Sponsored

Tow 21' bowrider with Overland? Or stick with Max Tow?

brandonlowe

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F150
Considering purchase of a Max Tow S or Overland. Does anyone have confidence in the Overland to tow a 21 bowrider and double axle trailer? I've been thinking that I need the Max Tow Sport S for months , but I've seen several Overlands going for good prices and dont want to pass on one if I see another.
I do know the towing specs of each , and I dont think my boat and trailer would exceed 5000lbs . I just know that just because it says it can tow it doesn't mean it won't be a handful !
Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I would suggest sticking with a max tow or a rubicon to get the 4.10 gears. I guess though it really depends on total weight and what type of towing. Just to launch locally or distance towing with hills?

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
I have a 22 foot Outrage with a dual axle trailer. It weighs about 5500 pounds loaded up with fuel and gear.

I only tow it a few miles to the boat ramp but I still got the max tow.

• Better gearing
  • Wide axles
  • Didn't need the 'luxury' overland features
  • Can tow other things if needed
  • More cargo capacity

OP
OP

brandonlowe

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F150
Does anyone else use an overland to haul a boat or anything the weight of a ski boat? Just needing an Overland owner's perspective /experience

Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Brandon,
60 miles each way is not alot if you tow your boat to the lake in the spring and home in the fall. If you mean each time you want to go skiing or fishing that is a hole different story not to mention pulling the boat out of the water and up the ramp each time. I don't see many Overlander owners answering your thread. It could be that if they were planning to tow at the time they where considering which Gladiator to get they went with the Max tow package.

OP
OP

brandonlowe

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F150
Brandon,
60 miles each way is not alot if you tow your boat to the lake in the spring and home in the fall. If you mean each time you want to go skiing or fishing that is a hole different story not to mention pulling the boat out of the water and up the ramp each time. I don't see many Overlander owners answering your thread. It could be that if they were planning to tow at the time they where considering which Gladiator to get they went with the Max tow package.
Lol probably so!
Yes I would be taking the boat to and from water each time, probably pointing me more in the direction of the max tow, which is where I started the whole process. I've just seen some great deals on the Overlands and didnt want to pass one up if they were capable.
Thanks for your reply

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Considering purchase of a Max Tow S or Overland. Does anyone have confidence in the Overland to tow a 21 bowrider and double axle trailer? I've been thinking that I need the Max Tow Sport S for months , but I've seen several Overlands going for good prices and dont want to pass on one if I see another.
I do know the towing specs of each , and I dont think my boat and trailer would exceed 5000lbs . I just know that just because it says it can tow it doesn't mean it won't be a handful !
I have an Overland with the Tow Package. It should be capable, but I have yet to tow anything with it.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Brandon,
I googled were you live and it looks quite hilly. I live on flatland. You should also be asking about gas mileage with the 4:10 gears as opposed to the 3:73 as an every day driver in hilly environment. I was worried about getting the Max Tow, that my mileage would be crap. But it turned out not so bad. I've
been getting between 19.5 to 21 lately with 33" tires. I would think it could do better with the 3:73 gears. Somebody should be able to tell you that lives in the hills.
By the way, you have some nice lakes around you.

OP
OP

brandonlowe

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F150
Good point...this will be a daily driver more than it will be used for towing the boat 4 months out of the year.

Reactions: KVJ

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Brandon,
I googled were you live and it looks quite hilly. I live on flatland. You should also be asking about gas mileage with the 4:10 gears as opposed to the 3:73 as an every day driver in hilly environment. I was worried about getting the Max Tow, that my mileage would be crap. But it turned out not so bad. I've
been getting between 19.5 to 21 lately with 33" tires. I would think it could do better with the 3:73 gears. Somebody should be able to tell you that lives in the hills.
By the way, you have some nice lakes around you.
but the 3.73 gears will struggle with the weight

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
That's what I'm wondering. In hills and mountainous areas, would you be better off with 4:10 gearing as apposed to 3:73 ?

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The 4.10s wn't be an issue with the 8 speed auto, because it has both a steeper first gear and more overdrive than the 5 speed auto in the JK. You definitely will be better served by 4.10. I was skeptical until I checked out the ratios of the trannies because I sought out 3.73 for my JK to keep some mpg. Also, the max tow has a better towing suspension and that is important with a bulky load and its tendency to sway, etc.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Yes, I think you need the Gladiator max tow for that boat and trailer.

It also really depends on your tolerance when towing. Are there a lot of hills and climbs to get to the lake ? In the 90s, we were used to towing slow up hills, as long as you do not over heat.... ie. V8's making less than 250 hp and 250 ft lbs of torque, but, then, power came up in the 2000s.

Personally, I have had 3 boats and some tow vehicles. Land Cruisers - old and new, Blazers, etc.... For my Mastercraft prostar 205 with double axle trailer, the best tow vehicle was a Land Cruiser FJ100. This vehicle had a 4.7 liter V8. The horsepower is basically the same as a Gladiator, but, the torque was 320 ft. lbs.... This makes a big difference in towing up hill and where the Gladiator is down on power.

I think you could tow your double axle trailer and 21 foot open bow boat with the Gladiator Max Tow and be satisfied, but, you really are at the power limit of the Penstar motor with that boat and trailer. Regarding towing in general, the long wheel base of the gladiator will be super nice and stable. The Max Tow also gives you the additional towing capacity and cooling which you desperately need with that Boat and double axle trailer.

OP
OP

brandonlowe

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F150
Good information and greatly appreciated. I'm between a max tow and a Rubicon listed locally used at a really good price and may pull the trigger on the Rubicon just on resale value alone . But that is another thread isn't it? Haha
Sponsored