out of the stock ball joints on the JKU.

I'm considering going to 38's after these wear out, that's how good it performs. If you want them buy them, I'm not talking nobody out of anything.
With bigger tires what else wears out besides ball joints? Thinking of upgrading to the HD ball joints.

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
With bigger tires what else wears out besides ball joints? Thinking of upgrading to the HD ball joints.
Brake pads and rotors are probably the next items to go. Then probably suspension bushings. The rubber bushing take a harder beating than normal. For example control arm, sway bar link, track bar, drag link bushings. However, they could last you ten of thousands of miles before they go bad.

COwens

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Conversely 37s have a huge negative impact on acceleration, braking and towing capability.
Of which I do none. If you want to tow, get. Ram 3500. If you want road performance get Corvette. If you want to roll berms and trudge ruts …

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure, I ran my ball joints on my JKU for 120,000 miles and 60,000 miles of that was on 37's and 55,000 miles of that was on 35's. That was stock ball joints. It cost me $200 to have stock ball joints put back in it and I sold it with 132,000 miles on it and bought the JT. My brakes and rotors lasted 115000 miles before I had to replace them. More importantly a beefier track bar and drag link would benefit you more than the Ball Joints. You will notice that more than the Ball Joints. Ball Joints are Ball Joints, the HD ones may or may not last longer but they will make zero difference in how it handled and steers.

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Upgraded to 4.5" lift, true 37"x12.5" tires and 5.13 gearing. Steering is stickier (Synergy ball joints maybe still working themselves in), more bouncing around on roads (think we call this flex in the off road world), mpg drop from like 18-19 to 15 (takes off like a rocket now at lights), tires even balanced vibrate every so slightly in 20-30 and 40-45 (car stereo vibrates things far worse), when hooning it around turns feels dodgy (no rear sway bar tho), gotta think in advance and jam on the brakes (they never were great to begin with), my kids arms are getting swole pulling themselves into my rig (no one made it easy for me either), the folks at the carwash's eyes get wide every time I come through (still fits though!). My only regurt is I didn't go 38"x13.5" or 37"x14.5" and on wider rims.

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi, 2015 2dr Jk hard rock rubi
This is a great thread with a lot of participation. OP is getting a lot of advice.
Here’s my two cents:
I’ve lifted every 4wd I’ve owned since the early 80’s. Most have been cj jeeps and early broncos. I’ve always liked my finished projects but always in the back of my mind wished I would have went just a little bigger.
On this one I went with 40’s. Very happy with the decision and glad the 42’s weren’t out when I purchased!!!
“It’s expensive to look cheap”

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
You’ve got to do what’s best to suit your needs and ignore anyone telling you that you’ve gotta have 37’s, 40’s, whatever to be happy.

I’ve gone with a 1” front, 1/2” rear teraflex spacer. 315/70’s C load rated (34.5”?) on stock wheels. It’s a good slightly off-stock solution for me. With the 4.10’s, the acceleration and fuel economy difference is negligible.

37’s on the Mopar lift would be great, but it’s more important for me for it to still fit in the garage. In addition, they would make getting in and out for the wife and daughter even more difficult than it already is. 35”ish tires still fit under the bed for a matching spare. Finally, none of these minor mods I’ve completed are going to cause any significant premature wear.

What would I change? Perhaps installing both the 1” and .5” spacers up front instead of just the 1”. I lost about half an inch with installation of the steel bumper, winch and winch plate. However, at this point I don’t think it would be worth disassembly for just .5”. We’ll see how it sits once I install my rack & RTT.

26C65794-AC0E-41AA-886D-64CD2DE2F1F1.jpeg

8226C28A-EC59-4BDF-B83F-8AF5A396DC58.jpeg

978E87D6-18A9-446C-832F-D9D40C51D704.jpeg

85F94D52-0B35-4BB5-81D8-3AE96D12CECD.jpeg

143F12CB-E230-4107-8A6C-28B0D6A1ACC3.jpeg
How are those Toyo RTs?

Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Marginal performance gains in my opinion. For me I got the Rubi because it will do about 99.9% of the things I wanted it to do out of the box. I'll probably get 35"s for another 0.09% of what I need it to do and aesthetics, and I don't need to do anything else to the truck. To go to 37s, properly, will need a lift, new suspension, re-gearing, etc. So $1000s of dollars to get about another 20' down the trail. Doesn't sound like a good investment to me. I try not to waste my money as much as I can (which I"m not that good at.lol I just put a deposit on a canopy camper). Besides, anything over 35s on these trucks tend to look silly to me. The proportions look off when you get to 37s, and 40s look ridiculously dumb, like clown shoes. again my opinion. which brings it back to you do what you want. Just because it's not my jam, it's not my money. And if you need those extra couple inches of clearance, then bigger tires might make more sense. I know I can't justify that kind of money for a couple of inches to clear the occasional obstacle.
Funny how people's opinions are so different

I don't think JTs start looking ok until 37s, I think they look perfect with 40s but I don't have it in me to spend that much on axles and tires, so I'm going to max out at 38s.

I think a JT looks silly with 35s and below, and I say this as a current owner of 35s

T-Rock

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mohave; 2020 WK2 Trailhawk
I expect my JTM will gain a little clearance/scrape less when I bump up from the stock 33's to 35's. That is all I need for what I do & the primary reason I want to upgrade tire size.

I would like to point out that there are lots of different types of "wheelin" and off-roading, not just rock crawling or mud bogging. Different regions have different conditions and different people have different goals for off-roading. Overlanding, running Forest Service roads, beach and sand dunes are all valid off-roading activities to enjoy and each 'requires' different setups on your vehicle. Yes including stock Jeeps.

Everyone doesn't need the same tires or lift be fit in with the group if the group is about enjoying the unpaved. This community started out being about that common hobby, not about who built what or spent the most. The hard-core of old ran 30's to go everywhere ...skill was prized more than tire size. I am not knocking bigger builds, just saying those that do build big shouldn't knock those who choose not to follow that same path. The exact build should be suited to you & the jeeping you do.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs

I don't think JTs start looking ok until 37s, I think they look perfect with 40s but I don't have it in me to spend that much on axles and tires, so I'm going to max out at 38s.

I think a JT looks silly with 35s and below, and I say this as a current owner of 35s
Agreed. Although i still won't go beyond 35s, so I'll keep looking silly.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter

I expected you to be from Texas. :LOL:

Boostnu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Machinist
Jeep Gladiator Devils advocate of upping tire size. C84347CF-1761-4137-A127-AB50DDED1765
Jeep Gladiator Devils advocate of upping tire size. 16C9221C-4CCC-4DE2-9A00-4DF98AC49268

This is mine on 35s vs 37s a couple months later. I settled for 35s and kind of regretted it knowing that I wanted 37s. So in the shop it went for a regear to 5.13s and 37s.
Sponsored