TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I sort of cross posted this from my build thread, which goes much more in depth with my own "command center" setup and personal touches, but I figured someone may find this helpful in a more general sense. I removed as much information as possible that didn't pertain directly to the USB hub installation, but please forgive any oversights. Also, full disclosure, I derped and ordered an AC hub, but I have an identical form factor DC one on the way that will be taking its place. I went ahead with the process though in order to get pictures.

What you'll need (for my method):
-Phillips head screwdriver
-Small flathead screwdriver (jewelry/eyeglasses sized)
-Small drill bit
-Drill or dremel
-Wiring pliers and/or a sharp knife
-Plastic trim tool
-Jeep tool kit (for dropping the windshield)
-USB hub (appropriately sized...no more than about 4 inches long, 2.5 inches wide, and 1.5 inches tall if you want it fully hidden in the cubby)
-12v power adapter/piggyback harness for JL/JT (Amazon/Quadratec carries them)

The low down: My vision was to have a customizable, centralized yet low profile "command center" that would incorporate my phone, an *actual" GPS (with off road maps), and my personal SOS beacon (which also has trail and topo maps). I also wanted a mounting solution for my GoPro to film trail runs. With all of these devices, I didn't want a spaghetti monster of cords, so having a hidden USB hub in the vicinity of the devices was also a must. That is the main reason why I opted to go with the mounts that I did, being that they retain a portion of the recessed top cubby.

I determined that I wanted a very small ingress point for the USB hub, in case I ever wanted to put the insert back in and go back to stock. This small indentation on the left side of the cubby (insert removed) is the point that I personally decided on, but just about anywhere will work for my method. I mean that to say that, as long as you're not using one of the large (deep), round, recessed USB sockets you should be just fine. If you do use one of those, you will need to choose your location more carefully as the radio will likely be competing for the same space.

20200730_153546.jpg

Before drilling, I wanted to make sure things were clear behind the dash, so I started popping panels. This was much easier than I expected. If you are unsure, Google the how-to for the JL for a step-by-step in real time. Honestly though, the guy talked way too much for such a simple operation, so I'll keep it easy for you. The down and dirty is to start with the panel with the AC controls. It is completely held in place by clips. I started with a plastic trim tool nearest to the passenger grab bar, and worked my way across the top to the push start button. Once you have that out of place, you can work on the radio. I have the upgraded radio, but I imagine it is similar for the 7" system. There are two screws at the base of the radio to remove, that will allow you to peel off the radio surround trim, which is also held on by clips.

20200730_161823.jpg

Once those are undone and the trim is removed, you will see four screws at the corners of the radio. Undo these, and the radio will pop loose.

20200729_175609.jpg

Once behind the radio, I was able to see my ingress point. It appeared to be safely away from all obstructions, and was not blocked by the radio when in place. Again, just about anywhere on this cubby should work for simply routing wires, but be sure to do your due diligence if you are using a deep, flush mounted hub.

20200730_153731.jpg

At this point, I decided to remove the freedom panels and drop the windshield in order to give myself more room to work, and so that I could drill straight downward. I used a dremel and a small bit to drill out and gradually widen the hole until the clipped USB hub wires fit snugly through. I used a small cardboard box to catch all of the plastic shavings, then I hit the top side with a shop vac. The result is fairly clean, and would be easily covered by the Mopar insert if taken back to stock.

20200730_154444.jpg
20200730_154456.jpg
20200730_154510.jpg
20200730_162658.jpg

Having completed that, it was time to work on the lower part of the dash and get my piggyback harness up behind the radio. The lower dash (with the window controls) is held in place by a single screw, and numerous clips. Once this screw is undone, gently pry on the upper corners with your fingers and it will pop out of place.

20200730_161653.jpg
20200729_174815.jpg

Once that is out of the way, look directly behind the 12v port and identify the plug. Pinch against the blue clip, and remove the OEM harness.

20200729_174819.jpg
20200729_174829.jpg

With the purchased harness, plug in the appropriate piece to the OEM 12v from where you just removed the stock plug, and plug the stock piece in to the splitter on the purchased harness. In the picture below, the left piece (OEM harness) plugs in to the right piece (splitter on the purchased harness).

20200729_174921.jpg

After that take the free end, and route it up behind the radio, and pull through. It was a bit tight for my ham hands, but not too bad once you find the route. After that, I turned on the ignition and I hit it with my multimeter to make sure everything was good.

20200729_175427.jpg

20200729_175202.jpg

From there, strip the positive and negative wires on the USB hub, insert it in to the corresponding positive/negative opening on the purchased harness, and tighten down the clamps with your mini flathead for a solid connection. Once that is complete, make sure all wires are tucked safely away from pinch points, and you are good to reinstall all of the trim. Don't forget to reinstall all of the screws (again: one for the lower dash piece, four for the radio, two for the radio trim)! All of the screws are identical (assuming that the 7" radio is the same), so don't worry about mixing them up.

That's it! Below are a couple of bonus pictures with all of my mounts and devices installed, wired to the USB hub.

20200730_170339.jpg
20200730_170358.jpg

20200730_170405.jpg
20200730_170417.jpg
20200730_170953.jpg

As you can see, all of the wires are very well hidden, and with the purchased harness they are switched off of the ignition. They wake up and charge when the ignition is turned on, and go back to sleep after 30 seconds when it is turned off.

I hope this helps someone! If you're interested in a more in depth look with all of the mounts and devices, feel free to check out the long version in my build thread here - https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/ares-build-thread.26187/post-539414

Happy modding!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Follow-up:

Here's the finished product with the DC hub in place. It is a 6 port, making it slightly wider than the 4 port that I previously had, so instead of laying it flat inside of the cubby I simply used double sided 3M tape to secure it to the back wall.

Jeep Gladiator Upper Dash Charging Hub 20200807_183350
Jeep Gladiator Upper Dash Charging Hub 20200807_183358

It works flawlessly, and powers my 3 attached accessories off of the ignition without issue. Very easy, and very worthwhile mod for me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That's one of the neatest equipment installs I've seen - powering so many things, securely, safely, neatly. It's all right there, no fumbling or fussing to see or reach anything, still able to watch the trail (or road?) ahead as needed.

Sponsored

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up, I might do partial copy of your USB power port setup. Very Nice and Clean setup.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I happened to be thinking about this project, so just a quick update:

Everything is still working flawlessly. I've had no issues powering my 3 connected devices daily since installing in July. The hub easily keeps up with the draw, keeping my GPS and inReach topped off, as well as my GoPro, even while actively filming. I may be introducing a 4th device in the form of another GoPro facing inward for trail log type videos. If I do go that route, I don't foresee any issues, and I'll still have 2 open ports for future expansion.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I don't see myself doing this, but I always enjoy a good writeup on how someone handles an 'problem' and how they find ways to resolve it. I wish more people were as thorough as you were with this project. Great job

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see myself doing this, but I always enjoy a good writeup on how someone handles an 'problem' and how they find ways to resolve it. I wish more people were as thorough as you were with this project. Great job
Thanks!

There are dozens of ways that someone could attack this, but after a fair bit of thought this is the one that worked the best for my personal needs. If nothing else, I figured documenting it could help someone else out that needed to pop panels or get behind the radio.

Sponsored

Yapascuero

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Scientist
I sort of cross posted this from my build thread, which goes much more in depth with my own "command center" setup and personal touches, but I figured someone may find this helpful in a more general sense. I removed as much information as possible that didn't pertain directly to the USB hub installation, but please forgive any oversights. Also, full disclosure, I derped and ordered an AC hub, but I have an identical form factor DC one on the way that will be taking its place. I went ahead with the process though in order to get pictures.

What you'll need (for my method):
-Phillips head screwdriver
-Small flathead screwdriver (jewelry/eyeglasses sized)
-Small drill bit
-Drill or dremel
-Wiring pliers and/or a sharp knife
-Plastic trim tool
-Jeep tool kit (for dropping the windshield)
-USB hub (appropriately sized...no more than about 4 inches long, 2.5 inches wide, and 1.5 inches tall if you want it fully hidden in the cubby)
-12v power adapter/piggyback harness for JL/JT (Amazon/Quadratec carries them)

The low down: My vision was to have a customizable, centralized yet low profile "command center" that would incorporate my phone, an *actual" GPS (with off road maps), and my personal SOS beacon (which also has trail and topo maps). I also wanted a mounting solution for my GoPro to film trail runs. With all of these devices, I didn't want a spaghetti monster of cords, so having a hidden USB hub in the vicinity of the devices was also a must. That is the main reason why I opted to go with the mounts that I did, being that they retain a portion of the recessed top cubby.

I determined that I wanted a very small ingress point for the USB hub, in case I ever wanted to put the insert back in and go back to stock. This small indentation on the left side of the cubby (insert removed) is the point that I personally decided on, but just about anywhere will work for my method. I mean that to say that, as long as you're not using one of the large (deep), round, recessed USB sockets you should be just fine. If you do use one of those, you will need to choose your location more carefully as the radio will likely be competing for the same space.

20200730_153546.jpg

Before drilling, I wanted to make sure things were clear behind the dash, so I started popping panels. This was much easier than I expected. If you are unsure, Google the how-to for the JL for a step-by-step in real time. Honestly though, the guy talked way too much for such a simple operation, so I'll keep it easy for you. The down and dirty is to start with the panel with the AC controls. It is completely held in place by clips. I started with a plastic trim tool nearest to the passenger grab bar, and worked my way across the top to the push start button. Once you have that out of place, you can work on the radio. I have the upgraded radio, but I imagine it is similar for the 7" system. There are two screws at the base of the radio to remove, that will allow you to peel off the radio surround trim, which is also held on by clips.

20200730_161823.jpg

Once those are undone and the trim is removed, you will see four screws at the corners of the radio. Undo these, and the radio will pop loose.

20200729_175609.jpg

Once behind the radio, I was able to see my ingress point. It appeared to be safely away from all obstructions, and was not blocked by the radio when in place. Again, just about anywhere on this cubby should work for simply routing wires, but be sure to do your due diligence if you are using a deep, flush mounted hub.

20200730_153731.jpg

At this point, I decided to remove the freedom panels and drop the windshield in order to give myself more room to work, and so that I could drill straight downward. I used a dremel and a small bit to drill out and gradually widen the hole until the clipped USB hub wires fit snugly through. I used a small cardboard box to catch all of the plastic shavings, then I hit the top side with a shop vac. The result is fairly clean, and would be easily covered by the Mopar insert if taken back to stock.

20200730_154444.jpg
20200730_154456.jpg
20200730_154510.jpg
20200730_162658.jpg

Having completed that, it was time to work on the lower part of the dash and get my piggyback harness up behind the radio. The lower dash (with the window controls) is held in place by a single screw, and numerous clips. Once this screw is undone, gently pry on the upper corners with your fingers and it will pop out of place.

20200730_161653.jpg
20200729_174815.jpg

Once that is out of the way, look directly behind the 12v port and identify the plug. Pinch against the blue clip, and remove the OEM harness.

20200729_174819.jpg
20200729_174829.jpg

With the purchased harness, plug in the appropriate piece to the OEM 12v from where you just removed the stock plug, and plug the stock piece in to the splitter on the purchased harness. In the picture below, the left piece (OEM harness) plugs in to the right piece (splitter on the purchased harness).

20200729_174921.jpg

After that take the free end, and route it up behind the radio, and pull through. It was a bit tight for my ham hands, but not too bad once you find the route. After that, I turned on the ignition and I hit it with my multimeter to make sure everything was good.

20200729_175427.jpg

20200729_175202.jpg

From there, strip the positive and negative wires on the USB hub, insert it in to the corresponding positive/negative opening on the purchased harness, and tighten down the clamps with your mini flathead for a solid connection. Once that is complete, make sure all wires are tucked safely away from pinch points, and you are good to reinstall all of the trim. Don't forget to reinstall all of the screws (again: one for the lower dash piece, four for the radio, two for the radio trim)! All of the screws are identical (assuming that the 7" radio is the same), so don't worry about mixing them up.

That's it! Below are a couple of bonus pictures with all of my mounts and devices installed, wired to the USB hub.

20200730_170339.jpg
20200730_170358.jpg

20200730_170405.jpg
20200730_170417.jpg
20200730_170953.jpg

As you can see, all of the wires are very well hidden, and with the purchased harness they are switched off of the ignition. They wake up and charge when the ignition is turned on, and go back to sleep after 30 seconds when it is turned off.

I hope this helps someone! If you're interested in a more in depth look with all of the mounts and devices, feel free to check out the long version in my build thread here - https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/ares-build-thread.26187/post-539414

Happy modding!
thanks for the step by step! i ended up with the same behind the dash power split cord and connected this wireless charger to my ram mount: LEXIN Wireless it has an extra USB which i am using to power additional accessories up there. I then ordered the new Motorola wireless Android Auto and it works like a dream! (so far)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the step by step! i ended up with the same behind the dash power split cord and connected this wireless charger to my ram mount: LEXIN Wireless it has an extra USB which i am using to power additional accessories up there. I then ordered the new Motorola wireless Android Auto and it works like a dream! (so far)
Lucky you - that device sold out fast on Amazon. They don't know when more will be available.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I hope it was helpful!

And nice! Sounds like a pretty slick solution!

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Lucky you - that device sold out fast on Amazon. They don't know when more will be available.
I just clicked that link and they're showing as available right now?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just clicked that link and they're showing as available right now?
I should have been specific - the Android Auto wireless.........
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PQ95GY4?ref=vse_pfo_vdp

And it's odd that it's BT because one of the reasons given by uconnect, and Google for Android Auto needing to be wired and not Bluetooth is because BT doesn't have the capability to handle the traffic. Go to Google support where people as asking why not BT instead of wired and that's the Google answer - bluetooth can't handle it.
Hmmmmmm.......... and yet there's a Motorola device for - AA with BT.
Sponsored