Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I can see situations to both lower and higher mounted options, as @JoseQ_80 showed. Seems like if you can get to it, lower is better because it would pull a bit straighter as opposed to a higher mount that might pull down and plow a little as it pulled..
Personally I wouldn’t be that afraid of using the hooks on a straight on recovery especially if using something to take up the slack as people have mentioned.

may wife slid her Jeep down a very steep ditch, ended up parallel to the road. Had to call a tow, and he looked at the hooks, and didn’t want to pull 90 degrees to those to get her uphill.
So he wrapped a huge tree saver type strap around the front axle, along with a strap around the closest bumper hook, and pulled with both straps. That worked pretty well to swing the front around and pull it uphill.
I wasn’t thrilled about pulling from the axle but didn’t have much option. Seems to drive fine since then!
The hooks being above the frame rail like they are means all of the stress is trying to bend the hook, it's applied to the body of the hook. It's like a chunk of metal clamped in a vise and then you pull back on the top part sticking out.
But if it's a direct pull you are relying on the tensile strength of the hook and bolts.
These hooks are beefy and if forged, would be quite strong.
Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
New to all this. Fascinated by the science behind it.
I have a flatlink for hooks. I have used my hooks for light recovery.
Recovery strap over the hook and pulling a high centered JT off a rock.

Used the winch on a straight line pull to a rear hitch soft shackle on a JT stuck in mud.

Ordered these:

https://www.hkoffroad.com/collectio...-jt-shackle-tab-kit-for-stock-rubicon-bumpers

Prefer closed systems when possible.
Subbing this discussion....look forward to learning more.

I think you're overlooking one of the biggest differences: stock hooks come up from the bumper, eyelets/shackles come out from the bumper. For that reason alone I'm not surprised that there is no "factory replacement" to swap the hooks out for eyelets. The leverage point is all wrong for that type of use.

Look at the factory rear bumper hook. That is how you want eyelets to be mounted. In line, facing outward (not upward).

Hooks in that location on the front are fine for lighter duty. If you want eyelets and shackles for heavier use, you need to mount them somewhere else anyway, so factory location replacement makes no sense. You don't want the force that shackles are made to work with to be translating through a 90 degree mount point. You want it linear to the direction of force being applied.

This is the same reason recovery is recommended through the rear hook, not the fronts. The fronts are not going to be able to hold up to as much force as the rear one.
IMG_9753.jpg

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Piecing together a Factory 55 kit, this server me well using only factory hooks?

Jeep Gladiator Replace the hooks with loops? 1651861208533

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
New to all this. Fascinated by the science behind it.
I have a flatlink for hooks. I have used my hooks for light recovery.
Recovery strap over the hook and pulling a high centered JT off a rock.

Used the winch on a straight line pull to a rear hitch soft shackle on a JT stuck in mud.

Ordered these:

https://www.hkoffroad.com/collectio...-jt-shackle-tab-kit-for-stock-rubicon-bumpers

Prefer closed systems when possible.
Subbing this discussion....look forward to learning more.

Jeep Gladiator Replace the hooks with loops? 1651861208533
Gotta say - love the look of that front end. The old-school lights and all. Nicely done.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Thank you, high praise indeed. Trying to build functional with a bit of individuality.
IMHO the mopar steel was the choice foundation. Seen a lot of great after market, but the MOPAR I love.

Gotta say - love the look of that front end. The old-school lights and all. Nicely done.

Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
My JK had shackles...JT and all my other Jeeps had hooks...never had a problem with any of them.
Think there are better things to spend money on.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired