Sponsored

Tow package and Max tow package are NOT the same!

GreenMountainBillyGoat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.VermontBackcountryCottages.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
goat roper
Okay, before some of you folks roast me for this post, please remember that not everyone is a motorhead and I’m learning as I go...but I figured others might learn from my mistake.
I recently purchased a Sport with what I thought was the Max tow package. I need to pull a John Deere 4066R with the appropriate trailer to tow it and one implement. I saw an ad for a Sport with the “tow package” and everything I wanted. I went to the dealer in Bennington, VT and talked to them the same day. I told them what I wanted to do with it and verified multiple times that it could do what I needed. I think I likely interchanged “max tow package” and “tow package” several times.
Long story short, I got the wrong truck and I’m sick to my stomach.
Make sure the window sticker says Max Tow Package and 4:10 gears or the truck doesn’t have Max Tow.
Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
William, how heavy is the 4066R? With the 8-speed automatic transmission, both the Sport and Sport S can each tow 4,500 pounds. I know it's not 7,650 of Max-Tow...

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
This is not a huge problem ... You should be able to change the rear end gearing to 4.10 ... People do it all the time ... It will cost a few bucks but it wont break the bank ...

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Well true but he did say that he is (sick to his stomach) and since he will likely own the truck for at least a few years, why not make it how you want it to be ...

Work a deal for them to do it at cost or something since they played a part in the mistake ?

If they are a good dealer, I assume that they would want to make it right ...

Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
its 6k to make it 4.10 ? Is that for replacing both axles ? Or is that for regearing existing ones ?

Is it because the max tow is dana 44 ? I could understand that ...

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
This is not a huge problem ... You should be able to change the rear end gearing to 4.10 ... People do it all the time ... It will cost a few bucks but it wont break the bank ...
Wider axles, cooling, and alternator are the other big reasons for tow rating, limiting factor really being cooling. So no, adding 4.10 gears will not get you there. The tow package has the alternator and cooling system I believe, but you still dont have the wider axles

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Yes, but the cooling is just a bigger fan .... Also a 240AMP alternator and 4.10 gears ...

OP do you need more than 6k capacity ? If not you can probably be good to go ..

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Yes, but the cooling is just a bigger fan .... Also a 240AMP alternator and 4.10 gears ...

OP do you need more than 6k capacity ? If not you can probably be good to go ..
Isn't the difference in the tow package vs Max Tow, the wider axles with 4.10 gears and IIRC the springs and shocks are different? The springs and shocks would be cheap and easy with all of the take offs I see posted. The gearing would be expensive. I guess you could do wheels with a different offset or spacers if you were concerned about the track width. IIRC, the tow package on my Overland (6k lb capacity) lists the 240 amp alternator and upgraded cooling.

edit: He'd be over 6k lbs with that 4650 lb tractor, an implement and an appropriate trailer to pull it.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isn't the difference in the tow package vs Max Tow, the wider axles with 4.10 gears and IIRC the springs and shocks are different? The springs and shocks would be cheap and easy with all of the take offs I see posted. The gearing would be expensive. I guess you could do wheels with a different offset or spacers if you were concerned about the track width. IIRC, the tow package on my Overland (6k lb capacity) lists the 240 amp alternator and upgraded cooling.

edit: He'd be over 6k lbs with that 4650 lb tractor, an implement and an appropriate trailer to pull it.
Yes! Progressive and stiffer rear springs

OP
OP
GreenMountainBillyGoat

GreenMountainBillyGoat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.VermontBackcountryCottages.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
goat roper
The dealership wrote me back and said my truck will tow 6,485lbs. See image.
It says depends on configuration though...makes me skeptical at this point...

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
The dealership wrote me back and said my truck will tow 6,485lbs. See image.
It says depends on configuration though...makes me skeptical at this point...
What does your trailer weigh? I’d imagine it’s at least 1500 lbs and what does the implement weigh? Those typically aren’t light. Google says your tractor weighs 4650 lbs. I’d think you’d be over 6485 lbs.
Sponsored