Vicegrips

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
not gainfully employed. Too old, been there done that.
I learned that I cant afford it right now so Im done looking into it for a bit.

I did see that you want to keep your inverter as close to the battery source as you can. A fella on the youtube has a very good video full of info. He is running a key cutting operation out of his van. Ill post it up if I can find it again.
+1 on keeping inverter close to dc source. After I retired from software, I thought it would be amusing to get a CDL and have someone pay me to tour the eastern half of the US and Canda. It was great. I did need to provide my own 110v in that sleeper. And as a slip seat driver, I needed to pack up all my crap at the end of a road trip for the next driver. I learned it worked best and least expensive if the inverter went right next to the battery box, with the shortest run of costly thick cable to the battery. I ran only an 800 watt inverter. Run a 20' Ace Hardware 110v heavy duty extension cord to wherever one wants power. Higher voltage = less amps for same watts. Smaller cable is cheaper. That's one good reason those big "high tension" transmission lines run at the higher voltages.

I have a set of 30ft, 1 Ga jumper cables. One end is a 3ft piece of 1 Ga terminated with an Anderson Powerpole connector. The other 27ft has a Powerpole connector on one end, clamps for the other battery at the other end. The stub is installed, but currently just secured and covered, until needed for a jump. A 12k winch (Warn evo) is connected here as well, and the factory cables that came with it appear to be of similar size. I could put another powerpole connector on an upsized inverter and feed it from the jumper cable stub. The 110v side will depend on where power is wanted, temp or permanant, if upgrading existing wiring, and the usual collection of both gotchas and yeabuts that go along with every fun project.

I'm lookin to put a hefty inverter, a short dc feed cable with powerpole, a heavy extension cord and heavy duty multi-plug in a bag to bring along. The 400w in the cab will feed the computer and such, but it won't power a pair Mackie Thump 15s. I don't need full power, but certainly enough volume for a party or an annoying, incomprehensible, spittle-flying, red-faced rant at our next happy peaceful protest! :)

Safe travels!
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on keeping inverter close to dc source. After I retired from software, I thought it would be amusing to get a CDL and have someone pay me to tour the eastern half of the US and Canda. It was great. I did need to provide my own 110v in that sleeper. And as a slip seat driver, I needed to pack up all my crap at the end of a road trip for the next driver. I learned it worked best and least expensive if the inverter went right next to the battery box, with the shortest run of costly thick cable to the battery. I ran only an 800 watt inverter. Run a 20' Ace Hardware 110v heavy duty extension cord to wherever one wants power. Higher voltage = less amps for same watts. Smaller cable is cheaper. That's one good reason those big "high tension" transmission lines run at the higher voltages.

I have a set of 30ft, 1 Ga jumper cables. One end is a 3ft piece of 1 Ga terminated with an Anderson Powerpole connector. The other 27ft has a Powerpole connector on one end, clamps for the other battery at the other end. The stub is installed, but currently just secured and covered, until needed for a jump. A 12k winch (Warn evo) is connected here as well, and the factory cables that came with it appear to be of similar size. I could put another powerpole connector on an upsized inverter and feed it from the jumper cable stub. The 110v side will depend on where power is wanted, temp or permanant, if upgrading existing wiring, and the usual collection of both gotchas and yeabuts that go along with every fun project.

I'm lookin to put a hefty inverter, a short dc feed cable with powerpole, a heavy extension cord and heavy duty multi-plug in a bag to bring along. The 400w in the cab will feed the computer and such, but it won't power a pair Mackie Thump 15s. I don't need full power, but certainly enough volume for a party or an annoying, incomprehensible, spittle-flying, red-faced rant at our next happy peaceful protest! :)

Safe travels!
You bring back the old fuss between Edison and Tesla/Westinghouse.
If Edison had his way, there'd be a generating station on every block in NYC because AC is a lot easier to transform and transmit over distances than DC.
So keep it close to the DC source, your AC can be longer than your truck without issue.

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
You bring back the old fuss between Edison and Tesla/Westinghouse.
If Edison had his way, there'd be a generating station on every block in NYC because AC is a lot easier to transform and transmit over distances than DC.
So keep it close to the DC source, your AC can be longer than your truck without issue.
Won't the heat of the engine bay affect the shelf life of the inverter? I would think you would want to be on the other side of the firewall. Or lower in the engine compartment to it did not pick up the convective heat of the engine.
Sponsored