Sponsored

Truck Won't Start

AlienGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Hello all, I'm currently stranded in a parking lot waiting for a tow truck to drop my truck at the dealership, but I'm curious if anyone can give some insight or has had this experience. My truck won't start. I had my Taser in and got the codes "p141d", "p0480", and "u0168". I searched what they mean, but not being a person with much knowledge on vehicles in general, I'm curious what that really could mean for my truck. Any ideas or help?
Sponsored

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
Just guessing, but reading those code you might just have a fuse/short issue. All of them are PCM related, one of them specifically due to security. Did you try pushing the Start button with the fob instead of your finger? Best of luck, update us!

OP
OP
AlienGladiator

AlienGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just guessing, but reading those code you might just have a fuse/short issue. All of them are PCM related, one of them specifically due to security. Did you try pushing the Start button with the fob instead of your finger? Best of luck, update us!
Yes, I've had an issue before with it not starting where pressing the fob to the push start fixed it, so that was my first go to! It didn't work though. I just recently added LED headlights to it and hope me getting into the fuse box to do that didn't cause this. 😔 Googling the other codes shows something about a fan not working and something with the exhaust.

awraynor

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Yes, I've had an issue before with it not starting where pressing the fob to the push start fixed it, so that was my first go to! It didn't work though. I just recently added LED headlights to it and hope me getting into the fuse box to do that didn't cause this. 😔 Googling the other codes shows something about a fan not working and something with the exhaust.

Any resolution?

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Likely rest by disconnecting both batteries.

Unhook the negative terminal from the main battery and also the ground lead from the aux battery where it connects to the negative block you removed from the main. I forget off the top of my head which lead on the block is the aux ground, taking them all off won't hurt.

Let it sit 5-10 minutes, reconnect, should be in business.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AlienGladiator

AlienGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any resolution?
Nope. And likely not until after the weekend as the service I had it towed to is closed all weekends. I decided to really not mess with it myself. My truck is still under warranty, so I'm going to let them figure it all out and fix it.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Did you unmarry and disconnect your Tazer before it was towed to the dealership?

OP
OP
AlienGladiator

AlienGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you unmarry and disconnect your Tazer before it was towed to the dealership?
Absolutely, that was the first thing I did. I only had it on there for the proximity locks and LEDs I installed, but better safe than sorry.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
They will re-flash your key, after having ordered a new pair from the factory, but I’ll bet money they replace the PCM and power distribution box first.

OP
OP
AlienGladiator

AlienGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Truck Won't Start 20210608_111729

Here's an update! To add to this, I made it less than a mile from home, hit a red light and stopped, then so did the jeep! So what they did, didn't fix it.

Sponsored

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland
Jeep Gladiator Truck Won't Start 20210608_111729

Here's an update! To add to this, I made it less than a mile from home, hit a red light and stopped, then so did the jeep! So what they did, didn't fix it.
Sounds like they treated the symptom but not the problem. The fuse array must have opened again…. Sounds like maybe a short somewhere?

OP
OP
AlienGladiator

AlienGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like they treated the symptom but not the problem. The fuse array must have opened again…. Sounds like maybe a short somewhere?
Right, so it didn't get fixed, but it ended up killing my battery entirely, whatever was wrong with it. I was stuck at an intersection stop light, because that's where it chose to die, have nobody to help me move it because I have to pull the little string under the shifter to even get the truck into neutral, but if nobody is in the seat, it jumps out of neutral. It's been an adventure that I didn't want to have. The dealership I had it towed to this time mentioned my alternator not even sending anything to the battery to run my hazards anymore. We'll see what they come up with, because my tow was covered to a new dealership and not the original one. 😔

OP
OP
AlienGladiator

AlienGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Truck Won't Start 20210612_005012

In case anyone is still checking on this for updates, basically boiled down to a blown fuse that killed both of my batteries, first dealership missed it or didn't even look, but the second dealership took their time and replaced the fuse bank and both batteries. I can even tell a difference in starting my truck and when using the ESS(ASS 🤭), it's so much smoother now.

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
Congrats on the second dealer finding the real issue and making you right! It's a shame some dealers only want to blow through inspections and miss the real problem. They'd rather put a band aid on a severed limb and call it fixed. Hope this hiccup is completely behind you and you continue to enjoy your Gladiator! Happy motoring.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Jeep Gladiator Truck Won't Start 20210612_005012

In case anyone is still checking on this for updates, basically boiled down to a blown fuse that killed both of my batteries, first dealership missed it or didn't even look, but the second dealership took their time and replaced the fuse bank and both batteries. I can even tell a difference in starting my truck and when using the ESS(ASS 🤭), it's so much smoother now.
Do they give a part number for the fuse bank they replaced? I'm aware of only one fuse bank/fuse array and your's was already replaced by the previous dealer. Inadvertantly blowing the fuse array occasionally happens as I describe here https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/ess-dual-battery-system-operation.44028/post-709139. If the same fuse array was found bad by the second dealer, either the first dealer blew it during install or there's still an ongoing issue.
Sponsored