Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So I stopped at RaceTrac to get gas the other day, and upon filling the tank, the fuel hose sprung a pinhole leak (the pump, not my Jeep). It started spraying everything with gas. I had just been talking Jeep stuff with the guy on the other side of the pump, and he saw what happened and ran to get someone. My pleas to just go hit the emergency cutoff button (which was far from where I was) were ignored. I couldn't put the nozzle back on the pump cradle, because the way it was spraying out, it would have soaked me and gone directly into my open drivers window. So I set the pump handle on the ground so the spray and resulting puddle would be somewhat contained by the pump and concrete. I had already turned off the pump, and hit the "cancel" and "call attendant" buttons, but they didn't seem to do anything. Gas continued to spray out from the pressure still in the line, and I expected someone to be out ANY SECOND NOW......

ANY SECOND NOW......

Anytime would be good......there's a lot of gas here....don't want to leave this unattended.....hello?.....anyone here?........

AAAAANNNYY MINUTE NOW.....

So this fat girl FINALLY waddles out of the store, with zero urgency, and comes over to the pump, mutters something and picks up the still spraying hose and proceeds to spray it ALL OVER MY JEEP.
I yell "Stop It! Stop spraying my truck with gas!"
She said "Don't worry, I'll clean it up." and CONTINUES TO SPRAY all up an down the side of my Jeep, me, herself, the pump, the ground, etc.
I again exclaimed urgently: "STOP SPRAYING IT ON MY TRUCK!"
Finally, she puts a bag she had brought with her around the hose (should have done that first, genius...) to slow the flow, and starts fiddling around with the pump, making no effort to "clean it up".
So I ask (admittedly, angrily), "Do you have a water hose so I can go wash this off?"
Her response: "Yes, but I'm not telling you where it is, because you were rude to me."
Really? At least I didn't spray your vehicle with gasoline. I consider that a bit worse of an offense.
I asked her to move so I could get to the washer squeegee, and she refused.
So I pushed my way around her to get to the washer squeegee and washed off the fuel. I HOPE this won't do any permanent damage.
Both doors, the back fender, tonneau, and (luckily) just a bit in the interior took the hit. I'm lucky there were no sparks when I started it, or I would be cinders right now (I did use a lot of washer water).
So, I guess I'll let you guys know the final result of "GAS ON PAINT TEST# 1" in a few days....

If it ever happens again, I'm driving off and calling them on the phone!

Things that DID work in my favor: I was wearing gloves, which stopped it from getting on my skin, but I had to throw out a good pair of gloves... And I had JUST waxed it about two weeks prior with some good wax.

So far....knock on wood...everything looks ok. Anybody else have any gas on paint issues?
Jeep Gladiator Unintentional paint test 20211216_062752
Sponsored

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Meh...I've had gas on paint a lot of times...it won't harm anything. Whatever got inside your truck would be the bigger issue to me-- interior gasoline odors usually seem to hang around a long while.

I can't believe that slob/attendant was such a twat... she's lucky you weren't under the influence of something or maybe just another guy with a temper and a zippo and having a really bad day.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I've got gas on my paint Bunches of times never had a issue. I've also got it on my hands plenty of times and never had it do any harm, and had it go in my mouth syphoning gas more than a few times and I'm still alive. I think all will be fine. On the other hand that gas station attendant needs a lesson in how to handle situations properly.

TimC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator , 2021 Wrangler
Occupation
Telecom
It appears station owners are skimping on mandatory safety training for employees. I see it all the time, customers filling milk jugs with gasoline. People not shutting off their vehicles while gassing up. Not calling the fire department for spills greater than a gallon..
This is the ONLY positive going to EV’s.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I repaired the gasoline delivery and computer systems for many years. I have seen the person you speak of at every job site. You cannot fix stupid. I always look for the "E-Stop" button when I drive up. Habit. Your paint should be fine but the plastics may be affected. Wash and rinse.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
whether or not it would hurt the paint isn't the real issue - the real issue is a total safety thing - so many what-ifs there, I'd be all over that company. I'd be contacting the higher-ups, get that idiot's ass fired at the very least and get some free car washes from the outfit that owns that place. What if there had been some source of ignition, something hot and so on.
What I see here are a lot of "no harm, no foul" responses - not the case. Gas all over a truck, harming paint today or not, isn't the issue. (it will harm paint with time - just not "right now" and not an occasional exposure - my other trucks were proof of that)
That one incident alone would be enough for me to never buy there again, and tell management exactly why - and even go further as far as reporting a safety hazard.
No harm, no foul on such things don't play well with me.
That could have been a serious issue with gas in your face, eyes and more.

Your paint will likely survive (not so much the wax job) but the rest is bull shit.

I can just think of my wife or daughter-in-law or my son who has only one eye anyway thanks to a mugging by two asses who were never caught (not that anyone tried) getting sprayed in the face/eyes. Sorry, but this is one of those cases where employees need to lose jobs and management needs to be fined.
Guys - think of your wife/kids having that experience and getting it in the face. Maybe the "no harm/no foul" attitude would change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnFinx

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Guys - think of your wife/kids having that experience and getting it in the face. Maybe the "no harm/no foul" attitude would change.
Oh, don't worry, Racetrac corporate has been notified. Probably a waste of time, but I did it anyway.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
lol....i intentionally use gas and acetone etc to clean stuff off of paint. Hate to hear your situation, but have you ever looked into detail techniques?

OP
OP
JohnFinx

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
lol....i intentionally use gas and acetone etc to clean stuff off of paint. Hate to hear your situation, but have you ever looked into detail techniques?
I used to detail small aircraft, and I used a mix of soap and AVGAS to clean them. It was the only thing that worked that was available to me. (Thanks boss!)
....but I also have had cars where a piece of electrical tape tore off the paint.
I was just wondering where jeep paint fits between these two extremes....

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, and my nephew was a pro detailer for a while, helped me win gold on a car a few years back. No acetone, no gasoline. There's no reason to use such things deliberately when there are superior product made specifically to protect and clean and that are pH balanced for paint.

I have used acetone myself for removal of certain things but only in quantities that allow it to evaporate fast and not linger. And then I wash the area. (contrary to popular belief, acetone does leave things behind - it's why there are warnings "do not use acetone prior to plating" in materials relating to professional plating.

But there's a lot more than just paint to think about, too - there are seals and plastics and rubbers and other parts.

I will look to see if I have pics remaining of my Silverado - and what gas did to the paint around the filler.

Likely a one-off won't hurt the paint, still needs to be washed off good if you know the chemical compositions of the things IN gasoline these days.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
All I heard was corporate is getting me a new Jeep Gladiator 😂. Hell at that point I would have just lit a cigarette and burned the whole place to the ground. Hopefully your Gladiator is ok
Jeep Gladiator Unintentional paint test explosion-boom

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
All I heard was corporate is getting me a new Jeep Gladiator 😂. Hell at that point I would have just lit a cigarette and burned the whole place to the ground. Hopefully your Gladiator is ok
Jeep Gladiator Unintentional paint test explosion-boom
At the least - they owe some gloves, and a thorough detailing inside and out by a shop of my choosing.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
This is the mentality of "not paid enough to care" and "everyone but me is stupid" converged into one attendant. Acting like it's no big deal is a problem that needs to be addressed. I bet she'd start to care if you started hosing her car down with gas.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is the mentality of "not paid enough to care" and "everyone but me is stupid" converged into one attendant. Acting like it's no big deal is a problem that needs to be addressed. I bet she'd start to care if you started hosing her car down with gas.
Doubtful someone like that would care at all.
Gas in the wrong place - on ground, on person, on exterior of vehicle, they are all "get off your fat ass and move FAST and shut off power and get out there" situations.
There's also always the "what if" like we saw a couple of days ago - leaving a gas station, vehicle ahead of us tossed cigarette out the window. You could still see the glow as it hit the pavement.

I've seen gasoline do funky things in my varied careers, watched in amazement as a fire department training session I had set up for employees of a facility I worked in as safety manager demonstrated what fumes can do. I had ideas from having worked on cars most of my life and filled in at a gas station when the regular guy was out sick, but the distances things can travel just on fumes was amazing.
Sponsored