Sponsored

Transfer case not staying in 4L or 4H

coolbreezesd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Holy crap, they replaced the entire transmission!
Just picked it up today. Drove about half a mile in 4L. No issues so far. Description of work done is posted below and all covered under Jeep warranty.

image.jpg
Thanks for sharing your service order. I’ve shared the image with my dealer in hopes they just replace mine too.
Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Hi Guys. New member here. I’ve had my (stock) Gladiator Rubicon about 30 days now. Love it - accept my 4Lo is popping into neutral regularly. It has happened a half a dozen times when traversing up moderate grade hills. It will either pop out right in the middle of the assent (so dangerous) or after cresting the hill and leveling out (usually at about 5 mph). I took it to my jeep dealer last week and rode with a technician up a small incline behind their dealership and it popped out into neutral, once going forward, and once in reverse. They said there is no recall or bulletin about the issue. I’m suppose to go camping for a week (in 10 days) I hope I have my Jeep back by then! Please let me know if any further information is available. I’ll keep you up-to-date on my end. Thank you!

What dealer?

OP
OP
Glad-iator

Glad-iator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2016 JK Rubicon
Occupation
Automation Tech
Thanks for sharing your service order. I’ve shared the image with my dealer in hopes they just replace mine too.
Just following up. Have you heard back from your service department yet?

coolbreezesd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just following up. Have you heard back from your service department yet?
Hi. The service department said they adjusted “a cable” to make it a bit easier to shift into 4Lo. They shifted into and out of 4Lo 20 + times and drove it up a small incline in the back of the dealership with no more problems. I’ve tested it myself a few times now with no problems. I’m going to keep monitoring it.

jhataway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Hi. The service department said they adjusted “a cable” to make it a bit easier to shift into 4Lo. They shifted into and out of 4Lo 20 + times and drove it up a small incline in the back of the dealership with no more problems. I’ve tested it myself a few times now with no problems. I’m going to keep monitoring it.
Mine has been having this issue since first day use of 4 wheel drive. It is in the show right now for the four time. 1st service adjusted linkage, 2nd service replaced transfer case, 3rd service adjusted linkage. It always seems fine and then it goes right back to having the issues after each attempt to resolve. I curious what they are going to suggest next...

Sponsored

coolbreezesd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Guys. good news. After having issues with my four Lo popping out and the dealer adjusting the cable linkage, I have had no further issues. I spent the last month climbing the mountains of Colorado and made it to Moab for a bit and it stayed in four Lo and was a champ. The dealer said that it’ll get easier to shift it into four low and that I just likely wasn’t getting it all the way into gear. I hope that’s the case.
Jeep Gladiator Transfer case not staying in 4L or 4H CB3726D8-F043-4579-92E6-99CBECA47A87

BreakFixRepeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys. good news. After having issues with my four Lo popping out and the dealer adjusting the cable linkage, I have had no further issues. I spent the last month climbing the mountains of Colorado and made it to Moab for a bit and it stayed in four Lo and was a champ. The dealer said that it’ll get easier to shift it into four low and that I just likely wasn’t getting it all the way into gear. I hope that’s the case.
Jeep Gladiator Transfer case not staying in 4L or 4H CB3726D8-F043-4579-92E6-99CBECA47A87
I can say that over time mine has gotten much easier to get in and out of 4 low. At first you actually had to slam your hand on the shifter to get it in and out, now its alot smoother and just a firm pull gets it in and out no problem.

jhataway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Just got call from dealership and they have fully tested the transfer case in manual code. They are saying that the linkage had too much slack in it between 4H and 4L, that has now been adjusted to take the slack out. I don't know but I'm not getting the warm and fuzees on this one right now. We will see how the week trip in Tennessee is handled next week.

jhataway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Just got call from dealership and they have fully tested the transfer case in manual code. They are saying that the linkage had too much slack in it between 4H and 4L, that has now been adjusted to take the slack out. I don't know but I'm not getting the warm and fuzees on this one right now. We will see how the week trip in Tennessee is handled next week.
I took it out last night after getting it back and it engaged into 4H and 4L like a champ. I will continue to test and post back here on updates.

EgulAye

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5, 1987 YJ, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I've had my JTR for less than a month and have only tried to use the low gear a couple times. On both occurrences the transfer case seemed like it had shifted into 4L but it was actually in neutral. Reading through these posts I want to get out with the Jeep and do some controlled tests to see if I really have an issue or if it's just been my casual approach to using 4 low.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Glad-iator

Glad-iator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automation Tech
get in a bind like I did. I guide hunts and was in the bottom of a canyon with customers when I discovered there was a real issue. Took several hours and a lot of winch time to get back out.

EgulAye

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5, 1987 YJ, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
get in a bind like I did. I guide hunts and was in the bottom of a canyon with customers when I discovered there was a real issue. Took several hours and a lot of winch time to get back out.
I went out on the back lawn to try it. 4L is tough to engage but stays once its in. Then I had a really hard time getting back to 4H. When trying 4L again it would pop back to neutral again easily. I held the shifter in 4L and drove forward. As soon as the Jeep moved it stayed engaged. Shifting the transfer case back to N it didn't feel like disengagement, sure enough I still had 4L.

So, I can get the transfer case into each position but the indicator is out of synch with actual engagement. And some shifts are really hard. I am going to use it a few more times in the coming days. The jeep has a service appointment at the dealership for transmission cooling lines next week. If there's a problem I'd like to discuss it with them while I'm there.

OP
OP
Glad-iator

Glad-iator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automation Tech
So mine would feel good going into 4L. But then it would slip out. Some times it would slip all the way to neutral, but on occasion it would just pop out a little way and the 4L light would disappear. The Jeep would keep crawling, but as soon as I hit a ledge i found that it was not in 4WD. More like a 2 low. I know that sounds impossible, but I watched it spin the back tires and never move the front ones.

BreakFixRepeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I went out on the back lawn to try it. 4L is tough to engage but stays once its in. Then I had a really hard time getting back to 4H. When trying 4L again it would pop back to neutral again easily. I held the shifter in 4L and drove forward. As soon as the Jeep moved it stayed engaged. Shifting the transfer case back to N it didn't feel like disengagement, sure enough I still had 4L.

So, I can get the transfer case into each position but the indicator is out of synch with actual engagement. And some shifts are really hard. I am going to use it a few more times in the coming days. The jeep has a service appointment at the dealership for transmission cooling lines next week. If there's a problem I'd like to discuss it with them while I'm there.
Sounds to me like yours is working fine but it just takes a while to get worn in. Mine was the same way you are describing yours but with use has gotten much better and smoother. At first it really took alot of force to get in and out of 4 low. And also i will need to double check but im pretty sure the owners manual says to shift into 4 low at a slow roll and also pretty much says to man handle it.