Sponsored

Towing Black Series HQ15 Travel Trailer Camper?

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2013 JKUR, 2008 JKU Sahara (sold)
Black Series understates the weight of their trailers, I just finished registering my Patron and I had to have it weighed (bought it last July in AZ, CO requires a certified weight on camping trailers more that 2000lbs) - completely empty it was 3680, website says 2977... That said - the Patron is a tank (in a good way) for dragging around in the mountains.
That is unacceptable unless it's because of options. They're just asking for a lawsuit after an accident. But good to know, thanks.
Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Black Series understates the weight of their trailers, I just finished registering my Patron and I had to have it weighed (bought it last July in AZ, CO requires a certified weight on camping trailers more that 2000lbs) - completely empty it was 3680, website says 2977... That said - the Patron is a tank (in a good way) for dragging around in the mountains.

I’d love to see some pics

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I like how your pup's staked HIS claim :CWL: :CWL: :CWL:

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
You might as well start truck shopping, or return that HQ15 for a C12.

If your truck struggles with a trailer on road, and that trailer is an off road trailer, logic will dictate that trailer is going to become a permanent fixture somewhere way off of the highway.

I say it in every one of these threads, but if you are planning on pulling a trailer that exceeds 60% of the factory "tow rating" for any appreciable distance or over rough terrain, prepare for disappointment.
If you expect to pull a trailer and not feel the trailer back there, just don’t pull one at all. Of course the closer you pull to nothing the better that driving experience will be.

But you are right to an extent that you will be disappointed if you expect the gladiator to drive like a gladiator not under load, while towing a trailer long distance or over rough terrain... it just won’t be the same.

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you expect to pull a trailer and not feel the trailer back there, just don’t pull one at all. Of course the closer you pull to nothing the better that driving experience will be.

But you are right to an extent that you will be disappointed if you expect the gladiator to drive like a gladiator not under load, while towing a trailer long distance or over rough terrain... it just won’t be the same.
I don't have a problem with others saying they were disappointed with the Gladiator towing loads over 60% of the tow rating. But he is simply incorrect when he emphatically claims others will be disappointed just because he was, or he believes they will be. By saying this person should start truck shopping or switch to a smaller camper tells me he has never towed with a jeep JKUR or a JTR/JTmaxtow ( or he is very uncomfortable towing).

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I believe your point is a person should take the time and weigh out what they're packing (dry and wet) before they commit to a camper (or TV) because it probably weighs differently than one thinks and guessing isn't smart. The total weight in the camper, of the camper and in/on the truck is more important than simply looking at the dry weight of the camper and making sure it's some random % under the TV's tow rating.

If someone does that and their weights are OK then that means a Gladiator can safely tow a HQ15. If there is too much payload then buy a different TV or camper.
Correct. This is brought up a lot on camper/rv forums. I mentioned in another forum we emptied one of our motorhomes one year that we traded. I weighed everything as I had time as stuff came out. I was over 2K in what I called junk, not counting what would have been in the fridge on a normal camping trip, nor the cooler full of ice and beer that was already in the basement for the year. I certainly never thought stuff weighed that much but it adds up over time. We tried to be better about stuff in then ew motorhome but I noticed recently when I opened a compartment crap feel out again.

I have towed travel trailers, pop ups, fifth wheels and now have motorhomes and every one I always over packed. I also early on took the dealer word for "oh you can tow it fine" and ended up upgrading trucks after finding out that although I can tow it I shouldn't tow it deals....

I love my JT but know its not built to tow the same as my F150.....

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

"Struggling with" does not equal "not feel the trailer back there"

The only reason I have to have a trailer behind my Gladiator is for entertainment and relaxation, that's it. There is a point that I arbitrarily and unscientifically assign in factory rated tow points that towing becomes work and robs me of any enjoyment to be gleaned from the trip.

That arbitrary and unscientific opinion is based solely in personal experience, and yours my vary.

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only reason I have to have a trailer behind my Gladiator is for entertainment and relaxation, that's it. There is a point that I arbitrarily and unscientifically assign in factory rated tow points that towing becomes work and robs me of any enjoyment to be gleaned from the trip.

That arbitrary and unscientific opinion is based solely in personal experience, and yours my vary.
well said. everyone needs to figure out what is enjoyable and safe for themselves within the speedlimit and TV/Camper specs. Start slower and cautiously to take time to learn and experience towing each setup.

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Struggling with" does not equal "not feel the trailer back there"

There are many people here towing above 60% of their tow capacity and are perfectly happy with their experience and ability of the truck.

My issues is with your statement that:
“ if you are planning on pulling a trailer that exceeds 60% of the factory "tow rating" for any appreciable distance or over rough terrain, prepare for disappointment”.

Sounds like you are speaking about the minority on this forum, not the majority. I actually don’t remember one person saying they pull a 4600 lb trailer were really disappointed.

If your comparing the gladiator to a 3500, yes you will be disappointed. There are several on this forum that have pulled 7k trailers up big mountains and for very long distances.

It’s all about perception and expectation, but I’m seeing more people happy with their towing experience vs. not happy with the gladiator. It’d be interesting to see if we could get a poll going to see some metrics.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
There are many people here towing above 60% of their tow capacity and are perfectly happy with their experience and ability of the truck.

My issues is with your statement that:
“ if you are planning on pulling a trailer that exceeds 60% of the factory "tow rating" for any appreciable distance or over rough terrain, prepare for disappointment”.

Sounds like you are speaking about the minority on this forum, not the majority. I actually don’t remember one person saying they pull a 4600 lb trailer were really disappointed.

If your comparing the gladiator to a 3500, yes you will be disappointed. There are several on this forum that have pulled 7k trailers up big mountains and for very long distances.

It’s all about perception and expectation, but I’m seeing more people happy with their towing experience vs. not happy with the gladiator. It’d be interesting to see if we could get a poll going to see some metrics.
Link to people pulling 7000 pound trailers with a JT for "very long distances"?

But first let's define "very long distances".

For me a "very long distance" would begin at 1000 miles one way.

I have pulled far too many trailers in the 7-13k class with far more capable tow vehicles than a JT to know that pulling a 5k trailer behind a JT for 1000 miles one way will be nothing but a struggle. Re-read the post I was commenting on, he's in 4th gear on mild grades, LOL that may in fact be your expectation for a competent towing experience but it sure isn't mine.
I bought mine to use as a comuter between my two addresses, they are a little over 4k miles apart and are on opposite sides of the continental divide. You couldn't pay me enough money to make that trip with a 5k trailer. 100 miles in Nebraska? Sure. 500 miles across the Midwest maybe. 2000 mile round trip including large grades and high elevations? Not on a bet.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Got my HQ15 yesterday. Found out the 2021 dry weight is 1000#’s heavier than earlier models due t adding 2 additional batteries(4 now) and other included updates. Then I transferred what I had in my Lance 1172 truck camper, and boy do we need to go on a major diet! Gladiator was down shifting to 4 th on long gradual inclines ( to the point where I had to decelerate enough to climb back into 5th gear. Not good.
I'm quoting this again because this guy is experiencing exactly what you guys say he won't experience with a trailer that is well below the advertised tow rating.

And he is experiencing that on road, and although it is indeterminate apparently a fairly short distance.

4th gear on "long gradual inclines".

If that meets your expectations with regards to the factory tow ratings then cool, it definitely doesn't meet mine.

ETA :for the record Black Series lists the dry weight of that trailer @4722 which +\- 67 % of the factory tow rating.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Link to people pulling 7000 pound trailers with a JT for "very long distances"?

But first let's define "very long distances".

For me a "very long distance" would begin at 1000 miles one way.

I have pulled far too many trailers in the 7-13k class with far more capable tow vehicles than a JT to know that pulling a 5k trailer behind a JT for 1000 miles one way will be nothing but a struggle. Re-read the post I was commenting on, he's in 4th gear on mild grades, LOL that may in fact be your expectation for a competent towing experience but it sure isn't mine.
I bought mine to use as a comuter between my two addresses, they are a little over 4k miles apart and are on opposite sides of the continental divide. You couldn't pay me enough money to make that trip with a 5k trailer. 100 miles in Nebraska? Sure. 500 miles across the Midwest maybe. 2000 mile round trip including large grades and high elevations? Not on a bet.
Yep, it’s all about perception. I would consider short distance... around town to up to 50 miles. Long distance... a couple hundred or so. 1000 miles... that’s in the “cross country” category for me.

Just look through the pages.. many with people towing around 6-7k range:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/so-what-is-everybody-towing.19105/

Will you feel it back there? Of course. Will it feel like a f350 nope Nope. I don’t think many people are getting the gladiator to tow with across county.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Yep, it’s all about perception. I would consider short distance... around town to up to 50 miles. Long distance... a couple hundred or so. 1000 miles... that’s in the “cross country” category for me.

Just look through the pages.. many with people towing around 6-7k range:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/so-what-is-everybody-towing.19105/

Will you feel it back there? Of course. Will it feel like a f350 nope Nope. I don’t think many people are getting the gladiator to tow with across county.
Look right up there to see a guy who isn't experiencing joy at something well below 7000 pounds.

Is the factory tow rating qualified by distance? Of course it's not.

If you can't tow it with relative impunity for whatever distance you may choose, then the trailer is too heavy.

I'm going to stick with my 60%
Sponsored