Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Odd he was told no ETA - mine was a "no question, it will be here tomorrow" thing when they called me. They didn't even hesitate or fudge or hedge. Next day it was in.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So the 2021 models are being built with the latest steering revision, right? An order placed now won't end up needing to go to the dealer for a steering gear replacement, right?

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
So the 2021 models are being built with the latest steering revision, right? An order placed now won't end up needing to go to the dealer for a steering gear replacement, right?
Nope. Mine 2021 with the latest AB box installed from the factory still has an inch freeplay. Until FCA switch to a different supplier, this issue won't go away.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Nope. Mine 2021 with the latest AB box installed from the factory still has an inch freeplay. Until FCA switch to a different supplier, this issue won't go away.
Well that's a real bummer.

My last Gladiator that I ordered May 2019 was rock solid from day 1. I guess I should just hope for the same luck again!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The TSB from January this year still shows the AA - but of course since it's been superseded with the AB, that's what I got, the AB version.
My AA was ok at first, (not stellar, but ok) then through the winter it got bad again, actually worse than the original in a way.
They listed the repair on the paperwork and showed replace steering gear and the words "internal fault" were printed next to it.
An inch on a 2021 after all of this time is - well, I'm sure you are less than pleased........

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Odd he was told no ETA - mine was a "no question, it will be here tomorrow" thing when they called me. They didn't even hesitate or fudge or hedge. Next day it was in.
I think it very much depends where you are and how many your dealership has. They're rate-limiting them it would seem (according to my dealer) so small town dealerships probably have an easier time getting them than larger metro dealers.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
How is the TSB Steering Gear Boxes Are On National Backorder situation?
Have any of you gotten it replaced after the Backorder situation started?
I initially decided to wait but changed my mind and put in TSB order, for my month old order, last week i was told by dealership they still do not have ETA
Don't know of any backorder. They took my JT diagnosed it and replaced the box within 2 days and that included having to order and get the box in.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I think it very much depends where you are and how many your dealership has. They're rate-limiting them it would seem (according to my dealer) so small town dealerships probably have an easier time getting them than larger metro dealers.
Dealerships don't stock these normally so not sure how the "how many your dealership has" applies - we've all talked about them being ordered.
The dealership orders them according to the VIN for warranty - they come from a regional depot.
In my case, the dealership is in the Des Moines metro area, it's owned by the same parent corporation that owns about 3 or 4 others in the central Iowa area.

From some of the BS I've seen some members report their dealers have claimed, frankly, it's hard to believe any of those dealers.
If what you suggest is true, then the dealership places the order through the regional depot and that depot says you get one or you don't get one based on where you are, etc.?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Dealerships don't stock these normally so not sure how the "how many your dealership has" applies - we've all talked about them being ordered.
The dealership orders them according to the VIN for warranty - they come from a regional depot.
In my case, the dealership is in the Des Moines metro area, it's owned by the same parent corporation that owns about 3 or 4 others in the central Iowa area.

From some of the BS I've seen some members report their dealers have claimed, frankly, it's hard to believe any of those dealers.
If what you suggest is true, then the dealership places the order through the regional depot and that depot says you get one or you don't get one based on where you are, etc.?
How many it has in the sense of customers in need. The way it was explained to me is that orders are rate-limited to ensure limited stock isn't all going to major dealers in the cities leaving everyone else hanging. If your dealership hasn't done one recently, it's likely they can get one faster than a dealer like mine with several dozen on the waiting list.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How many it has in the sense of customers in need. The way it was explained to me is that orders are rate-limited to ensure limited stock isn't all going to major dealers in the cities leaving everyone else hanging. If your dealership hasn't done one recently, it's likely they can get one faster than a dealer like mine with several dozen on the waiting list.
Anything is possible - look at those who had trouble last fall and were told 4 weeks - and mine came in days the first time around, in the same week anyway, while others waited for weeks.
It's really crappy either way because people are penalized for living in an area with a lot of JT sales while people living in Iowa where the JT is rare get theirs the next day.
But then how else do they do it? Any way they handle it, it will be "unfair" or "problematic" for someone - maybe someone with a VERY severe issue, almost undrivable, will have to wait weeks while someone with a bit of a wander gets one the same week.
No good way to work it - unless they had enough for everyone and there was no waiting - but how to do that since there's no predicting how many will be seen failing??
Sponsored