Sponsored

To do, or not to do ...Plastidip? That is the question.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Jeep Gladiator To do, or not to do ...Plastidip? That is the question. 20200814_220848

Jeep Gladiator To do, or not to do ...Plastidip? That is the question. 20200814_220817

Jeep Gladiator To do, or not to do ...Plastidip? That is the question. 20200814_221337

Colour seems a little lighter... Metallizer didn't really put a lot of flake//sparkle on my sample.

I'm only thinking of doing the fenders.
Sponsored

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THREE Gladiators, and a JL Wrangler
My vote is ...... NO.

Its better to look stock and normal than like an ugly clown truck!

Its a great looking vehicle with the black fenders, don't mess it up.

Sorry but it doesn't look like it matches the paint.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
You Bought a 50k plus truck and you want to put dime store seen on TV crap on it?

Ya lost me.

NO.

Really.

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
I think Plastidip is great for small details (badges come to mind), since you can be pretty sloppy on masking and it looks fine if it’s not a focal point, but doing something as big as the fenders and just the fenders would look gross I think, and I had a previous truck sprayed entirely with plastidip so I have some time invested in the product.

If you’re wanting something more unique and cheap I’d look more at bed lining them or something, but whatever I did I wouldn’t try to color match them, the black fenders are a fine style choice on their own.

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Gladiator Rubicon
Automotive touch up will sell you the actual paint in spray cans.

I just got in my Gator Green to paint my diff covers. They sell the primer, base, and clear coats.

They mix it and send...

Dont plastic dip...do it right.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Sponsored

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow, Mazda Miata, Audi SQ5
Occupation
Motor-sports Event Manager

I just got in my Gator Green to paint my diff covers. They sell the primer, base, and clear coats.

They mix it and send...

Dont plastic dip...do it right.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/
I've used automotivetouchup.com and the color did not match my car. You can likely find a local auto paint supplier that can do the same thing (match and put it in a spray can). They will spend the extra time to make sure the color is a perfect match. That's what I ended up doing for my project.

OP
OP
basicGlad

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link

Got any photos of how yours came out?

I've used automotivetouchup.com and the color did not match my car. You can likely find a local auto paint supplier that can do the same thing (match and put it in a spray can). They will spend the extra time to make sure the color is a perfect match. That's what I ended up doing for my project.
There's a place near me called Motor Supply Co. which might really be an autovalue place or Small town local business. They've made me colour matched touch up paint before, I'll have to check if they can do a spray can.

I know on Mopar they sell both smooth and textured fenders. Do I need to sand or prep my fenders in anyway for real paint?

UseThe4orce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
For a little trim piece I would say do it. For the fenders....probably be an eyesore for you if its not an exact match.

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I wouldn't do plasti dip, I've done it on other vehicles in the past and it just doesn't hold up here in AZ to the sun. Also, as others have mentioned, buy some correctly matched paint to spray them. I have actually used automotive paint in rattle cans to do fender flares before with a 2 part clear rattle can with great results. Keep in mind you will need to wetsand once fully cured if you want a glass finish but you can get them just as good as factory paint with rattle cans on smaller areas like fender flares.

Sponsored

OP
OP
basicGlad

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
I wouldn't do plasti dip, I've done it on other vehicles in the past and it just doesn't hold up here in AZ to the sun. Also, as others have mentioned, buy some correctly matched paint to spray them. I have actually used automotive paint in rattle cans to do fender flares before with a 2 part clear rattle can with great results. Keep in mind you will need to wetsand once fully cured if you want a glass finish but you can get them just as good as factory paint with rattle cans on smaller areas like fender flares.
Know of a good guide or video tutorial?

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Know of a good guide or video tutorial?
Sorry I do not. If you are are talking about the textured black flares I would:
-wet sand to knock down the texture. Try 1000 grit and work down if it is too fine to knock the highs down
-use a maroon 3M pad to scuff the plastic
-use a good product like Final Wipe to clean/degrease the surface
-use a good adhesion promoter liberally, many different types to choose from
-primer
-rattle can color-automotive paint
-rattle can clear (2 part can).

I would do 2-3 really good clear coats. Let completely cure for at least a week then start going to town with wet sanding and buffing to get a glass finish. I would start around the 1500 then move to a higher grit then buff with good products to remove the haze from wet sanding and bring the clear back to a gloss. I use all Chemical Guys products, the V series which can be stepped from a high grit polish to a lower grit. Some regular scratch removers aren't aggressive enough to get the wet sanding scratches out.

Sorry text is garbage to show such a process but hopefully that gives you some insight. I have some pics at home of my flares I did on my Canyon if you want to see them.

OP
OP
basicGlad

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Sorry text is garbage to show such a process but hopefully that gives you some insight. I have some pics at home of my flares I did on my Canyon if you want to see them.
I would please

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would please
Here's some pics, first one is after the process I mentioned above, all rattle can automotive grade paint and prep supplies, second pic is after cutting and buffing. Third is a full pic showing the overall.

Before Polish.jpg

After Polish.jpg

20191023_165259.jpg
Sponsored