Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, F350 4X4 crewcab, 1956 Airstream, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired :)
Hello
Getting back into the Jeep world with hopefully a new Jeep truck. We bought our first jeep from a dealer located in Pickens SC back in 1977 — CJ7 with V8 and manual wish we still had it and then had a 1984 or 86 Scrambler about 10 years ago. Now we are looking at the new Jeep truck that will be used around the farm in South Carolina, carry our dog in a crate, and pull a 1956 Airstream. Will be looking for a camper shell and getting a truck with brake controller or install a third party unit.
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Lotsa different size Airstreams...:movember:

tweak89

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2002 Thunderbird
Well, max towing (Sport S with Max Tow Package, any other combination has a lower tow rating) is 7650lbs. I pull a 19' Vista Cruiser RV that weights around 3500lbs with no issues. Judging by the weights of other Airstreams from that era, you should be OK, but if you want more accurate help, actual details would better.

JT-S-Maxi-IND

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 1998 Pontiac Sunfire convertible
Occupation
Retired (Sales)
In addition to understanding the towing weight specs of Gladiator models, you need to take into total anticipated payload. Payload is impacted by passengers, cargo, the shell will impact that and tongue weight of your trailer. All needs to be accounted for besides “loaded” trailer weight.

here is an excellent reference I found very useful before and after I purchased my Sport S Max Tow. I encourage you to review this and keep some factor of cushion in your calculations.

https://www.curtmfg.com/understanding-towing

Sponsored

OP
OP

Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Our airstream weighs less than 2200 lbs loaded. Brand new in 1956 it weighed 1800 lbs. I will look at the link JT-S provided. I plan on installing a platform In the bed so the dog crates can sit on and I can store equipment

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I pull a 16' fiberglass trailer made by scamp weighs close to your Airstream. I got the Max Tow package option. Pulls great, no weight distribution hitch needed.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
May be a little off topic. But what made you guys choose airstream. I know they’re great quality/aluminum construction. I’ve always loved them But the layouts are snug and they’re beyond expensive. Please By no means Am I knocking them as they are gorgeous with excellent quality. just trying to understand better.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
May be a little off topic. But what made you guys choose airstream. I know they’re great quality/aluminum construction. I’ve always loved them But the layouts are snug and they’re beyond expensive. Please By no means Am I knocking them as they are gorgeous with excellent quality. just trying to understand better.
Mine is a 1967 - so quality counts for something. There aren't any plain white boxes that will still be around in 50 years, and I wouldn't bet against mine still being around.

That and when we camp, we spend the majority of the time outside, you know, camping, and not sitting inside, so I see little need for more room. When we are inside it's comfortable. We may get a new one when we retire as we plan to travel 3-4 months out of the year, but by then it will just be two of us so we may go to a smaller unit, not bigger.

Plus they tow really nicely.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mine is a 1967 - so quality counts for something. There aren't any plain white boxes that will still be around in 50 years, and I wouldn't bet against mine still being around.

That and when we camp, we spend the majority of the time outside, you know, camping, and not sitting inside, so I see little need for more room. When we are inside it's comfortable. We may get a new one when we retire as we plan to travel 3-4 months out of the year, but by then it will just be two of us so we may go to a smaller unit, not bigger.

Plus they tow really nicely.
Agree with what you say. Our AS is a 1956 and we have had it for 5 years and couldn’t be any happier. We took 3+ weeks movi g from Huntington Beach to Tryon N.C. and camped every day except 4. It was the two of us and a golden retriever. Our AS is only 16ft and if we were going to be on the road for months, a larger trails would be nice.

Austingobi

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator S
Love those set ups. Our dream would be an Airstream. Half the dream accomplished with the purchase of the Gladiator. Just have to save s bit more coin. Might get a Geo-pro in the meantime.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
My Airstream is 25 years old, bought new in May 1995. Still tight and solid, tows beautifully, not buffeted by winds nearly as much as my box trailer. Stick and stapled trailers look nice but don't last so well. Just as we buy a Jeep for what is underneath the gloss, that is what we should study on a prospective trailer purchase. Open the access doors and see how it is really constructed.
Sponsored