• Total voters

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I had a Wrangler Sport S and regretted it, especially after buying new axles, lockers and the sway bar disconnect. Spent a lot of hours sourcing and installing not to mention the money. Just get the Rubicon, that’s what I did with my Gladiator and I’m very happy. While I don’t go on trails that often anymore it’s nice to know I can get through almost anything if I wanted to, no extra work involved.
I have the Clayton 3.5 kit and 37” tires, that along with the factory stuff and I can go almost anywhere.
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
You are also missing out on the high output alternator and heavy duty cooling package.
That’s why I said get the regular tow package: it offers the same cooling & alternator as the max tow package.

Kevin

Monkeywrench

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra, Triumph motorcycles
Occupation
Risk Management
I’m in the same boat as buying my first jeep! Mine will see very light off-road use so I’m thinking Sport S Willys. I really like this trim package. Would love a Rubicon but I think overkill for my needs. The Willys seems perfect for a daily driver with just enough off-road capabilities to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mortalsphere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator wannabe
Didn't know you could do that without damaging the paint. FIRST JEEP... 😬

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
That’s why I said get the regular tow package: it offers the same cooling & alternator as the max tow package.

Kevin
I didn’t think the tow package gets you all that. I thought it just gave you the class IV hitch.

If the regular tow package gets you all that, then go for it!

I didn’t get the tow package since it only added the hitch. Got all the other stuff being a diesel rubi.

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
I didn’t think the tow package gets you all that. I thought it just gave you the class IV hitch.

If the regular tow package gets you all that, then go for it!

I didn’t get the tow package since it only added the hitch. Got all the other stuff being a diesel rubi.
On the Willys the trailer tow package gives you
  • 240-Amp Alternator
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch
  • Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling
  • Trailer-Hitch Zoom

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I went optioned out Sport S max tow over Rubi so that would be my vote. Rock crawling is not my thing. Stresses me out too much.

Coming from a vehicle with rear lockers I think I used them twice over the 4 years I had the car, so LSD is acceptable to me. Disconnects are simple.

For my weekend warrior work, towing, camping, and bit of off roading I enjoy the Sport S makes the most sense.

Added Rubi take off rails. With bumper and winch, and maybe bigger/more aggressive tires on the “one day” list.

Love it so far.

I do wish I had the Rubi hood...

Sponsored

Bantam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
If you aren’t intending to hit off-road parks, you’ll likely be fine with a Sport S and a better set of tires. Takeoffs are cheap and plentiful, and if you get them from a Wrangler you’ll have a matching spare! These are quite capable, especially with just a tire upgrade.

However, if a Rubicon or Mojave is in your budget, go for it. Resale will be a bit higher if it turns out off-roading isn’t your thing and if you’re already thinking about getting one you’ll probably regret “settling” for a Sport later.

That said, I like and am quite happy and content with my Sport S. Maybe my next Jeep will be a Rubicon, but I’m hoping to keep my current Gladiator for a long time.

Good luck, Jeep shopping should be a somewhat enjoyable thing and I have no doubt you’ll enjoy whichever trim you end up with once you get it into its element. Even errands and commutes are less monotonous once you get the top and doors off. 🍻

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
It's my 1st jeep as well. I went full Rubicon. No regrets. I think for your case, a Rubicon would be all you need plus some future proofing in case you wander off deeper into the woods than you had planned initially. Get the aux switch and trail rails too. You'll want them later. Sure you can get these options including steel bumper later, but then you'd have to pay to get them install unless you can and want to spend the time doing it yourself. I went with the former and glad I did. I did spend the time to install my own lift though.

Outside Reality Check

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Toyota 4Runner LTD
Occupation
Surgical Technologist
Vehicle Showcase
I am a first time Jeep owner and went Rubicon with everything, max tow, cold weather, safety, premium sound, BT speaker, cargo, aux switch, trail cam, even a block heater-(in CA?), ( no bed liner and headliner), easy fix, every option works for me; best truck I ever had. When the Mojave became available, I was really close to trading in the Rubi. Instead the Rubi is luring me into a journey of mods that will make my wildest dreams come true. I'm a lost cause. Be pragmatic, get what you want - want, and enjoy every minute behind the wheel. It's going to be weird when total strangers stare at your truck, smile, and compliment you, you'll get used to it.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Kevin
Max tow is much more than a hitch. It's also progressive springs that provide a stiffer ride.
Trac-Lok® Anti-Spin Rear Differential
4.10 Axle Ratio
Heavy-Duty Dana 44 Wide Front Axle
Heavy-Duty Dana 44 Wide Rear Axle
Daytime Running Lamp System
240-Amp Alternator (Unavailable with some configurations)
245/75R17 All-Terrain Tires (Unavailable with some configurations)
Class IV Receiver Hitch (Unavailable with some configurations)
Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling (Unavailable with some configurations)
Trailer Hitch Zoom (Unavailable with some configurations)

Didn't know you could do that without damaging the paint. FIRST JEEP... 😬
Heat gun, or blow dryer.

Screenshot_20210414-062438.png

Last edited:

TM_Overland

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
If you're on a budget and don't intend to rock crawl or rip through the desert, stick with a Willy's or Overland. Willy's comes with a few more off road options standard.
I have an Overland since Willy's wasn't available when I purchased.
Sponsored