First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Another issue with them is when you get tires repaired or replaced. I had nice caps on my last two trucks so I would just remove them before I went to the shop. I don't like the larger caps. the weight can bend the stems down at speeds and cause a slow leak.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I just got the longer plastic ones from AutoZone, like $8 I think for them. Got tired of people stealing the green cap ones off mine, not sure what that's about. Plus no nitrogen in my tires now that I know of.

NotSo Bright White

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR DIESEL
Occupation
Retire Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
Mine came with a prophylactic for protection!
Jeep Gladiator Valve stem caps OMG! FC17DF5D-6F2C-4937-850F-10445E0EDBA4

Sponsored

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
black plastic for me

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Put the green caps on. It lets everybody know you are a baller running that expensive dealership nitrogen.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
More useless information on valve stem caps.
Aircraft tires use nitrogen, they use nitrogen because it is more stable with temperature fluctuations. When I serviced a tire I would have to take the ambient temperature and barometric pressure then look at a chart to adjust to the correct pressure. Of course this was all documented and inspected. They used o ringed brass caps.
A friend of mine was a club racer (motorcycle) and for safety he had to have metal caps with o rings. The speeds that were achieved could depress the valve by centrifugal force and release some of the air, so o ringed metal caps were required.
My Jeep has plastic caps and I really never gave it much thought, they keep crud out so good enough enough for me.
Your trivia for the day.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Aircraft tires use nitrogen, they use nitrogen because it is more stable with temperature fluctuations. When I serviced a tire I would have to take the ambient temperature and barometric pressure then look at a chart to adjust to the correct pressure. Of course this was all documented and inspected. They used o ringed brass caps.
A friend of mine was a club racer (motorcycle) and for safety he had to have metal caps with o rings. The speeds that were achieved could depress the valve by centrifugal force and release some of the air, so o ringed metal caps were required.
My Jeep has plastic caps and I really never gave it much thought, they keep crud out so good enough enough for me.
Your trivia for the day.
Thanks! I am now ready for Jeopardy. I'll whip Ken's butt as long as they ask about valve stems.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Your trivia for the day.
A buddy in the USAF said they had some sort of stick they put against the tires or maybe it was the bearing area after landing. If it melted - too hot. Sound familiar or am I recalling that wrong? (worked with him in the 70s so that's a long time to remember details)

Sponsored

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
Probably not a Jeep Gladiator risk, but I have ruined tires using decorative caps. Once on a car, once a motorcycle. At sustained high speed the (centrifugal?) force of a heavier cap tears the stem off of the tire.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
At sustained high speed the (centrifugal?) force of a heavier cap tears the stem off of the tire.
Wow, 10 demerits for using 'sustained high speed' in the same post as 'Gladiator'.
It's sort of like "Senate Intelligence"

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought a bunch of bike tubes from Slime for my kids bikes. They came with neon green caps. I've got those on the Jeep now because it's easy to find them if I drop them or put them down somewhere and don't pay attention to where I put them. Ha.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, what's considered sustained high speed these days? I've driven at least as fast as those guys spend my money.
You've gone warp 9??
Sponsored