Uses for the Aux Switch

chrisblaze

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328d
Other than lights and winches, what else are you using your aux siwtches for?
Sponsored

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
While I have one for my rock lights, I wired up another with just an SAE plug end connected under the hood so I can plug about anything into it as needed.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
ARB compressor, bumper off-road lights and power for comm rack (CB, GMRS and ham radios all located on it). Last one will be used to power off the engine fan during water fords (once I ever get around to doing it). There is another thread on this, BTW, with many more answers.

Sponsored

OP
OP

chrisblaze

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328d
ARB compressor, bumper off-road lights and power for comm rack (CB, GMRS and ham radios all located on it). Last one will be used to power off the engine fan during water fords (once I ever get around to doing it). There is another thread on this, BTW, with many more answers.
Thanks I tried to find it but was unsuccessful...Im a noob with my search skills (as the kids would say).

atw527

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator; 2008 Patriot
The installation guide for my ham radio said to go all the way to the battery. Any issues with using the AUX switch instead?

Right now I have two switches in use - power to the fridge/second battery, and cell booster. Other two will be some sort of external lighting.

1OffCraz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I power my GPS off one of the switches. Makes it easier to control if I want it to stay on while stopped along the trail rather than it turning off with the ignition every time.

DougM55

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
The installation guide for my ham radio said to go all the way to the battery. Any issues with using the AUX switch instead?
I wired my ham radio directly to the battery with a relay. I used a hot with aux wire to trigger the relay so the radio powers on immediately when the vehicle starts. May be a waste of the Gladiator Aux switch since it already has a relay. But I wouldn’t think it would be too bad to wire it directly to the Aux power lead.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Right now I have two switches in use - power to the fridge/second battery, and cell booster. Other two will be some sort of external lighting.
I'm actually not sure why they recommend going direct to the battery. The only thing I can think of is they are concerned that you might wire to something and overload existing wiring. I have a great deal of experience in maintaining and designing complex comm systems and we never worried about going direct to any battery. Not very practical when you have 30 radios on one aircraft, is it?

So, with my Gladiator I have all of the radios together, and wired from one of the 40-amp aux switches. Only one radio is used at a time--limited because there is only one antenna mount for the three radios to share. I manually change the antenna and coax routing when a given trip requires a different comm system.

Jeep Gladiator Uses for the Aux Switch Gladiator, Dec 19, CP_135426, Final Overhead Molle Rack Wirin

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Be wiring up my ARB compressor very soon to one of the switches. Not sure what else I'll use them for yet. I doubt I'll add any lights.

irrelevantgoals

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I'm actually not sure why they recommend going direct to the battery. The only thing I can think of is they are concerned that you might wire to something and overload existing wiring. I have a great deal of experience in maintaining and designing complex comm systems and we never worried about going direct to any battery. Not very practical when you have 30 radios on one aircraft, is it?

So, with my Gladiator I have all of the radios together, and wired from one of the 40-amp aux switches. Only one radio is used at a time--limited because there is only one antenna mount for the three radios to share. I manually change the antenna and coax routing when a given trip requires a different comm system.

Jeep Gladiator Uses for the Aux Switch Gladiator, Dec 19, CP_135426, Final Overhead Molle Rack Wirin
Who makes the overhead Rack your using

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Haven't taken delivery yet but planning on Bumper Floods Lights, Pilar Spot Lights, Compressor, Train Horn. Going to wire the winch direct to the battery with a kill switch. That should be all the electrical accessories I add. I hope.

Shultz01

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ, 2020 JT
Occupation
Sales
Bumper light bar, Windshield light bar, Bed 12v outlet, ARB compressor
Sponsored