Ugh...the final hours, or is it days?

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
So my LE arrived in town yesterday and was unloaded from the train at 10:24am. Salesman, who has been great throughout the process in terms of keeping me updated when status changes, hasn't been able to provide any info on when/how it will get to the dealership that is 10 miles from the rail yard. Is it the rail company that delivers it? Is it a 3rd party? Does the dealership have one of those semi-vehicle trailer things and they just need one of their dudes to drive it over there? Maybe the general manager rubs a purple rock and they show up the next morning...who knows!

Yeah - its my last minute vent I guess - but it surprises me that a critical component of their daily operation (getting new vehicles from the train) is such a nebulous process. For those that listen to Lewis Black (comedian), you can imagine me doing one of his rants right now...I'd type it out but I'm not sure what the forum moderation is on F words. :)
Sponsored

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Most likely third party service delivers them to the dealership via car hauler.

OP
OP
Pion

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Principal
Most likely third party service delivers them to the dealership via car hauler.
That was my guess - it seems like that process is not describable though. Who contacts the 3rd party - the railroad, FCA, or is it the dealership? How long does it usually take for that 3rd party to respond and get vehicles there? Is today outside of the norm (considering it was offloaded yesterday at the rail yard)? Do they work on weekends or should I just set my expectation for next week some time? I know you don't know those answers but from my perspective the dealership should know them as its literally a process they have to manage on a constant basis. I just expected a "once it is here it generally takes X hours to offload by rail company and Y hours or days for the 3rd party to get it to the dealership but they only deliver on weekdays" etc.. Instead its "who knows how long it will take, can't tell you if it is hours or days!"

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
That was my guess - it seems like that process is not describable though. Who contacts the 3rd party - the railroad, FCA, or is it the dealership? How long does it usually take for that 3rd party to respond and get vehicles there? Is today outside of the norm (considering it was offloaded yesterday at the rail yard)? Do they work on weekends or should I just set my expectation for next week some time? I know you don't know those answers but from my perspective the dealership should know them as its literally a process they have to manage on a constant basis. I just expected a "once it is here it generally takes X hours to offload by rail company and Y hours or days for the 3rd party to get it to the dealership but they only deliver on weekdays" etc.. Instead its "who knows how long it will take, can't tell you if it is hours or days!"
Took about a week for mine to get to the dealer from when it arrived at the final rail yard (less than four hours away).

OP
OP
Pion

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Principal
Took about a week for mine to get to the dealer from when it arrived at the final rail yard (less than four hours away).
Thanks for the data point.

Sponsored

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
Thanks for the data point.
It doesn't mean much but I feel your pain. Railyard was 2 hours south of me. Dealer 1 1/2 north. That was a really longgggggg week!! Who knows, you might get it much sooner! Think they somewhat go by whether they have a full transport load at the railyard going in the same general area. Good news is that customer-ordered vehicles get priority!

OP
OP
Pion

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Principal
It doesn't mean much but I feel your pain. Railyard was 2 hours south of me. Dealer 1 1/2 north. That was a really longgggggg week!! Who knows, you might get it much sooner! Think they somewhat go by whether they have a full transport load at the railyard going in the same general area. Good news is that customer-ordered vehicles get priority!
It's only 10 miles away from me. I wish I could waive my temporary registration at the rail yard and get the keys and drive off. Then I'd get the pleasure of pulling the plastic from the wheels and stuff. Heh.

OP
OP
Pion

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Principal
Ok, my salesman texted me "don't expect it until Monday or later" and then 30 minutes later sends this... Someone gonna die...

IMG_0757.JPG

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Mine is built and waiting final QC, then shipment.

I think an ordered vehicle is best treated like your 401k, ignore it, pretend it doesn't exist, don't worry about day to day changes and know that in the end you will be glad you did all of that.

Sponsored

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
You're nearly at the finish line! It can be SUPER frustrating having to wait so long but you're in a MUCH better position than a lot of other guys here. I mean, it's loaded on a hauler and will be at your dealership within the week. You could still be stuck in D status or dealing with #hailgate...order yourself some slush mats and door sill protectors (2 essentials for a Gladiator!) and you'll have them in time to install when you pull in the driveway in a few days with your new rig :)

OP
OP
Pion

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Principal
You're nearly at the finish line! It can be SUPER frustrating having to wait so long but you're in a MUCH better position than a lot of other guys here. I mean, it's loaded on a hauler and will be at your dealership within the week. You could still be stuck in D status or dealing with #hailgate...order yourself some slush mats and door sill protectors (2 essentials for a Gladiator!) and you'll have them in time to install when you pull in the driveway in a few days with your new rig :)
It's at the dealership now. He said he truly doesn't know the hauling schedule as sometimes its quick, sometimes not. So I actually get it within the next hour or so. It was kind of a head-jerk from "early next week" to 30 minutes later "see you in two hours." Two steps ahead - I bought the sill protectors, slush mats, shorty antenna, and the multi-tool. Although the multi-tool hasn't arrived yet, I'm bringing the rest to the dealership.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst and you’ll never be disappointed. Dealer says next week... accept it, plan for that, or later, and when they call to same “come get it” before then, it’s a pleasant surprise !!

Congrats!! Can hardly wait to order mine!!
Sponsored