First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
Utah owners — how stringently is the “fenders must fully cover the tire” law enforced?
(I’m not living in Utah yet, but might be moving up to StG the foreseeable future)

Just looking at different offset wheels and I like the tire to stick out about 2 inches from the fender. Got me thinking about the laws about such things up there. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Maybe never been west where you say what you mean, mean what you say, do what you promised, live right, etc. Sure, you can drive it. If you get stopped, you might have a fixit ticket. All good. You fix it. Maybe this is the beginning of the new era where falseness is viewed as the personal failure it is. Maybe I just got old and cranky. It's a Pickem

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kent5

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
Maybe never been west where you say what you mean, mean what you say, do what you promised, live right, etc. Sure, you can drive it. If you get stopped, you might have a fixit ticket. All good. You fix it. Maybe this is the beginning of the new era where falseness is viewed as the personal failure it is. Maybe I just got old and cranky. It's a Pickem
Pardon me, I'm not sure if you were implying that I was being 'false'? That I was asking for advice on how to lie, cheat, or steal to 'get away' with breaking the law? I usually try to avoid breaking laws -- thus the reason for my post. In my perfect world, laws that are not enforced would be removed, and laws that remain should be enforced to maintain respect for the Rule of Law. But we don't live in that world. Some old laws only exist because no one has ever taken the time to repeal them, NOT because they are "wrong", and many times, these older laws are ignored by Law Enforcement as antiquated, and thus no longer enforced. In those cases, I have no qualms about also ignoring them.

*In Utah, if a wife commits a crime in the presence of her husband, the husband is blamed. That law is still on the books, just no longer enforced.

*In 1924 the legislature in your own state of Arizona enacted a law which remains in effect prohibiting people from allowing donkeys to sleep in bathtubs. Don't know if they still enforce this one or not... it probably doesn't come up much anymore, but its still illegal.

For extra credit, look up malum prohibitum vs. malum in se.

Hope you have a better day!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
You say you try to avoid breaking laws, but are here asking if you can knowingly do it and get away with it.

Google "utah tire coverage laws" and decide for yourself. Utah is a state where it is common to have sand spread during winter. I would advise against trying to get away with exposed tires there.

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
OP not sure why every Karen decided to gang up on you for this question so let me start by saying this is not the norm here.

I have a few law enforcement friends and we have discussed this topic. The general consensus is if it is blatantly dangerous, looks home made or you get pulled over for something else and you are a d-bag they will ding you for tire width, bumper height etc.

That said I did a quick google search on Off roading Utah and found the attached pictures. Many of these vehicles have tires outside the fender line. My first assumption would be that many of these are local Utah residence - Off Roading in Utah

If you are super concerned it would probably be prudent to call a local 4x4 shop like https://www.jensenbrosoffroad.com and just ask them what they have experienced.

Good luck with your move.

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
OP not sure why every Karen decided to gang up on you for this question so let me start by saying this is not the norm here.
HAHA! I recently read an article that stated calling someone a 'Karen' is now considered racist. You better watch out!

There are more than a few active Karens on this site though!

To the OP, good luck on your move as well!

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator

I have a few law enforcement friends and we have discussed this topic. The general consensus is if it is blatantly dangerous, looks home made or you get pulled over for something else and you are a d-bag they will ding you for tire width, bumper height etc.

That said I did a quick google search on Off roading Utah and found the attached pictures. Many of these vehicles have tires outside the fender line. My first assumption would be that many of these are local Utah residence - Off Roading in Utah

If you are super concerned it would probably be prudent to call a local 4x4 shop like https://www.jensenbrosoffroad.com and just ask them what they have experienced.

Good luck with your move.
This is exactly how it is in Northern California. I see more off road vehicles with tires past the fenders than not. They don’t care unless it dangerous our you’re a Karen when they pull you over.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
To the OP, I say go for it. The older I get, the more ive seen, the less tolerance I have for ridiculous and the hypocritical. Keep your factory take offs (no one will buy them anyways, unless they are off a rubi), and if you get a fix it ticket, throw them on to appease the powers that be.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Pardon me, I'm not sure if you were implying that I was being 'false'? That I was asking for advice on how to lie, cheat, or steal to 'get away' with breaking the law? I usually try to avoid breaking laws -- thus the reason for my post. In my perfect world, laws that are not enforced would be removed, and laws that remain should be enforced to maintain respect for the Rule of Law. But we don't live in that world. Some old laws only exist because no one has ever taken the time to repeal them, NOT because they are "wrong", and many times, these older laws are ignored by Law Enforcement as antiquated, and thus no longer enforced. In those cases, I have no qualms about also ignoring them.

*In Utah, if a wife commits a crime in the presence of her husband, the husband is blamed. That law is still on the books, just no longer enforced.

*In 1924 the legislature in your own state of Arizona enacted a law which remains in effect prohibiting people from allowing donkeys to sleep in bathtubs. Don't know if they still enforce this one or not... it probably doesn't come up much anymore, but its still illegal.

For extra credit, look up malum prohibitum vs. malum in se.

Hope you have a better day!

Awesome reply and thank you. No, I didn't think you were a scofflaw. So we can ignore your strong react to me and just appreciate your expository on the absurdity of bad laws. Good points. I thought you were doing due diligence. However, since the thread became hilarious, I chimed in likewise with my add that this world has become more comfortable with liars than I am. So I wondered if that's just my becoming old. :LOL::CWL::LOL::CWL::like::rock::rock::clap::clap:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
You say you try to avoid breaking laws, but are here asking if you can knowingly do it and get away with it.

Google "utah tire coverage laws" and decide for yourself. Utah is a state where it is common to have sand spread during winter. I would advise against trying to get away with exposed tires there.
I was thinking the exact same thing about chipping someone's windscreen. It's about the other guy's vehicle you damage in a small town where lots of folks known each other. Dunno. Several of us have the same answer in different ways, but somehow we are Karen's and no thank you to boot. That's kinda funny if it weren't sad. Beautiful town, st george, and miles of fun to have. Hope he likes it!

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
So many Karen's

I read the first post as such.

Hello everyone, I am moving somewhere, where I do not know the laws and how they are enforced. I normally like about 2" of tire poke, but if that is going to get me in trouble, I will make sure my tires are completely covered.

Anyone who read it otherwise, has a short blond haircut and asks to see the manager too much.
Sponsored