Sponsored

Very curious about the typical forum member - why all the modifications?

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Actually the original poster is going down the same path as the rest of us, most newbies start out with
"I'm not doing anything to my Gladiator BUT....."
Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Gotta be a bot trying to figure out the Jeep pathos.

Hey Bot, your software can't understand the concept cause it's called good old american ingenuity.
Good point. I'll cover all bases.

"Hey BOT, 1001 1000000001 111100000 1000001111 0000111111 1000111."

(I either told him to eff off or that his underwear is dirty. My binary is a bit rusty.)

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Good point. I'll cover all bases.

"Hey BOT, 1001 1000000001 111100000 1000001111 0000111111 1000111."

(I either told him to eff off or that his underwear is dirty. My binary is a bit rusty.)
This may be a case where I have to apologize. But this smells like raw intel gathering to me. Given the world in these times, impossible to know unless you ask. So, we shall see!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This may be a case where I have to apologize. But this smells like raw intel gathering to me. Given the world in these times, impossible to know unless you ask. So, we shall see!
His great grandfather's name was Henry. Family name Ford.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
His great grandfather's name was Henry. Family name Ford.
Those fijord fellers are closing up manufacturing in Sur de America. Maybe they expect to establish themselfes in oklahoma.

Sponsored

Psycho Squirrel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 White Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, '14 Black Grand Cherokee Limited, '63 Blue Corvair Monza,
As a lifelong lover of LEGO, Tinker Toys and Erector Sets, the Jeep was just a natural progression. When I bought my first Wrangler my wife said to me and her friends ā€œ my husband just bought a LEGO vehicle ā€œ She was right! Buy, build and enjoy! Let no one crap on you for what makes you happy!!

Marshjo

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Iā€™m from the south. We tend to modify everything. I use mine for our camp which floods every other year, so mud and gravel roads. Lift and mud tires make life easier. It also looks good. A stock gladiator, to me, is one of the ugliest vehicles on the road. My salesman was taken back when I told him that it was the ugliest vehicle I have ever bought. Haha

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Say what? Only 5% of the roads in the state are paved? Wow. I mean, I could understand that only 5% of driveway type roads are paved but actual government roads? ...
Okie here too, and I'm confused by the statement that "the state's roads are 95% unpaved." Certainly not the case here in the metro, and while I do daily mine, it's definitely built for the unpaved. ...
I'm not sure how accurate that five percent paved number is, but Oklahoma does have a lot of unpaved roads. This is because much of the state is farm land that has been gridded every mile to allow access to fields by farm vehicles. But which are still considered roads. Much of the TransAmerica Trail consists of driving/riding along that, which is why Oklahoma is pretty much rated the most boring state to cross on that otherwise amazing route. In order to avoid just driving straight across the state, Sam Correll (TAT creator), chose some more interesting routes in the eastern part of the state, where it's somewhat hilly. Note that the TAT stays mostly north (literally along the KS/OK border for part of it) and doesn't go down south where the Wichita Mountains keep things interesting. To make up for the seemingly boring nature of the TAT across the state, when I drove it a couple months ago, we took side trips to places of interest to break the monotony--Little Sahara, Great Salt Plains, Wakita (you can see Dorothy!), Osage Hills State Park, Natural Falls State Park, etc. Anyway, if you live in Oklahoma, I highly recommend driving both the TAT and the Oklahoma Adventure Trail (OAT), and include some miles off the designated routes. I bet that you'll gain a new appreciation about what Oklahoma has to offer.

TAT info (buy the route maps/files at that website) ...

https://www.transamtrail.com/

OAT Info (free download of the route file at that site) ...

https://advrider.com/f/threads/making-of-the-oklahoma-adventure-trail.836706/

The OAT is especially dated. Definitely carry a copy of the state Gazetteer (or other similarly detailed road atlas). You'll be rerouting due to bridges washed out, impassable roads, etc. It's all part of the fun!

Here's what the routes look like. Note that we also ran the TAT (about 85% due to fires, rock falls, etc) all the way from the Port Orford, Oregon a couple years earlier, but I didn't include that on this image ...

Jeep Gladiator Very curious about the typical forum member - why all the modifications? Oklahoma Overland Adventures

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Iā€™m from the south. We tend to modify everything. I use mine for our camp which floods every other year, so mud and gravel roads. Lift and mud tires make life easier. It also looks good. A stock gladiator, to me, is one of the ugliest vehicles on the road. My salesman was taken back when I told him that it was the ugliest vehicle I have ever bought. Haha
Lol My wife and I were the same way. We saw nothing except potential when we bought it haha

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
Lol My wife and I were the same way. We saw nothing except potential when we bought it haha
totally agree I had a vision before purchase, just like my last ride 14 yrs ago. budget was a little tighter back then. since I tend to keep them a while I slurged and bought what I wanted!
Now the accessories I could not afford back then!
And this gentlemen is why 67-69 camero's sell for 100k.. because now we can

Sponsored

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
totally agree I had a vision before purchase, just like my last ride 14 yrs ago. budget was a little tighter back then. since I tend to keep them a while I slurged and bought what I wanted!
Now the accessories I could not afford back then!
And this gentlemen is why 67-69 camero's sell for 100k.. because now we can
^ this

Iā€™m a few years younger but exactly!!!

My first car/truck was an 1989 s10, 2.5 manual. Loved that truck, it did everything I needed, worked through college in construction, used it to move every other semester.... I put bigger rims and tires on it then too, coopers to be exact. Fast forward 20 years, similar brick like shape, similar utility and just like tinkering with it / them (jt and jku)

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Just buy the Max Tow... then you wonā€™t need any modifications. This is Jeepā€™s stealth Gladiator weapon. šŸ˜

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
What's a "road?" I'm a few hundred yards from open desert, criss-crossed with plenty of trails and "roads." At first the 5% thing gave me a WTF moment, then I realized that an aerial view of my house shows a paved road in and then hundreds of miles of dirt and rocks.

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Just my opinion, itā€™s like anything else thatā€™s a hobby or something that you want to make your own. Similar to remodeling a house, the hot rod crowd, restorations ect. Itā€™s a love of man and machine. We can create something unique, fast, purposeful beautiful ect or any combination there of.

For me, Iā€™m a gear head love to tinker. I also love the outdoors and itā€™s a great feeling changing something to meet and overcome challenges with my mechanical skill and driving abilities. Plus it ties up money that would probably be used for less productive or safe vices.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't mean to make everyone defensive. I thought the question was clear: why all the modifications? We use them in their stock form, use them every day, feel no need to express ourselves through them. They are simply an every day, common tool here. I assumed there was something different about our surroundings that caused that.

I asked all the off road shops within 100 miles, then I came here. It was just a question; I am sincerely sorry I asked.
That may have been true in the 50's but personalation is common in today's car/truck groups.
Sponsored