Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Healthcare Management / Veteran
Greetings Everyone:

I’m looking for some thoughtful impressions per an offer on the table I have from an area Jeep dealer.

They have a 2021 Gladiator Rubicon in stingray with the tan interior, cold weather package, safety package, front camera, body colored hard top and fenders on their lot they are willing to sell me for $60,600 ($3,000 off MSRP).

In addition, they are willing (and all of this is in a signed buyers order) to give me $71000 for my 2022 GMC Sierra HD AT4 with only 1,800 miles on it. That’s over $3,000 more than I paid for it late in 2021 (after fees and taxes). The few other used trucks like mine (2022 HD AT4, gas) I see for sale in a 300 mile radius of me are on dealer lots for $75-$76k, so I know they’ll make money.

I don’t need the 2500 AT4, but I like it for the extra cabin room and bed space. I’ve owned a Gladiator Rubicon two years ago and liked it. I didn’t keep it as I was offered a great deal on it for a Mazda CX-9 of all things (at the time I was doing 1000 miles of highway driving each month on top of in town driving; I’m now doing 95% in town driving with a 2 mile commute to work) which eventually led me to the aforementioned and current daily driver: the 2022 GMC HD AT4.

Anybody have impressions they’d be willing to offer on this deal? As GMC will be upgrading the HD’s to the new 1500 cabin for 2023, this deal for my AT4 seems like about the best I can expect this year especially when I’m getting a decent deal on the new Gladiator in return. Thanks in advance for your input!

[photos of my GMC and the Gladiator are attached]

Jeep Gladiator Trading my 2022 GMC HD (gas) for a new 2021 Gladiator Rubicon 5A369E37-C724-4E2B-94D8-A8ACDE26E929

Jeep Gladiator Trading my 2022 GMC HD (gas) for a new 2021 Gladiator Rubicon C335310B-065A-475D-A2FC-4876B05822E5
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
If you don’t need a 2500hd go for it, if that gladiator has everything you want, I love my gladiator, but I always look at 2500hds, miss my 11 gmc hd but the gladiator has every option I want and the top and doors come off so I’m always glad I got my gladiator in the long run

OP
OP
willgabriel

willgabriel

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you don’t need a 2500hd go for it, if that gladiator has everything you want, I love my gladiator, but I always look at 2500hds, miss my 11 gmc hd but the gladiator has every option I want and the top and doors come off so I’m always glad I got my gladiator in the long run
Thanks so much for your helpful input WKyfire (are you in W KY? I’m from there too, if so). The GMC HD AT4 is really nice, but I don’t have to have it (or the Gladiator either for that matter). I don’t tow much at all and the likelihood of going off road per lake trails and using the 5’ bed far exceed the need for the longer bed. The interior room is a bit of a compromise, yet I was comfortable in the 2020 Gladiator, as was my now 8 year old son who likes both rigs for similar and different reason (so do I). I’ve also owned a newer PowerWagon. I feel like the Gladiator is a good combination of a PowerWagon and a Toyota FJ Cruiser (which I really liked when I owned it)… if you don’t drive on the highway a lot each month, which I don’t anymore.

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
Thanks so much for your helpful input WKyfire (are you in W KY? I’m from there too, if so). The GMC HD AT4 is really nice, but I don’t have to have it (or the Gladiator either for that matter). I don’t tow much at all and the likelihood of going off road per lake trails and using the 5’ bed far exceed the need for the longer bed. The interior room is a bit of a compromise, yet I was comfortable in the 2020 Gladiator, as was my now 8 year old son who likes both rigs for similar and different reason (so do I). I’ve also owned a newer PowerWagon. I feel like the Gladiator is a good combination of a PowerWagon and a Toyota FJ Cruiser (which I really liked when I owned it)… if you don’t drive on the highway a lot each month, which I don’t anymore.
I was in west ky for 4 years(Christian co), wife and I just moved back to northwest oh to be closer to family, just can’t change my
Name on here, a full-size truck is very roomy but I love Jeeps interior, I love taking doors and top off and having a soft top in the summer on mine, if you and your son are comfortable in the gladiator go for it, my
Opinion is the bed could be bigger but it works 95% of the time for me and it can tow plenty enough for me since I don’t pull a camper mainly my 10ft utility trailer

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I don’t need the 2500 AT4, but I like it for the extra cabin room and bed space.
Well, if you like the JT more than you like having more room then it seems like a deal.
You are losing a year's depreciation right out of the gate tho w/ it being a 2021 model-

Sponsored

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck Driver
I own both except diesel on the GMC and can't imagine only owning the gladiator.
GMC pluses
More interior space
more interior comfort
better handling
more bed capacity
more towing capacity
better fuel mileage
more reliable
safer
I realize some of those are subjective.
Jeep was mainly purchased for off road ability and it is fun to drive.

OP
OP
willgabriel

willgabriel

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, if you like the JT more than you like having more room then it seems like a deal.
You are losing a year's depreciation right out of the gate tho w/ it being a 2021 model-
Solid pt re the depreciation year. One of the main questions I’m answering is: “Are you committed to keeping the Gladiator for at least three years?” If not, I think the pendulum swings back to keeping the 2022 GMC. Both are really good trucks for different reasons. If I could find a diesel Gladiator in hydro blue or stingray, at the same deal, I’d not be debating the choice.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sounds like a fair deal all around. I'd take it.

You could probably do better selling yourself. But maybe not. Plus you would need to pay off the note and get title in hand because nobody is going to give you $70k so you can get your title back.

Expensive cars are tough to sell if you don't have the title. Even then, people are leery about spending 75K on a vehicle that isn't coming from a dealer.

So in all, I think you should go for it.

OP
OP
willgabriel

willgabriel

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That sounds like a fair deal all around. I'd take it.

You could probably do better selling yourself. But maybe not. Plus you would need to pay off the note and get title in hand because nobody is going to give you $70k so you can get your title back.

Expensive cars are tough to sell if you don't have the title. Even then, people are leery about spending 75K on a vehicle that isn't coming from a dealer.

So in all, I think you should go for it.
Really good and appreciated points, thank you. In researching dealer asking prices for the few used 2022 GMC HD (gas) AT4’s like mine available, I’ve seen anywhere from $74,500-$78,900. Considering the MSRP was $68,780 (and I paid a few thousand below that), I can’t fathom why anyone would pay that much more for a used one. Yet, it’s obviously happening somewhere.

There are so very few HD’s like mine available in general and especially in comparison to Gladiator’s. And I am aiming for a 2021 Gladiator as Jeep raised the MSRP’s on all the 2022’s. So, when I was offered over $70k for my truck at the dealer and a few thousand under MSRP for the 2021 Gladiator Rubicon equipped almost exactly as I want it (with the brown leather seats too) - especially b/c I get the full tax credit in Illinois due to me trading a truck for a truck, I knew I’d not come out better trying to sell on my own. As you said, it’s a harder sell when the vehicle is priced above $60-$70k and the buyer would have to wait for the title to be released.

OP
OP
willgabriel

willgabriel

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I own both except diesel on the GMC and can't imagine only owning the gladiator.
GMC pluses
More interior space
more interior comfort
better handling
more bed capacity
more towing capacity
better fuel mileage
more reliable
safer
I realize some of those are subjective.
Jeep was mainly purchased for off road ability and it is fun to drive.
Thanks for the solid input, Fouts. If I had the Duramax and Allison combo, I’d be less swayed by this deal (then again, I’d likely be offered in the $80k’s for my truck if it were a 2022 AT4 HD Diesel). My gas V8 gets about 14 mpg combined and less in town.

I do agree with you on every other pt re the GMC though - except for reliability per the gas V8 and 6 speed vs the Gladiator V6 and 8 speed (I think that’s a push). For me and my usage, the truck bed size and towing differences won’t matter. So, it comes down to cabin size difference, comfort, and fun plus the deal (the savings; with the Gladiator getting about 3-4 mpg better overall).

I was comfortable in my last Gladiator - and it had enough room for my son, who can sit in the front in the next two years if need be. Our Labrador won’t have as much room in the back seat of the Gladiator, yet he had enough before. And there’s no question the Gladiator is more fun to drive - especially around town, yet that heads up display and extra gas power of the AT4 are nice (even though the 6 speed transmission is lacking compared to the 10 speed Allison or 8 speed in the Gladiator).

So, it really does come down to value and daily utility plus fun. I wish I could have both vehicles. I’m grateful to even be able to own one. Thus, the question seeking wise counsel - “For my needs and usage, factoring in the deal on the table, which one is the better choice?”

Sponsored

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck Driver
Thanks for the solid input, Fouts. If I had the Duramax and Allison combo, I’d be less swayed by this deal (then again, I’d likely be offered in the $80k’s for my truck if it were a 2022 AT4 HD Diesel). My gas V8 gets about 14 mpg combined and less in town.

I do agree with you on every other pt re the GMC though - except for reliability per the gas V8 and 6 speed vs the Gladiator V6 and 8 speed (I think that’s a push). For me and my usage, the truck bed size and towing differences won’t matter. So, it comes down to cabin size difference, comfort, and fun plus the deal (the savings; with the Gladiator getting about 3-4 mpg better overall).

I was comfortable in my last Gladiator - and it had enough room for my son, who can sit in the front in the next two years if need be. Our Labrador won’t have as much room in the back seat of the Gladiator, yet he had enough before. And there’s no question the Gladiator is more fun to drive - especially around town, yet that heads up display and extra gas power of the AT4 are nice (even though the 6 speed transmission is lacking compared to the 10 speed Allison or 8 speed in the Gladiator).

So, it really does come down to value and daily utility plus fun. I wish I could have both vehicles. I’m grateful to even be able to own one. Thus, the question seeking wise counsel - “For my needs and usage, factoring in the deal on the table, which one is the better choice?”
Not sure anyone can make that call but you, do what want and don't have any regrets.

OP
OP
willgabriel

willgabriel

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not sure anyone can make that call but you, do what want and don't have any regrets.
Agreed. The ultimate decision is and will be mine. On such a big purchase, I do like input from knowledgeable people who have experience with the subject matter. It aids me in being sure I’m seeing clearly in both the short and long run. Greatly appreciated!

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
and a few thousand under MSRP for the 2021 Gladiator Rubicon equipped almost exactly as I want it (with the brown leather seats too)
When I bought my Gladiator, it was almost exactly as I want it. I probably could have got a higher percent off on a different one at a different dealer, but I knew I would regret it later. It's seems to me you have a perfect storm of variables converging to facilitate this purchase of almost exactly what you want.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just thought of something else.

In many states, when you trade you only pay sales tax on the difference in value. So if you have a 50k trade and your state has a 5% sales tax, the real value to you of trading is 50k +$2500 sales tax savings.

So given the huge value of your trade, I'd say that you do not want to sell it privately because with the sales tax savings, its definitely not worth the hassle.

This is also something to take into account when selling to someone like Carvana. You will only get the sales tax break if you sell to the dealer that you are buying the new car from.

OP
OP
willgabriel

willgabriel

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just thought of something else.

In many states, when you trade you only pay sales tax on the difference in value. So if you have a 50k trade and your state has a 5% sales tax, the real value to you of trading is 50k +$2500 sales tax savings.

So given the huge value of your trade, I'd say that you do not want to sell it privately because with the sales tax savings, its definitely not worth the hassle.

This is also something to take into account when selling to someone like Carvana. You will only get the sales tax break if you sell to the dealer that you are buying the new car from.
Exactly. In Illinois (and I’ve double checked this), you get the full tax benefit if you trade a truck for a truck. So, I’d be on the plus side with this trade because I’d be going through I dealer.
Sponsored