Sponsored

TSB steering box review

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I know what you all mean by the dead zone, it's a little soft at first when moving from straight to turn, but I don't find it hampering the drive at all. It's so minimal and has never impacted the actual driving or steering. I'd almost be afraid to mess up what's working just fine. Would need to drive one with it first.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I know what you all mean by the dead zone, it's a little soft at first when moving from straight to turn, but I don't find it hampering the drive at all. It's so minimal and has never impacted the actual driving or steering. I'd almost be afraid to mess up what's working just fine. Would need to drive one with it first.
Exactly how I feel about it. Mines driving so good I'd hate to compromise the drive.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Whoa! This is not about racks vs gears/sectors. Mine does handle about as well as my ifs chevy did.
Except that that's the core issue of why an IFS will almost always handle better so it has to be about the steering system. Generally speaking, a steering box setup can't fit on an IFS because the arms moving independently will damage tie rod and you can't have a rack and pinion on a solid axle because the axle articulation would destroy the rack. This is a fundamental difference between the two.

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I still don't understand the constant reference to "Solid axles" having steering or handling issues. That disappeared years ago.
There's no reason for these to not handle like any truck with IFS and many cars even.
If solid axles were a problem in any way, then the Grand Cherokee would have never survived. It was solid axle for years - and handles fine - NO corrections needed, nor should they be needed.
Mine drives and handles about like my Chevy did. It's actually a bit better than one of my cars.
However - lifts and big heavy tires - that's a different animal. But stock, there's no reason for any need for steering corrections. IF it's necessary on a stock Jeep, then there's a problem.

Once I had the TSB performed, the need for "corrections" on my JT fully disappeared.
Maybe “handing” is a misspeak. My truck “handles” just fine, conventionally speaking. But bump steer is still present, the ride is harsher than an IFS equivalent, and a rack and pinion is still far more precise. I have an IfS Cherokee and it’s a far more pleasant drive on the road.

Theres a reason straight axles are being phased out, even in large BoF SUVs front and rear. That’s not to say I’d ever want a Jeep with IFS.

Make no mistake— the stock steering indeed has issues. The deadzone is unacceptable and the constant pull to the right is annoying. The new box fixed it. For those on the fence, if it was me, I wouldn’t take the chance hoping the aluminum steering box will be “fine” as the years go by. The new one, and the new software is superior. I paid a superior price, I want the better components.

Scottdip

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
Had the box replaced last week ....... still have a dead zone. Approximately 1.5-2” of steering wheel movement Before anything happens. .....FML....
Make sure they just didn't replace the old box with the exact same box....as they did on my Gladiator.

Sponsored

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I’ve had a 2013 JK, a 2017 JKUR, and this new gladiator. I’m well versed in the handling of solid axle vehicles. The gladiator’s steering is horrible from the factory. Mine had a significant deadzone, and constantly pulled to the right.

I dropped my Jt at the dealer with a 3.5” lift, including control arms, and 37s. Originally the TSB says to just replace it upon complaint, but that’s either updated or it didn’t happen. They test drove mine, and also noticed the pull. They inspected the suspension on the rack and did not notice any problems. They confirmed the steering box sucked, and replaced it: box, bolts, software, and fluid. The tech stated the pull was gone.

As soon as I got inside and before I turned on the ignition, I could feel the deadzone was gone. Not rack and pinion gone, but exactly as I remember it from my JK. Driving home was simply amazing. No pull, no deadzone. I still had to make corrections as a solid axle will require, but the pull is definitely gone.

If you haven’t done this yet— do it. If you think “eh I can live with it, it’s not that bad”— do it. It’s a hassle to ever deal with a dealership service department, but man, what an upgrade. The gladiator driving experience was always meant to be this way and I’m extremely happy with the results.

Unrelated pics just to have pics.
I hear ya man, I test drove TWO different JT's that had the worst steering I had ever experienced...literally dangerous. I custom ordered my JT and was sweating the whole time that I would get a crap steering box, but as it turns out mine is perfect. If ANYONE has loose steering with a massive dead spot you should NOT be living with it. It's not normal, it's NOT 'a Jeep thing'.

Trekkor2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
We had a 2018 JKU sport that drove decently unless there were high cross winds or passing/being passed by trucks on the highway. Overall not too bad, even comfortable with one hand on the wheel. Traded for the JT Rubicon and became very nervous with the steering. My wife wouldn’t drive anymore after her first drive. No way I would drive with one had. It was a constant series of corrections on the highway. And passing/being passed by trucks was often frightening. Was about to install the Synergy bracket when I learned of the TSB. Printed it out and took it to the dealer. I used the exact verbiage stated in the TSB for the description of my complaint. They test drove and said it qualified for the change. They ordered the parts and two weeks later they did the update of hardware and software. All I can say is that it is now driving like I would expect. Even with one hand. High wind and trucks will still jostle me, but it isn’t violent like before. Everyday I am much more delighted with the results. I also have the Mopar 2” lift installed. Still running stock 33”s.

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
We had a 2018 JKU sport that drove decently unless there were high cross winds or passing/being passed by trucks on the highway. Overall not too bad, even comfortable with one hand on the wheel. Traded for the JT Rubicon and became very nervous with the steering. My wife wouldn’t drive anymore after her first drive. No way I would drive with one had. It was a constant series of corrections on the highway. And passing/being passed by trucks was often frightening. Was about to install the Synergy bracket when I learned of the TSB. Printed it out and took it to the dealer. I used the exact verbiage stated in the TSB for the description of my complaint. They test drove and said it qualified for the change. They ordered the parts and two weeks later they did the update of hardware and software. All I can say is that it is now driving like I would expect. Even with one hand. High wind and trucks will still jostle me, but it isn’t violent like before. Everyday I am much more delighted with the results. I also have the Mopar 2” lift installed. Still running stock 33”s.

Yeah, that's pretty much my experience as well. It's now "Jeep-like" in the actual sense. Not "Jeep-like, plus severe wandering". Each day I'm happier and happier with the steering situation now.

Gossamer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Service
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had a 2013 JK, a 2017 JKUR, and this new gladiator. I’m well versed in the handling of solid axle vehicles. The gladiator’s steering is horrible from the factory. Mine had a significant deadzone, and constantly pulled to the right.

I dropped my Jt at the dealer with a 3.5” lift, including control arms, and 37s. Originally the TSB says to just replace it upon complaint, but that’s either updated or it didn’t happen. They test drove mine, and also noticed the pull. They inspected the suspension on the rack and did not notice any problems. They confirmed the steering box sucked, and replaced it: box, bolts, software, and fluid. The tech stated the pull was gone.

As soon as I got inside and before I turned on the ignition, I could feel the deadzone was gone. Not rack and pinion gone, but exactly as I remember it from my JK. Driving home was simply amazing. No pull, no deadzone. I still had to make corrections as a solid axle will require, but the pull is definitely gone.

If you haven’t done this yet— do it. If you think “eh I can live with it, it’s not that bad”— do it. It’s a hassle to ever deal with a dealership service department, but man, what an upgrade. The gladiator driving experience was always meant to be this way and I’m extremely happy with the results.

Unrelated pics just to have pics.

E12E7663-9FDA-48F0-BA34-84EAB1348323.jpeg

39D45AF8-7063-4973-BF12-0607FB81F5F5.jpeg

38562A1B-256E-4849-97CA-F542AE811CA0.jpeg
Mine is going in this week to be checked. I have a definite "wander" going on. Hoping to not have an issue with the Service department, but we shall see.

Sponsored

Scottdip

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
Do tell! I want to hear THIS story...
I picked up the truck after the tsb was performed and they replaced the steering gear with the exact same steering gear. I didn’t notice it until a few days later when I peeled back the wheel well. I looked at the gear and it wasn’t the right color nor was it the correct part number. The dealership had no rationale explanation as to why they replaced the steering gear with the same damn one. The proper gear came in today and I’m scheduled for install next Friday.

My advice would be to physically check to make sure they installed the proper steering gear before leaving the parking lot.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I picked up the truck after the tsb was performed and they replaced the steering gear with the exact same steering gear. I didn’t notice it until a few days later when I peeled back the wheel well. I looked at the gear and it wasn’t the right color nor was it the correct part number. The dealership had no rationale explanation as to why they replaced the steering gear with the same damn one. The proper gear came in today and I’m scheduled for install next Friday.

My advice would be to physically check to make sure they installed the proper steering gear before leaving the parking lot.
Not excusing them but I definitely reinstalled a part by accident at one point or another during my wrenching years. I always caught myself and never had one leave that way but I can see how someone would accidentally grab the wrong part if they didn't realize the two are totally different in appearance. You get paid by the job and warranty work is always a huge rush.

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr ,2020 jt gladiator
Mine was mostly wandering, dealer replaced steering box this morning, took an hour drive, highway and secondary roads, felt much better

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Gladiator, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Boeing
Did you take it to Victorville Motors? I ask because I need to get mine in and I’m equal distance to there or Moss Bros.
Sponsored