TSB steering issue fixed!

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I just bought a 21 sport S and the steering does feel like it has too much play in it. Does anyone know if this issue carried over from the 2020’s to the 21’s?
The 21s are all supposed to have the updated steering box. There will still be some play. You can look behind the driver's side front tire (lifting the inner fender a little bit) and if your steering box is black you should be good to go. You can match the part number with the one in the TSB, listed on the first page of the extensive thread about this elsewhere on the forum.
Sponsored

BT911

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator sport S
Occupation
Firefighter
The 21s are all supposed to have the updated steering box. There will still be some play. You can look behind the driver's side front tire (lifting the inner fender a little bit) and if your steering box is black you should be good to go. You can match the part number with the one in the TSB, listed on the first page of the extensive thread about this elsewhere on the forum.
Thanks!

vega789

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' JTR 94 XJ
Ok fellas , just picked up Sting from the dealer. New steering gearbox and computer flash (per steering fix TSB). What a difference.

I don’t know if the aluminum housing was too soft and allowed for movement or if it’s a redesign inside the housing but it made a tremendous difference. It passes the “BMW autobahn sneeze test” where if you’re in your lane clipping at 100kph and sneezed and ya stayed in your lane you were good and passed :like: .

I highly recommend getting it done if you had issues with the “free play” and “wander” You still know it’s different than IFS, but comes darn close to Ram and F150 steering. Old and new pix for comparison.

30D2D93F-30CF-44A1-B5B7-C9FE2C49BB19.jpeg

06798573-6828-4411-B44C-89CBA18BF6E2.jpeg
excuse my ignorance but im seeing two different pictures of different things on the other forum https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-for-improved-steering-feel.33705/post-554825.

is the box the thing that they're supposed to swap or is it what you posted here?

Front Runner

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Insurance
Just had mine done today and the steering feels much nicer. No play.

Sponsored

Whatscooking

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Chorkee. 2004 Wrangler
Occupation
Retired
I just bought a 21 sport S and the steering does feel like it has too much play in it. Does anyone know if this issue carried over from the 2020’s to the 21’s?
My 21 Sport S feels better after i set the tires to 36.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
OP
OP
Moab

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Lucky! Dealer keeps denying me because I have an aftermarket suspension (Mopar kit) and my Synergy steering brace.
The service department tried to say I'm not able to have it done due to lift n tire change. My reply was nope... no lift OEM tires on OEM rims the refer me to parts dept. They didn't have mine on the list "then" found it after (B.S.) shuffling around in hanging folder file on wall. I'll be checking back in to see then probably going to different dealership or branch of same one.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Update got a text from the dealership they want me to pay $196.44 to perform the flash. That's not going to happen.
Interestingly the service department has gone under new management and they contacted me awhile back apologizing over the issue and asked me to bring my truck in to have the steering done. I been so busy I haven't had time but I guess I should before something changes back to the old way.
Sponsored