Sponsored

Truck Covers USA Tonneau: Pros and Cons?

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
Truck Covers USA appears to be the option for a secure, retractable tonneau cover. I was wondering how they got around the fuel filler issue when others did not. When pondering the photo, it became clear to me. The side tracks on the cover extend 4 inches into the bed on either side, leaving a 48 inch wide opening with the cover retracted. I verified this with their customer service folks. I have never owned a pickup with a tonneau cover. It seems like this is a problem, but would appreciate views from those who have real life experience with tonneau covers. Here is where I am so far.

Pros:
Durable
Secure
Looks good/Sleek
Easy to open and close
Offers tracks for a Yakima rack system

Cons:
Horribly expensive
Extends 4 inches into the bed on each side -might make it tough to get in that all important sheet of plywood (I had to work plywood into this)
Overhang potentially limits utility of trail rails or other side bed attachment systems?
Makes it difficult to tie in any cargo taller than the tonneau without putting undue pressure on the tonneau tracks?
Takes up space in forward part of bed for box

I am now thinking I need to go back to looking at the roll up covers with the aluminum slats that offer some security when closed.

sema-banner-2019-v3.jpg

jeep-banner-2019-v3.jpg
Sponsored

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
As you already mentioned:

Con: $2,600.

I just bought a Diamondback SE and Front Runner Rack for much less and that includes the load bars. If I am not mistaken The Truck Covers USA rack will only have the rails for the $2,600 price. That said I cannot roll up the cover whenever I want. It's actually not hard to remove but it needs to be planned for.

Bassman2

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jkU
Any pics of the Diamondback???? I've got one on an f350 and I'm thinking it would look good on the Gladiator.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Any pics of the Diamondback???? I've got one on an f350 and I'm thinking it would look good on the Gladiator.
Here you go...

20191110_131631782_iOS.jpg

20191112_213302118_iOS.jpg
20191112_213304870_iOS.jpg

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
Here you go...

20191110_131631782_iOS.jpg

20191112_213302118_iOS.jpg
20191112_213304870_iOS.jpg
Nice! Will those rails support a Roof Top Tent? I know the Diamondback SE is only rated for 400lbs. However, since the rails are on the edges of the DB cover, do you think your setup can support static weight of 550lbs? (Roof Top Tent + 2 adults)

Sponsored

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Nice! Will those rails support a Roof Top Tent? I know the Diamondback SE is only rated for 400lbs. However, since the rails are on the edges of the DB cover, do you think your setup can support static weight of 550lbs? (Roof Top Tent + 2 adults)
I don't feel qualified to answer that question. I would think it would most likely be fine but to play it safe a Diamondback HD might be better?

The idea of using the Diamondback SE + Front Runner load bars was not mine. Check out this video which is what inspired me. He uses a RTT on a Diamondback SE, although he added a third load bar.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
I don't feel qualified to answer that question. I would think it would most likely be fine but to play it safe a Diamondback HD might be better?

The idea of using the Diamondback SE + Front Runner load bars was not mine. Check out this video which is what inspired me. He uses a RTT on a Diamondback SE, although he added a third load bar.
I am copying your (his) setup. Thanks for the video link.

His setup is definitely over 500lbs. on top of that DB SE when he sleeps in it. I assume the 400lbs. load limit for the DB SE applies for stuff loaded on the middle of the cover. However, with the brunt of the weight being supported on the rails located at the edges of the DB SE cover, the weight should not be an issue.

Reactions: Tim

SoonerDPT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon (sting-gray), 2013 Kawasaki KLR
Anyone running this with a rooftop tent?

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
I just installed my rtt on the tonneau yesterday. Drove 120 miles on the highway today, everything looks good so far.

Trying the tent out for the first time tonight. Will let you know how it goes.

Did you have any specific questions?

BF3EC467-4B0B-4330-994C-35B54C913C12.jpeg

Sponsored

SoonerDPT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just installed my rtt on the tonneau yesterday. Drove 120 miles on the highway today, everything looks good so far.

Trying the tent out for the first time tonight. Will let you know how it goes.

Did you have any specific questions?

Jeep Gladiator Truck Covers USA Tonneau:  Pros and Cons? BF3EC467-4B0B-4330-994C-35B54C913C12
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. My biggest question/concern was whether or not it would handle the weight of tent on the trails and/or weight of two people sleeping up there. How much does your tent weigh?

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. My biggest question/concern was whether or not it would handle the weight of tent on the trails and/or weight of two people sleeping up there. How much does your tent weigh?
Tent is about 120lbs, combined wt of me and the fiancée is about 330. Truckcovers told me limit was based on Yakima ratings which i just looked back for and can confirm 220/600Lbs, dynamic/static max load.

SoonerDPT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tent is about 120lbs, combined wt of me and the fiancée is about 330. Truckcovers told me limit was based on Yakima ratings which i just looked back for and can confirm 220/600Lbs, dynamic/static max load.
You're still the only person I've seen with this setup. Any complaints/regrets with this setup yet?

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
You're still the only person I've seen with this setup. Any complaints/regrets with this setup yet?
None really, except the initial sticker shock... this thing is expensive!

Keeps my bed absolutely dry during insane downpours/wind storms. It’s rock solid, and opens/closes nicely.

Only thing I wish they would change is the ability to work with the trail rail system. I ended up selling my trail rail parts but feel it would be a bonus if I could still use them with the system.

SoonerDPT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None really, except the initial sticker shock... this thing is expensive!

Keeps my bed absolutely dry during insane downpours/wind storms. It’s rock solid, and opens/closes nicely.

Only thing I wish they would change is the ability to work with the trail rail system. I ended up selling my trail rail parts but feel it would be a bonus if I could still use them with the system.
Thanks so much for the response. Yeah, cost certainly sucks on this, but I guess you get what you pay for. Also seems to be the only one out there that meets all my needs. Want the bars/RTT low profile, not above the cab. Also want to be able to open the cover with everything on there. That's great on keeping the bed dry. Did you have to weather strip the tailgate for that?
Sponsored