Jeep Gladiator Overland Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just placed my order. Fingers crossed
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Can definitely vouch for the quality of these... did a cross-country move with them and never had to so much as re-tighten the straps. I would echo the same sentiment that angling the driver side a bit further out to allow it to go wider would be a good update if you do a 2.0.

OP
OP
Thorn-Engineering

Thorn-Engineering

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT, 09 G8, 06 Ram 2500, 83 CJ7, 68 Firebird
Occupation
Engineering Manager (ME)
Can definitely vouch for the quality of these... did a cross-country move with them and never had to so much as re-tighten the straps. I would echo the same sentiment that angling the driver side a bit further out to allow it to go wider would be a good update if you do a 2.0.
Thank you for the input!

BryantJT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ Rubicon, 2021 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Planner
Maybe I missed it. Do you have any interest in offering the part files to those of us with our own printers? Personal use only of course. STL only for printing, or if you want another set of eyes for mockup of the differently angled base, I use AutoDESK Fusion 360. (10 years industrial design, now it's just a hobby as I've changed career paths)

Also, what printer are you using with ABS? I haven't tried ABS yet, only flexible TPU of different shore values, PLA, and PETG. My CB mic holder, cellphone mount, and 3rd brake light assembly are all PETG on my 06 TJ Rubicon. I found it handles the heat and has no odor when printing vs discussions about printing ABS in the house.

Thanks!

Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
The adapters are great! I would also echo the statement for larger spacing for the drivers side, with the mirror pushed as far out as possible, not able to see the side of the trailer, only the front corner.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
These mirrors and adapters are a perfect fit for storage in HF small ammo box. With a little bubble wrap to keep them from rattling around. Fits under the front seat so you don’t have to look for them when you need them.

C162D555-A198-4181-A47B-DE1AA5A5C9B4.jpeg

TheClevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Received mine last week and installed (temporarily). Great fit and finish. Will test them out next week pulling our 30’ TT

OP
OP
Thorn-Engineering

Thorn-Engineering

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Manager (ME)
Maybe I missed it. Do you have any interest in offering the part files to those of us with our own printers? Personal use only of course. STL only for printing, or if you want another set of eyes for mockup of the differently angled base, I use AutoDESK Fusion 360. (10 years industrial design, now it's just a hobby as I've changed career paths)

Also, what printer are you using with ABS? I haven't tried ABS yet, only flexible TPU of different shore values, PLA, and PETG. My CB mic holder, cellphone mount, and 3rd brake light assembly are all PETG on my 06 TJ Rubicon. I found it handles the heat and has no odor when printing vs discussions about printing ABS in the house.

Thanks!
Josh,

I have kicked the idea around, but feel it best from a quality standpoint to continue altering and improving the design myself. I enjoy and appreciate everyone's input and suggestions as there is always room for improvement. I will be working on a larger angle driver side base, but i'm not a fan of "stretching" or moving the mirror out much, so we will see how that goes. I have a Ram 2500 Diesel with Dodge's tow mirrors and can't see the entire side of a 101" wide trailer. The purpose of the tow mirrors is not to see the entire trailer, but to make sure there isn't someone in the lane next to you when you are changing lanes.

I am using a FlashForge Dreamer NX for the ABS. I will tell you, it is by far the trickiest (PITA) material to print.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I’d toss the mirrors and adaptors in your truck and stop at a hardware store and pick up a couple screws, 1200 miles of driving without mirrors can really be a drag. I’ve towed a travel trailer behind a 1982 Scrambler, not fun merging on ramps and such! I can see why your upset but probably 20 minutes at a hardware store and good to go.....Jack

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Guess the post I was replying to was deleted, oh well, guess he is on the way down the road.....Jack

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
The purpose of the tow mirrors is not to see the entire trailer, but to make sure there isn't someone in the lane next to you when you are changing lanes.
I disagree. I want to see my tires for one, and being able to see them has saved my ass more than once when there was a problem. I've also had a tire shred itself unseen, and cause damage. I also want to see slightly behind me. When that tire shredded, a guy stopped and said he'd been flashing lights at me for miles. He just didn't have the knowledge that he needed to see my mirrors for me to see him.

Good situational awareness requires more than just the lane change view.

OP
OP
Thorn-Engineering

Thorn-Engineering

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Manager (ME)
I disagree. I want to see my tires for one, and being able to see them has saved my ass more than once when there was a problem. I've also had a tire shred itself unseen, and cause damage. I also want to see slightly behind me. When that tire shredded, a guy stopped and said he'd been flashing lights at me for miles. He just didn't have the knowledge that he needed to see my mirrors for me to see him.

Good situational awareness requires more than just the lane change view.
SwampNut,

Understood and agreed, unfortunately most trailers are 8'+ wide (up to 101"). Seeing that would require mirrors to stick out a long ways (thinking of my Ram 2500 with Dodge's flip out tow mirrors), which even have limited vision on a full width trailer.

I have a 101" wide enclosed two-place snowmobile trailer I'll be doing some testing on in the next day to show what an additional 10 degrees of mirror angle gets. Here are the new adapters with the increased wedge/angle.

16062306029045741121297097314289.jpg

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Here are the new adapters with the increased wedge/angle.
Special deal on just one, for early buyers of the original one?

I get that trailers get wide. Most people towing with a JL will be pretty narrow, and those with a JT maybe not as much. My own trailer is narrower than most (because I bought it to tow with the JK). I used to have a 2500 diesel also and towed much bigger stuff. All different markets IMO.

OP
OP
Thorn-Engineering

Thorn-Engineering

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Manager (ME)
Special deal on just one, for early buyers of the original one?

I get that trailers get wide. Most people towing with a JL will be pretty narrow, and those with a JT maybe not as much. My own trailer is narrower than most (because I bought it to tow with the JK). I used to have a 2500 diesel also and towed much bigger stuff. All different markets IMO.
SwampNut,

Absolutely! I will be offering replacement driver side adapters (two (2) wedges that attach to the mirrors). Once I get the new design tested and presented to the forum for feedback, I will be listing them for sale. There will be no need to purchase an entire new set.

Thanks again!

T. Andrew Horn
THORN-ENGINEERING
Sponsored