First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
That's the question... So your perfect build shows up on a lot, how long does it last?
Good question ! SOON as I SEE it - online - I call and negotiate . . . if I didn't see it to begin with, did it ever REALLY exist at all (to me) ? ;) Does a tree make a noise in the forest if . . . . ? See what I mean ? ;) . Gotta start somewhere, :idea: I don't have the power to foresee the future (jeep deliveries). So when I feel I am READY to Go For It; I'll be checking ALL my Dealerships (bookmarked ones) on a daily basis -- probably twice a day, morning coffee time then evening (before they close) ! I SEE, I CALL ! That's the plan (for now). I figure some of the dust will settle by September, and I'll of been back from my (fly fishing bucket list) Montana Trip just before the end of August ! Still have my 2 local-yokels ! One of which just became one of the 407 FCA US J.D. Power "best of" Dealers -- and it wasn't the Lithia one ! Odd, since most of the other Lithia dealerships DID make the list . . . oops ! :headbang:

NYR_4_LIFE

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Any NY dealers offering the 7% deal ?

OP
OP
kayakmike

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist

DenverGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ stock, manual, over-sized tires, soft top, half doors
Has anyone had any luck with dealers in Colorado? I emailed 13 dealers as well as one in Wyoming and the best anyone offered was invoice. Several were planning to sell at MSRP. I clarified with each of them it was an order, I would not be not buying stock off the lot, and reminded them I can get 1% below invoice with an FCA affiliate. My plan is 5% below invoice or better, but it's ridiculous to pay anything over FCA affiliate even on the lot.

More general question, I know allotment, etc is based on dealer performance, etc ... but if you are doing a specific order, not buying off the lot, I assume one of the smaller dealerships in the state would still be able to get my order placed the same as a larger dealer?

Sponsored

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I see a man with a plan ! I'm Very much considering going out of my comfort zone as well (150 mile radius of Spokane) ?
Dillon / Petersen are attractive options as well as the Lithia Dealers in Montana & Oregon, only cause I've purchased my G.C. from my local Lithia 2+ years ago. NorthWest in Beaverton, Oregon has some good pricing (comes & goes, along with selection) . What they do, do is have many JL's WITH the Jeep Optional Sport S wheels I prefer in my build . Could get lucky without having to order, IF I decide to not get a JT ! ?
How did you like dealing with Northwest? Second closest dealer to me.

OP
OP
kayakmike

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
I contacted Jamie Schaab @ Ron Tonkin in Milwaukie, OR since they were the only Portland area dealer on the Wrangler deals site (showed 5% under invoice on JL). He didn't have any info on JT pricing, where they would be with the JT relative to invoice, or much help in general. I'm on his list so I expect to hear from him if/when he gets pricing info. Kent @ Peterson has been much more helpful.

I plan to register the JT in OR and Portland would be slightly more convenient than Boise (3 hour drive from our OR house to Portland, 6 hours to Boise). so ultimately comes down to best pricing when I order.

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I contacted Jamie Schaab @ Ron Tonkin in Milwaukie, OR since they were the only Portland area dealer on the Wrangler deals site (showed 5% under invoice on JL). He didn't have any info on JT pricing, where they would be with the JT relative to invoice, or much help in general. I'm on his list so I expect to hear from him if/when he gets pricing info. Kent @ Peterson has been much more helpful.

I plan to register the JT in OR and Portland would be slightly more convenient than Boise (3 hour drive from our OR house to Portland, 6 hours to Boise). so ultimately comes down to best pricing when I order.

Good to know! I was contacted by a different person at Ron Tonkin when I sent out emails to multiple dealers a few months ago, but will keep them in mind now that i know that. I am 7 hrs from Boise and mins from Portland...but if you are registering in Oregon I guess you will save the tax regardless of where you buy

OP
OP
kayakmike

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Good to know! I was contacted by a different person at Ron Tonkin when I sent out emails to multiple dealers a few months ago, but will keep them in mind now that i know that. I am 7 hrs from Boise and mins from Portland...but if you are registering in Oregon I guess you will save the tax regardless of where you buy
Yeah, I grew up in Portland area (Vancouver WA) and my mom is still there, so logistically Portland is easier than Boise. I don't have any skin in the game with Ron Tonkin other than I saw the 5% below invoice on the deals site. Jamie was surprised his name was on a deals web site, so who knows if he will even be competitive when order banks open.

I am registering in OR to avoid most sales/use tax. In 2018, OR added a 0.5% "vehicle privilege" tax to new vehicles so not completely tax free any more, but still better than most states. Buying from an OR dealer they can handle registration at purchase vs. a separate trip to DMV. There is a DMV in Ontario, OR about an hour from Boise.

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I grew up in Portland area (Vancouver WA) and my mom is still there, so logistically Portland is easier than Boise. I don't have any skin in the game with Ron Tonkin other than I saw the 5% below invoice on the deals site. Jamie was surprised his name was on a deals web site, so who knows if he will even be competitive when order banks open.

I am registering in OR to avoid most sales/use tax. In 2018, OR added a 0.5% "vehicle privilege" tax to new vehicles so not completely tax free any more, but still better than most states. Buying from an OR dealer they can handle registration at purchase vs. a separate trip to DMV. There is a DMV in Ontario, OR about an hour from Boise.
Yeah there are a lot of Jeep dealers around here which I would think could help keep the price competitive. I have never bought a vehicle here so I didn't know about that .5% that's too bad. Does it say that Ron Tonkin 5% was with dealer financing etc?

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You're misunderstanding . . . they are on my radar (one of my bookmarked go-to options) - September time frame. I am intimately (sort of) familiar with Oregon's I-5 corridor as well as East slope of Cascades (basecamp - Bend). Lived in Portland for 3 years (early 80's) with a then fiancée .

OP
OP
kayakmike

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Yeah there are a lot of Jeep dealers around here which I would think could help keep the price competitive. I have never bought a vehicle here so I didn't know about that .5% that's too bad. Does it say that Ron Tonkin 5% was with dealer financing etc?
Lot of dealers doesn't mean deals. There's lots of dealers in southern California, with a population greater than WA and OR combined, and most dealers won't deal and may even add a market adjustment fee. The fact that there are few PNW dealers (other than Boise area) on the JL deals page doesn't bode well for JT discounts. Tonkin won't give any info on JT discounts, so I'm not holding my breath, other than someone indicated on the deals site that they had bought a JL at 5% under (unknown if that included affiliate pricing, dealer financing, etc.)

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're misunderstanding . . . they are on my radar (one of my bookmarked go-to options) - September time frame. I am intimately (sort of) familiar with Oregon's I-5 corridor as well as East slope of Cascades (basecamp - Bend). Lived in Portland for 3 years (early 80's) with a then fiancée .
I did in fact misread your post!

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting side note/question -- isn't there a Ron Tonkin in Vancouver ? I lived in Vancouver (2007/8) while having my back operation at OHSU (Portland). Had my '03 Dodge 1500 then . . . and had steering fluid leak down by the joint.
Long story short . . . they replaced it with a new/upgraded part and it was not cheap ! Didn't find out till a year later - when living in Clarkston, WA. that this was actually a recall / replace at no cost to customer maintenance . The Very Nice folks at the Lewiston, ID. dealership informed me of that ! Clarkston & Lewiston are across the River from each other.
Needless to say - if your doing any dealings with Tonkin, have all your Research & Facts with you and never have them do any Unscheduled maintenance before checking with you 1st ! They may try this tactic (as with me) during a simple oil & filter change ! Being this was after me doling out $$$ for the steering, so I learned quickly to be specific in what I want & didn't want ! This should ring true for everyone whenever dealing with your vehicle at any maintenance shop - including buying new tires ! ! ! yes . . . I am MR. Pessimist ! I've lost most of my trust in humanity over the years .
But hey, not ALL ! Tomorrow could be a brighter day ! ;) :clap:

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those not traveling to far away lands to get the 6-ish percent under invoive deals and who are instead starting with affiliate/tread lightly pricing (only 1 percent under invoice) as the maximum price you are willing to pay, how do you plan to get more money off? I assume there will be no additional rebates to stack with this for this new of a car, especially one that is getting ordered.
Sponsored