Sponsored

Took the stock steps off my Overland.

o2bnkc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2002 Corvette convertible, 2008 Peterbilt 388, 2008 HD Heritage
Occupation
owner/operator/guitar picker
LOL! I just installed these same factory Overland running boards on my Sport. I like the looks of them and I don't go off roading much, and I didn't like the holes showing. Now that they are on there, you guys are right. They are a PITA! I should have gotten the nerf style bars from AutoAnything for half the price.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I tried a couple different aftermarket steps and they all seem to cause the same problem.

The drop down style(nfab and rc) had the same problem getting out but a different problem getting in. Once on the step I was Soo high over the cab it was droping down into a Corvette... I'm a big guy so this was a big problem

I ended up getting factory rock slides to clean up the look and just lift the right hamhock into the cab and step in

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
I wanna take mine off but my wife is short, sooo...... But, a friend of mine has rock rails with steps. Just gotta get my wife to like them. Lol

OP
OP
Jeepnoob34

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I tried a couple different aftermarket steps and they all seem to cause the same problem.

The drop down style(nfab and rc) had the same problem getting out but a different problem getting in. Once on the step I was Soo high over the cab it was droping down into a Corvette... I'm a big guy so this was a big problem

I ended up getting factory rock slides to clean up the look and just lift the right hamhock into the cab and step in
The n fab predator pro steps look like the step is lower than the stock running boards. At $540, Iā€™m a bit gun shy to buy them. I need to slap the RBā€™s on to measure the mounting hole to step difference. Then hopefully they can let me know what theirs is. Hereā€™s the predator pros I was looking at.

2E89CFDF-E748-476E-B146-BD38B96988DB.jpeg

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
The factory are an awkward height for a 'step' for a 6' guy with mopar lift on 35's. BUT...I still do the monkey step anyway because they have more function than a 'step' to me anyway. #1 body protection, #2 they look right, #3 they are very lightweight yet tough af (maybe 10-12 lbs a side), and #4 they won't rust.

I'm never a fan of factory boards/steps, always aftermarket, except for the last couple generation Jeeps...the jk's, jl's, and jt's are all awesome imo! You can't have it all, some sacrifice will have to be made, for me i get more pros with factory overland boards than all the other options i can find online.

My kids and likely anyone under 5'9" will likely be far happier with them as a 'step' than 5'10 and up crowd. If you want to maintain clearance etc. you're going to have to make that sacrifice anyway. Clearance and looks...means you'll be up tight to the body no matter what.

They have a vehicle more suited to the easy step in and running boards that make even easier...called half ton pick up trucks. ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepnoob34

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
The factory are an awkward height for a 'step' for a 6' guy with mopar lift on 35's. BUT...I still do the monkey step anyway because they have more function than a 'step' to me anyway. #1 body protection, #2 they look right, #3 they are very lightweight yet tough af (maybe 10-12 lbs a side), and #4 they won't rust.

I'm never a fan of factory boards/steps, always aftermarket, except for the last couple generation Jeeps...the jk's, jl's, and jt's are all awesome imo! You can't have it all, some sacrifice will have to be made, for me i get more pros with factory overland boards than all the other options i can find online.

My kids and likely anyone under 5'9" will likely be far happier with them as a 'step' than 5'10 and up crowd. If you want to maintain clearance etc. you're going to have to make that sacrifice anyway. Clearance and looks...means you'll be up tight to the body no matter what.

They have a vehicle more suited to the easy step in and running boards that make even easier...called half ton pick up trucks. ;)
Iā€™m only about 5ā€™8ā€ and itā€™s awkward. I do like the added protection from elements, but itā€™s just too awkward of a step for me. Looks are obviously a matter of opinion. Personally, I donā€™t like the look of the boards on a Jeep. I agree with you on the weight though. I was pleasantly surprised at how light they were when I took them off.

slothead

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Overland
Occupation
NASA Consultant - EE
Vehicle Showcase
i replaced mine with Mopar performance rails . smaller step but easier for me to step around them.
ARB Compressor.jpg
Todd, whatā€™s the front bumper youā€™ve got on your Jeep?

Buzzlb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland: The Overcon ā€˜82 CJ-7
Build Thread
Link
CA34B64B-BC41-4300-9C2C-26F00646E89A.jpeg
5030C35A-7F90-4605-A06F-E7C7B3AE48FF.jpeg
Steps are now Aces!

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
The n fab predator pro steps look like the step is lower than the stock running boards. At $540, Iā€™m a bit gun shy to buy them. I need to slap the RBā€™s on to measure the mounting hole to step difference. Then hopefully they can let me know what theirs is. Hereā€™s the predator pros I was looking at.

2E89CFDF-E748-476E-B146-BD38B96988DB.jpeg
The nfab step hoops is slightly lower than the factory steps... But for me it was still to high to be functional. And all of their hoops are in the same location on their different products (I contacted them directly at the time)

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Todd, whatā€™s the front bumper youā€™ve got on your Jeep?
That is Hauk predator bumper they can be sold bare/powder coated factory color or black.

Sponsored

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Iā€™m only about 5ā€™8ā€ and itā€™s awkward. I do like the added protection from elements, but itā€™s just too awkward of a step for me. Looks are obviously a matter of opinion. Personally, I donā€™t like the look of the boards on a Jeep. I agree with you on the weight though. I was pleasantly surprised at how light they were when I took them off.
They jeeps sure do look good without them and easy to get in and out of. If i go without them one day like i did on my ram 1500 stock height, i spray box liner the entire rocker, on the jeep i'd probably do that to about 12" up, body colour. To help protect, plus mudflaps.

Another side benefit to the side steps i like is possible door ding protection.

My ram 1500 was littered with door dings in 6 years i had it. A JT lifted jt with factory side steps and some 4.5" bs wheels pretty much guarantees the only person door dinging you again is some huge lifted rig. I squeeze into pretty tight spots with confidence now. So far so good, part of the allure to the JT was it's narrowness. It's 26" narrower mirror to mirror than the ram 1500.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
gorgeous set up! is this stock height on 33's? whats your wheel/tire spec?

Buzzlb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland: The Overcon ā€˜82 CJ-7
Build Thread
Link
See previous post (s). ā€˜The Overconā€™
Sponsored