Travel Trailer advice

sroberts1519

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Thinking about getting a travel trailer and wanted some advice. I have a stock Overland - there are no plans to lift or put larger tires on the Overland.

Years ago I pulled a Fleetwood highwall tent trailer (loaded around 3600) with a Jeep Liberty. I had no problems towing that trailer at 55 to 60 mph on the highway.

With my new Gladiator Overland (with factory tow package), I am reconsidering entering into the RV world.

The trailer I am looking at is the Forest River Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FBRS. (from product literature) dry weight is 4171, hitch weight is 412.

I have found alot of information on this forum about towing with Sport (max tow), and Rubi, but not much with the Overland. With the Overland's max tow at 6000 pounds, is this a good trailer to pull? 90% of my towing will be in Oklahoma (flat land), and I don't drive over 60 while towing. I also don't plan on towing with full tanks on the RV.

I will be towing with WDH with sway control, and a brake controller. Is this trailer too much for the Overland? Or can I go even bigger with the Overland (I found several trailers that I like but weigh more)?

Thanks for the advice
Sponsored

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Great trailer to pull. Just make sure you get a weight distributing anti sway hitch. I would recommend the 10,000# Equalizer. And electric brake controller. I would not recommend going bigger. Loaded down that will be all the 3.6 really wants without stressing the transmission.

OP
OP

sroberts1519

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great trailer to pull. Just make sure you get a weight distributing anti sway hitch. I would recommend the 10,000# Equalizer. And electric brake controller. I would not recommend going bigger. Loaded down that will be all the 3.6 really wants without stressing the transmission.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have not researched WDH much, but I have heard good things about the Equalizer hitches. As for brake controllers, I was thinking either the Mopar stock one (not sure if I want to give up the 12V plug on the dash) or the Redarc Tow Pro Elite.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback.

As for brake controllers, I was thinking either the Mopar stock one (not sure if I want to give up the 12V plug on the dash) or the Redarc Tow Pro Elite.
What I have . Works great and very simple install. Plus you can take it to other vehicles.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Thanks for the feedback.

I have not researched WDH much, but I have heard good things about the Equalizer hitches. As for brake controllers, I was thinking either the Mopar stock one (not sure if I want to give up the 12V plug on the dash) or the Redarc Tow Pro Elite.

If you want to tow in the next year you are going to need to go with the redarc probably. I like how mine turned out.

Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Really depends how much gear and how many people you'll have also. Every bit of those count towards that tow rating. Personally I wouldn't want to be more than 5k loaded as the idea of hitting max ratings is often not the best idea.

Personally I have a max tow (lifted on 34's) and am looking at one that's around 3500 dry. Add my wife and kid, stuff, water, etc and I'm figuring I'll be around 5k loaded which should be pretty comfortable.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
FWIW, we have a 2015 Micro Lite 25KS that we love. I don't tow it with a JT, as I don't own one.
Incidentally, the Durango pictured has a tow rating of 6200 lbs. (3.6 Pentastar). We only tow this way for two miles from storage to camp ground. Wouldn't want to tow interstate with this set up. Camper is prolly 5K or a bit more 'wet'.

Jeep Gladiator Travel Trailer advice 20180615_145519

Last edited:
OP
OP

sroberts1519

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for the information.
According to my spreadsheet:
Weight of cargo in jeep (people, stuff, gas, no tongue weight) is approx. 650 pounds. (If the wife and I went on a diet, we could reduce this weight. lol)
Total weight (wet) of trailer with WDH included is approx. 4800 to 4900 pounds. I don't plan on ever towing with full tanks in the trailer. just enough to eat a meal while on the road, or use the restroom.
If anything, my numbers are rounded high.

Most of my trips will be weekend get-a-ways. I won't be packing the trailer for a 1 month long trip.

Gladiator_AJ

First Name
A.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
From my experience towing with a stock Overland w/tow package:

2020 Viking 17BH, 3100 lbs DRY, 3840 Gross, 340 lb Dry Tongue.

Traveling with myself, wife, dog, and our daughter, no WDH or antisway, we have encountered no issues for the roughly 500km I've put on with this combo. The truck typically settles into 6th when going 100km/h, typically bouncing between 5th and 6th over some of the rolling hills we hit on the way to the campgrounds.

I like a few others opted for the Curt Spectrum brake controller. Installed in place of the 12V lighter socket. Took less than an hour to rig up, again no issues (once the correct harness was installed)

This is my first travel trailer, so my sample size of towing is limited, but I think, if I was to push anywhere near the max tow for this truck I would be worried about the fuel economy and the stress on the engine/transmission. Happy so far with this combo, but if I was going to go up a class of trailer I would probably consider a bigger truck. (not because the Gladiator couldnt DO it, would just prefer the peace of mind of having some fudge factor)

BUT if I ever have an opportunity to hook up to something bigger, I will likely give it a go out of curiosity!

Cheers,

Jeep Gladiator Travel Trailer advice IMG_4302

Jeep Gladiator Travel Trailer advice IMG_4234

jrlandrum

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
Thanks everyone for the information.
According to my spreadsheet:
Weight of cargo in jeep (people, stuff, gas, no tongue weight) is approx. 650 pounds. (If the wife and I went on a diet, we could reduce this weight. lol)
Total weight (wet) of trailer with WDH included is approx. 4800 to 4900 pounds. I don't plan on ever towing with full tanks in the trailer. just enough to eat a meal while on the road, or use the restroom.
If anything, my numbers are rounded high.

Most of my trips will be weekend get-a-ways. I won't be packing the trailer for a 1 month long trip.
Do you tow with the transmission in M+, or do you tow with the transmission in drive?

Sponsored

OP
OP

sroberts1519

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you tow with the transmission in M+, or do you tow with the transmission in drive?
I have only towed a 2500 pound (loaded) utility trailer a short distance in the city with the Gladiator, and I kept it in drive for that. When I was on the highway, the Gladiator was in 8th gear.

jtnp

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Wannabe Four Wheeler
Thinking about getting a travel trailer and wanted some advice. I have a stock Overland - there are no plans to lift or put larger tires on the Overland.

Years ago I pulled a Fleetwood highwall tent trailer (loaded around 3600) with a Jeep Liberty. I had no problems towing that trailer at 55 to 60 mph on the highway.

With my new Gladiator Overland (with factory tow package), I am reconsidering entering into the RV world.

The trailer I am looking at is the Forest River Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FBRS. (from product literature) dry weight is 4171, hitch weight is 412.

I have found alot of information on this forum about towing with Sport (max tow), and Rubi, but not much with the Overland. With the Overland's max tow at 6000 pounds, is this a good trailer to pull? 90% of my towing will be in Oklahoma (flat land), and I don't drive over 60 while towing. I also don't plan on towing with full tanks on the RV.

I will be towing with WDH with sway control, and a brake controller. Is this trailer too much for the Overland? Or can I go even bigger with the Overland (I found several trailers that I like but weigh more)?

Thanks for the advice
Isn't the max tongue weight on an Overland just 400 lbs? Not sure if the WDH will help get around this. I find the trailer tongue weights are as important as overall weight. Also, a tent trailer tows way easier than a regular trailer. I've towed a few different trailers with my JT and I can definitely feel every 1,000 lbs. I'm currently towing a 2,600 lb 22 ft folding A-frame folding trailer and imho 3k is the sweet spot for the JT. Keep in mind that I'm running a max tow with a 4.10 rear and also 35s. I also frequent areas where there are frequent wind advisories. With the folding trailer I'm never concerned about sway or the trailer moving the JT. Best of luck on your RV search.

Last edited:

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't the max tongue weight on an Overland just 400 lbs?
An Overland with Tow package the Tongue weight is 600 pounds.. Without Tow package it's 400 pounds. Not sure if rear springs/shocks are different or just the engine/transmission cooling and alternator?

elizabethmanning

First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A8
Occupation
jobless
Hey!! If you like traveling and you're searching for a place to stay when you're going somewhere I wouldn't really suggest a trailer. Trust me, I bought a trailer before, and it definitely wasn't the best investment. I ended up selling it because of some defects and I got less than half of what I bought it for because trailers' prices highly decrease over the years. After that, I did a bit of research and found out that the best investment for a place to stay while traveling is a holiday house. I ended up buying a vacation cabin from onholidays.com.au and it's my best purchase.

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey!! If you like traveling and you're searching for a place to stay when you're going somewhere I wouldn't really suggest a trailer. Trust me, I bought a trailer before, and it definitely wasn't the best investment. I ended up selling it because of some defects and I got less than half of what I bought it for because trailers' prices highly decrease over the years. After that, I did a bit of research and found out that the best investment for a place to stay while traveling is a holiday house. I ended up buying a vacation cabin from onholidays.com.au and it's my best purchase.
Old post but good opinion, T.T. depends on type and model on values. I've had very many trying to buy mine, even after I've been using it for many many years. So opinions very, a few of my worst investments.... a house and a boat both are never-ending holes you throw money in.
Sponsored