First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
LE
I apologize if this is long but I dont know what is going on w my Gladiator steering. So, I went to pull out of driveway and turn left-the wheel instantly locked to the left but would turn to the right. The wheels did not turn with the steering, however. I tried to unlock the steering but it just wouldnt move to the left. I shut it off and let it sit for a minute. Went back out and put in reverse. The Jeep started to back to the right but the wheels were straight. Eventually the steering mirrored the wheels. The wheel then moved to the left but made a weird crunching noise. Called Jeep Wave, had it towed to service. I tell them what is going on. They dont believe me. Had it two days, no cause found except I only had 18 foot pounds on left ball joint bolt. It was tightened. Lastnight I decided to take it out on the highway. First 20 miles good. Second 20 miles bad. Any bump or surface change caused the death wobble in the steering. Not terrible, but enough that I noticed something is not right. Wheel jerking all over and just felt completely loose. It should be noted that its a 22 with 7200mi on it. I rarely take her out and im not taking her off road. Ideas? Jeep thinks that I am making it up; Im female and clearly making it up *eye roll*
Sponsored

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
I apologize if this is long but I dont know what is going on w my Gladiator steering. So, I went to pull out of driveway and turn left-the wheel instantly locked to the left but would turn to the right. The wheels did not turn with the steering, however. I tried to unlock the steering but it just wouldnt move to the left. I shut it off and let it sit for a minute. Went back out and put in reverse. The Jeep started to back to the right but the wheels were straight. Eventually the steering mirrored the wheels. The wheel then moved to the left but made a weird crunching noise. Called Jeep Wave, had it towed to service. I tell them what is going on. They dont believe me. Had it two days, no cause found except I only had 18 foot pounds on left ball joint bolt. It was tightened. Lastnight I decided to take it out on the highway. First 20 miles good. Second 20 miles bad. Any bump or surface change caused the death wobble in the steering. Not terrible, but enough that I noticed something is not right. Wheel jerking all over and just felt completely loose. It should be noted that its a 22 with 7200mi on it. I rarely take her out and im not taking her off road. Ideas? Jeep thinks that I am making it up; Im female and clearly making it up *eye roll*
I'm having a hard time following what exactly happened. but assuming the balljoints are now good and tight. maybe a tire balance issue? Or another ball joint is loose. TBH the only recourse because this would fall under warranty. Keep taking it in, odds are the tech will drive it and experience the same issue. If they aren't entertaining your issue at all though. take it to another dealer. Service seems to suck at a lot dealers these days. But i definitely hear ya on the sexism part. My home Jeep dealer service department is the only place i can let my wife, aunt and sister take one of my Jeeps too. Otherwise they get scammed on paying for BS, told they dont know what they're talking about, and just shitty service all together. Its a shame when i have to take my wife's Hyundai to the dealer for her cus of this crap. My own aunt who is 38 and a Naval Combat Aviator vet had to have her 23 your nephew (me) go back with her to a dealer when she bought her gladiator, her Mini , traded in her Wrangler and old mini the same day. Its a long story and i get I'm ranting but this is always a triggering topic when someone is denied basic decency because of what between their legs.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
I apologize if this is long but I dont know what is going on w my Gladiator steering. So, I went to pull out of driveway and turn left-the wheel instantly locked to the left but would turn to the right. The wheels did not turn with the steering, however. I tried to unlock the steering but it just wouldnt move to the left. I shut it off and let it sit for a minute. Went back out and put in reverse. The Jeep started to back to the right but the wheels were straight. Eventually the steering mirrored the wheels. The wheel then moved to the left but made a weird crunching noise.
Just focusing on the first part of your post, was there any chance you had your JT in 4WD? What you described (sort of) is what can happen when in 4WD and on dry pavement.

OP
OP

Avi8tor

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
LE
No, it was not in 4wd

kennyglm

First Name
kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
take it to a private garage and have it checked out .

Sponsored

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
No, it was not in 4wd
Kind of hard to follow your post and understand what the issues are.

Did your steering wheel lock to where it wouldn't turn?

Either way, I would consider it a safety issue and something that could cause a fatal crash if driven. My first contact of the day would be to the General Manager of the dealership and explain to him you are concerned. Do NOT mention legal action or lawyer. Give them a chance to fix it. It's under warranty, they have to fix it.

OP
OP

Avi8tor

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
LE
Sorry for any confusion. The wheel would lock when turning the steering wheel to the left-not the right but the tires would not move at all.
I have taken it back to jeep and explained I now have the death wobble. He told me that this has been a complaint w other owners and they replace all components associated w the steering. So, that’s that. Hopefully problem solved.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Sorry for any confusion. The wheel would lock when turning the steering wheel to the left-not the right but the tires would not move at all.
I have taken it back to jeep and explained I now have the death wobble. He told me that this has been a complaint w other owners and they replace all components associated w the steering. So, that’s that. Hopefully problem solved.
Please post your results after the dealer repairs on made - good information for others in the future. Good luck!

willys 41

First Name
Larry Olund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Machinist / Auto Technician
Are saying you turn the steering wheel put the tires / wheels are not moving. If so then you probably have something going on with steering gear box
Its still not real clear what you are saying

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
So your wheels were not turning with the steering wheel and the dealer could not replicate the problem. Take it to another dealer and let them know to test drive it for a while.
Sponsored