Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT, 09 G8, 06 Ram 2500, 83 CJ7, 68 Firebird
Occupation
Engineering Manager (ME)
Everyone,

I just broke 200 of these mirror adapters being provided to the JT/Gladiator community (and JL owners, i'll admit). When I first started this endeavor, I wasn't sure how it would go. There have been some bumps along the way, mainly learning how to produce a 3D printed product at a larger quantity then I had planned/anticipated. We now have two (2) printers running almost around the clock, an almost three (3) year old boy (Wyatt) packaging four (4) screws into bags (90% of the time he gets it correct) and the take-over of half my wife's laundry room! It has been a great experience.

I would like to thank everyone that has either purchased or been involved with this! I've been a Jeep guy for the better part of my life and always known there was a bond between all of us. I never imagined it was as strong as it is. Thank you again and please share pictures of the adventures you guys go on and our adapters get to tag along with. Wyatt loves the pictures and really truly believes he is right there with you when he looks at them.

Thank you.

T. Andrew Horn
THORN-ENGINEERING

Phinneywood

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I purchased these adapters after we bought our first RV last month. We just finished a 3 week camping tour along the WA and OR coasts and I can’t say enough good things about them. Super steady at highway speeds, with the reach you need when towing, and they might even make the Jeep look a little cooler. Without a doubt the single best thing I could have added before towing.

To make the story even better, one of the adapter pieces developed a crack during the trip. It held up fine but when we got home today I contacted @Thorn-Engineering on eBay asking if I could purchase a replacement piece - I figured I’d over-tightened the strap. He got back to me within a few minutes and offered to send a replacement based on an improved design for no charge. How cool is that?

One last thought! When I bought these, it felt like the future. I discovered them on this forum on the Internet, they’re designed and 3D-printed by a gentleman in Ohio at his home. I bought them with the eBay app, paid with PayPal, and they showed up at my home a week later. And they not only worked, but they worked really well. It made towing with my wife and 2 precious kiddos a much safer endeavor. There are so many uninspiring ways technology manifests in our lives, but this was not one of those. This was damn cool. This was the future.

3FC2D6D7-7669-4AE7-89E0-CD9A50AC60FF.jpeg

86EECC2A-F35E-4B2D-945D-969CA57BD4E7.jpeg

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I think the maker said they are ABS plastic. If so and one happens to crack, you could fix it temporarily (e.g. on a trip) with ABS plumbing cement from Lowe's or Home Depot.

OP
OP
Thorn-Engineering

Thorn-Engineering

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Manager (ME)
I purchased these adapters after we bought our first RV last month. We just finished a 3 week camping tour along the WA and OR coasts and I can’t say enough good things about them. Super steady at highway speeds, with the reach you need when towing, and they might even make the Jeep look a little cooler. Without a doubt the single best thing I could have added before towing.

To make the story even better, one of the adapter pieces developed a crack during the trip. It held up fine but when we got home today I contacted @Thorn-Engineering on eBay asking if I could purchase a replacement piece - I figured I’d over-tightened the strap. He got back to me within a few minutes and offered to send a replacement based on an improved design for no charge. How cool is that?

One last thought! When I bought these, it felt like the future. I discovered them on this forum on the Internet, they’re designed and 3D-printed by a gentleman in Ohio at his home. I bought them with the eBay app, paid with PayPal, and they showed up at my home a week later. And they not only worked, but they worked really well. It made towing with my wife and 2 precious kiddos a much safer endeavor. There are so many uninspiring ways technology manifests in our lives, but this was not one of those. This was damn cool. This was the future.

Jeep Gladiator Tow Mirrors - Rampage Adapters for JT/JL 86EECC2A-F35E-4B2D-945D-969CA57BD4E7

Jeep Gladiator Tow Mirrors - Rampage Adapters for JT/JL 86EECC2A-F35E-4B2D-945D-969CA57BD4E7
Evan,

Awesome write-up and pictures! Your replacement "hooks" went out this morning. I've been a mechanical engineer for 20+ years mainly in the design side of things. Having a 3D printer is still mind boggling in terms of what can be made, that would have been virtually impossible to create without it.

Thanks again!

T. Andrew Horn
THORN-ENGINEERING

Thanks again!

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
After using these a few times, I have some suggestions. If you decide not to employ them, I'll end up imaging your adapters and printing my own with the changes.

They really need to have some angle added. This is a must-have to me as I have the add-on mirror pushed as far as it goes and it's not enough. I don't see an easy way to do this without printing them with a new angle. I'd also really love to have them just a bit farther out. My trailer is pretty narrow, and they still aren't quite far enough out.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Thorn-Engineering

Thorn-Engineering

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Manager (ME)
After using these a few times, I have some suggestions. If you decide not to employ them, I'll end up imaging your adapters and printing my own with the changes.

They really need to have some angle added. This is a must-have to me as I have the add-on mirror pushed as far as it goes and it's not enough. I don't see an easy way to do this without printing them with a new angle. I'd also really love to have them just a bit farther out. My trailer is pretty narrow, and they still aren't quite far enough out.

Thoughts?
SwampNut,

I know you've made the suggestion before and I apologize for not following up. If you could do some mocking up and provide feedback on how much angle you feel would be ideal, I will gladly look into changing/improving the design.

Thanks.

T. Andrew Horn
THORN-ENGINEERING

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Great, will do this weekend, when I do some other Jeep work. I'll try to get photos to mark up or something so you can see my logic. I don't expect agreement without evidence, and also accept that it could just be how I use them.

OP
OP
Thorn-Engineering

Thorn-Engineering

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Manager (ME)
Great, will do this weekend, when I do some other Jeep work. I'll try to get photos to mark up or something so you can see my logic. I don't expect agreement without evidence, and also accept that it could just be how I use them.
SwampNut,

Sounds like a great plan. If you'd prefer to send me what you find in a PM, feel free. But it is always fun to present and receive feedback in these forums from all of the others involved! :) I definitely enjoy the involvement, support and critiquing from everyone. Looking forward to a potential improvement!

T. Andrew Horn
THORN-ENGINEERING

Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
If @SwampNut is trying to get the mirror to be able to see more at an angle to behind the trailer,could something like this be made?
Jeep Gladiator Tow Mirrors - Rampage Adapters for JT/JL tavy-wedge-spacer-18

You can try it and if it works then glue it to the adaptor.

That's as good as my pea brain can work.

@Thorn-Engineering

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thorn-Engineering

Thorn-Engineering

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Manager (ME)
If @SwampNut is trying to get the mirror to be able to see more at an angle to behind the trailer,could something like this be made?
Jeep Gladiator Tow Mirrors - Rampage Adapters for JT/JL tavy-wedge-spacer-18

You can try it and if it works then glue it to the adaptor.

That's as good as my pea brain can work.

@Thorn-Engineering
KVJ,

I like it. Unfortunately its not that simple now that I look at it. It will need to be a completely new adapter design to incorporate a different angle. I am looking forward to seeing what SwampNut comes back with as i'm not 100% sure which way he'd like more angle and I know better than to assume. Some of my greatest accomplishments came from pea brained ideas!

Thanks and let me know if you come up with anything else.

T. Andrew Horn
THORN-ENGINEERING

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Yeah, that definitely can't fit. I'll be out doing stuff in a bit and get some idea photos.

Also, I really should have added that the adapters are SOLID, and really do solve the problem about 95%. So still a great buy. I'm just asking for more perfection at this point.

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
Got mine fitted today. Thanks for making these - every other tow mirror setup I looked at was either hokey or looked like trash, or both.

Your design is excellent, and I can see the trailer now. I do agree with the others on angle though, they could be a bit further out to facilitate better viewing. But I’m still happy!

A591546C-3D64-4A18-B3EC-5EBF076073C8.jpeg
D2A4C940-08AB-451D-84B9-A8F2D8AA1A3F.jpeg

334206B4-380A-4040-8ABA-B7F40A62DCE4.jpeg

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
On the driver’s side at least, I would recommend that the mounting plane be neutralized so that the Rampage mirror adjustment starts out in a more neutral position. As is, and you can see it in my photo, the driver side mirror is maxed out in its adjustment in one direction - trying to see the trailer.

The passenger side will be different of course. This is my only gripe ;)

CF9B28B2-E7B4-4F81-8ACE-4AF963DF3976.jpeg
Sponsored