Towing an Airstream and sway issues with anti sway hitch

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I'm not familiar with that hitch setup you have and its hard to tell from the pics but you have to remember the further the ball is from your rear wheels the more leverage the trailer has to induce sway. Think of how sticking a really long stick out the back of your receiver would make it easier to move the truck side to side.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I had not noticed how crazy far back that ball is. That's also like putting your payload on the tailgate and not over the rear axle. That's got a heck of a lot of leverage over the small light back end of that truck.
I prefer the ball be right up as close to the rear of the truck as is possible without interference.
I never magnified the photos to see - but now - I think MrJeep may be onto something possibly.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had not noticed how crazy far back that ball is. That's also like putting your payload on the tailgate and not over the rear axle. That's got a heck of a lot of leverage over the small light back end of that truck.
I prefer the ball be right up as close to the rear of the truck as is possible without interference.
I never magnified the photos to see - but now - I think MrJeep may be onto something possibly.
Yeah, thanks, first thing that jumped out at me. Very odd setup to be that long.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, thanks, first thing that jumped out at me. Very odd setup to be that long.
That IS long. Does it look like the whole heavy front section (tongue area) of the frame has been chopped off and replaced with a tubular metal? I expanded the picture to see the hitch better and I'm trying to figure that out too.

OP
OP

BARTAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sports S Max Tow
The hitch is very interesting, even though the ball is very far away from the truck it doesnt turn on the ball, The ball is fixed to the hitch and the front section of the hitch (orange piece) acts as a turning point(ball?) , Still further than traditional setup but not too much,

you can see how it works in here
https://hensleymfg.com/how-does-the-hensley-hitch-work/

I can also get some detailed pictures in the morning.

Currently I am adding some weight to the front and will check in two weeks for our maiden voyage (300 miles) . If I still have sway I will change the hitch and buy 3p

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Not quite the same, but when I was towing my 16 ft Scamp Deluxe with my LJ. I had to put my spare tire in front of Scamp to help with tongue weight. Especially if I had water in fresh water tank and or gray water tank had any in it with empty blackwater tank. With a 10% tongue weight it would be squirrelly. I'd try to make it at least 15% and make sure trailer tire pressure is spot on, some travel trailer tires lower capacity (load rating) than what it should be. Trailer sway can be due to that and low pressure in them. I've got a Anderson weight dist hitch, not the best one available but it works for me, and easy to adjust with a 1/2 drive ratchet.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I honestly dont know, I have been told with good weight distribution hitch airstreams are the easiest to pull with smaller (!) tow vehicles . If anyone who has more experience with towing a long gig behing gladiator please let me know
No it isn’t. You should be fine if everything is set up correctly. Well within your capacities as long as you truck isn’t loaded too heavy. Just watch your payload numbers

Edit: sorry just realized this is an old thread!

OP
OP

BARTAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sports S Max Tow
I am glad you replied I was looking for an excuse to follow up with this thread. Things I learned

• If you over do weight distribution hitch your ride becomes softer but you are more susceptible for sway
  • Putting heavy things on the back of the truck effects sway more than I expected, try to keep it light
  • My Airstream seems level but I need to move it to a higher position (thats what I do with WDH) . My next updates are sumosprings ,changing wheels and adding an uplift kit to airstream (3inch)

Thanks for all the useful information , I have towed more than 4K over 8 months and I am very happy where I am right now.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If a trailer is swaying, you have insufficient tongue weight 97% of the time.

No matter what, you're going to have some sway because that's a long trailer; leverage sucks and you'll just need to learn to deal with it.
Lost woods nailed it. Always err towards max tounge weight. A cg shift a few inches forward can make a huge sway difference.
Also, that airstream is awesome!
Sponsored