Sponsored

The art of choosing your tire size.................

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi, 2015 2dr Jk hard rock rubi
I wanted a good lift with quality and parts to have correct geometry. Having lifted jeeps since the 80’s, I’ve always felt like I should have went bigger with every build.
My use is daily driving, light wheeling, towing a boat <50mi, and toad behind motor home.
I went with 40’s because they fit with my 4.5” lift. Decided to drive it for 1 week on 4.10’s to decide what gearing I really wanted. 24k miles driven and 4k miles toad, I’m still on the 4.10’s with no gears ordered. I’m getting 17-20mpg depending on seasonal mix. It runs, drives great and has more power than my wife’s 2019 4Runner. It does everything I want to do and is still working for my lifestyle. If I were to change I’d go with 4.88’s.
Sponsored

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport, 1995 YJ Cummins R2.8
Occupation
Retired slug. Drive RVs to Alaska
Im good with 33’s. I remember the days 31x10.50’s were the shit. And ppl did the rubicon on those. I also travel out of the US. Intend to take my Sports trim down south Jeeps helped make the 285 somewhat available down there. 35’s are not going to be available unless you plan to send one via DHL. And then that tire will cost like $1500. Seems to me 35’s to 37’s comes down to what the crowd is following solely based on aesthetics. If I had a Rubi with 4.10 and lockers I can see the appeal n it’s really one tire size up. 37’s also not a crazy stretch. I mean JT’s do run with beefy Dana 44’s after all. I moved up from 245’s to the 285’s. My sport is geared at 3.73 but I will be putting on ARB lockers and 4.56. Just note tire un sprung weight really starts ramping up at the 33’s and up. I prefer a tad lowered gearing for its use. So to me 33’s and 4.56. And this helps compensate the 2.72 geared transfer case in low. But a JT geared at 4.10!really anything 33 to 37 would be fine, and 35 max for 3.73 with gas engine as long as you flash it. 37’s and 3.73 it’s very advisable to regear more so if you live in hill and mountain country.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I wanted a good lift with quality and parts to have correct geometry. Having lifted jeeps since the 80’s, I’ve always felt like I should have went bigger with every build.
My use is daily driving, light wheeling, towing a boat <50mi, and toad behind motor home.
I went with 40’s because they fit with my 4.5” lift. Decided to drive it for 1 week on 4.10’s to decide what gearing I really wanted. 24k miles driven and 4k miles toad, I’m still on the 4.10’s with no gears ordered. I’m getting 17-20mpg depending on seasonal mix. It runs, drives great and has more power than my wife’s 2019 4Runner. It does everything I want to do and is still working for my lifestyle. If I were to change I’d go with 4.88’s.
Assume you are diesel if you are getting 20mpg with 40” tires.

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Assume you are diesel if you are getting 20mpg with 40” tires.
Nope, gas. Pulling boat drops to 15mph

Sponsored

jeep4x4bp

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 Wrangler Sahara
Not yet I’m about to order a tazer and I know that will correct some of it but I felt like even with the 33s this truck still couldn’t figure shifts out like other trucks I have had.

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I went 35s cause I got a set of geolandar mts for 1300 otd. Felt it was worth jumping on. That being said, can't wait to put some 37s on the truck.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
We all read the tire size threads...Bigger is better, 37's are the new 33/35's, 35's look too small, etc. Without getting into a battle, Im very interested to know people's individual thoughts on how they came to decide on tire size. Did warranty come into play? Daily driver? The extra expense of going larger (re-gear)? You like the look of a smaller or larger tire...
It just depends on how you use the vehicle. If you truly aren’t going to rock crawl with it, but want a larger look without costing you much long term — 315’s are a pretty decent sweet spot. Gladiator looks weird without a lift. If all did was camping/daily I’d probably just swap Mojave take offs, add 315’s and call it a day.

Otherwise, assuming the gasser, I’d regear to 5.13’s and run 38’s. Diesel I left gearing alone and 37’s do just fine. When I wheel it I swap my 40’s on beadlocks and while it could use a shorter gear set, it’s still acceptable.

RMFSJT

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 K1500, 13 Focus ST, 23 JT Rubicon
I have a 23 Rubicon on order I’ll be doing 37 and most likely 4:88s. For me it’s both looks and capability. I’m only planning on a 2.5 lift so that and the higher rubi fenders can really swallow up some tires. While I think most 35s on this set up look fine, 37 look better and give just a bit more clearance. Honestly I’ve listened to a lot of guys and gals here and other places that go 35s and wish they went 37. As for bigger than 37 that’s not for me sure it looks cool but I just don’t want it.

onebad427

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's ecodiesel
Occupation
driver
My first choice was to go 285/75-17, but I got a much better deal on a set of 285/70-17, that someone had ran about 50 miles and decided they wanted something different, saved myself about $400!! The price of tires today is NUTS Went with an Ultra wheel with +10 offset, ant that put them right where I wanted them. I have just a 1" front leveling spacer, and the stance is perfect in my opinion. When these are worn out, I'll probably go with the 75s. I like the look and ride of a taller sidewall.

Sponsored

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Well an update after my highway trip today. I was running 75-80 and seeing 8th without much issue even with a slight hill. But I checked my speed and the tire size setting I made with the Tazer did not stick because I was traveling about 4-5 MPH faster than the speedo said. Then I loaded about 500lbs of stuff into the truck (bed and cab), and I did not see 8th much at 75 MPH. And the gas mileage is about 14.5 (I normally ran about 18 all around). I've tried the set the tire size with the Tazer three more times today and it will not stay. More internet reading and videos tonight. I still love the 35s but am really suspect of 37s without a regear. Maybe once I get tire size set it I'll change my mind.

EDIT: Finally have the right size tire in the computer and made another trip on the same freeway, no extra weight this time. Truck drives great and is in 8th most of the time unless a steeper hill. And the mpg seems to be back to before the 35s. I went with the heavy Wildpeek AT3 same as stock only 35x12.5 instead of 33x11.5. I like the way they are pretty quiet, handle wet and dry pavement and seem to be tough enough to take on the off road world. Very happy with the look.

Last edited:

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s impressive, mine with 35s doesn’t do that well empty or towing.
Maybe is primarily driving on flat ground for me. I’m also told I’m old and drive like an old man by my grown children. No jackrabbit starts or hard braking. Ive adjusted tire size to 39.75 (actual size) on superchips flashcal then double checked speedo with gps.

Jeep Gladiator The art of choosing your tire size................. E6F0CF3A-3EDF-4878-9BD9-7CDB9AFC1C75

OP
OP
21Moja

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
Maybe is primarily driving on flat ground for me. I’m also told I’m old and drive like an old man by my grown children. No jackrabbit starts or hard braking. Ive adjusted tire size to 39.75 (actual size) on superchips flashcal then double checked speedo with gps.

Jeep Gladiator The art of choosing your tire size................. E6F0CF3A-3EDF-4878-9BD9-7CDB9AFC1C75
Maybe its a miles thing...She gets better with a bit of mileage under the belt

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
To find much offroading I have to travel hundreds of miles. And we tow a popup. And 3.73 gears. So it'll be stock-ish sized tires for us. My old truck with 30.5" tires and a longer wheel base did everything I wanted for Colorado mining roads, and went everywhere Oregon to Maine. The new JT has 31.5" plus armor bits for control arms, shocks, etc. I may have to avoid the most difficult offroad trails, but there is plenty left to enjoy, and the vehicle can still get us back home again.

I plain on switching the stock 245/75 17 for Cooper Discoverer LT 265/70 17, which is about the same diameter and almost an inch wider. And load range E. This seems to be a common size, lots of choices, and easier to find a replacement while out of state. Not much MPG hit and more width for soft soil.
Sponsored