Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Do they have to tell people that getting in an accident isn't covered by the factory warranty? Of course not. So why do they have to tell you that you causing damage off-roading is also not covered? Pretty simple concept.
Do they show people crashing their cars in advertising? Of course not.

Monkey see, monkey do. If you show people something in official advertising, they assume it's OK. Pretty simple concept.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
And yet in the end we don't have 100% of the facts, EXACTLY what happened, EXACTLY what parts truly failed and why.
Smart alternators maybe different - but I've mentioned before here in multiple places how I've had alternators through puddles with water literally washing through them - they stop charging for the time they are in water and quickly start charging again.

Some of these have been through hell and yet with few exceptions, they'd still operate if I put them on my test bench (exceptions being bad bearings, or brushes totally worn out)
I've had to wash caked mud and dirt out of a few over the years I've worked on 'em. (there's roughly 110-120 up there)

We just don't have the whole story even today - what exactly was found and the exact details of any repairs. I remain skeptical until or unless I see exactly what was replaced and why and how it was diagnosed.

Jeep Gladiator VOIDED Factory Warranty after taking it through mud 20210107_102109

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Advertising is part of what got tobacco companies in trouble and hiding the effects.

I smoke, I get to be a cowboy and get all the hot chicks.

I drive a Jeep I get to blast through mud, look cool, go anywhere, and get all the hot chicks.

Seems pretty similarā€¦

Sponsored

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Is there like a TLDR version for the end result? Lol

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Advertising is part of what got tobacco companies in trouble and hiding the effects.

I smoke, I get to be a cowboy and get all the hot chicks.

I drive a Jeep I get to blast through mud, look cool, go anywhere, and get all the hot chicks.

Seems pretty similarā€¦
How'd the chicks part work out? Just wondering................

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Just came across this and got to say that just sucks. Iā€™m sorry. Itā€™s crazy to think that they said the mud did all that. My buddy just buried his jk rubicon a couple months ago in the mud. I mean sunk. It was up to the last couple inches of his tires. Heā€™s running 37ā€™s I believe and it sat in that wet mud for about three hours. It was a lake bed that was exposed after the lake had receded but is still saturated. I tried getting him out with my GC, a guy in a f350 tried, got stuck, got pulled out by a gmc, another wrangler tried, eventually we tried in tandem, and finally a ram 6.4 and the wrangler got him free. He ended up replacing some parts with the diff a week later and thatā€™s it. Seems like to me the op had issues other than what the mud or water may have done.
Unrelated to the topic but was this by chance filmed by the Wrangler guy? I recently saw a YouTube video of a Ram and JK pulling a JT out from some mud. The Ram was the anchor and the JK had the recovery equipmentā€¦

Anyways, sorry you had to go through that OP. Iā€™m in agreement. Fuck that dealer and the people that voided your warranty.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Is there like a TLDR version for the end result? Lol
She got her jeep fixed because jeep looked really bad after the media found this thread and ran with it. This was at the time the new bronco was launching, so the negative publicity was a big deal. There's been other threads on here where certain DEALERS have tried to void warranties for driving a jeep like a jeep, but in the end, after some fighting, it seems like most of them work out.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
They advertise the capability. There's a heavy implication that you can drive through mud and water and the jeep is meant to take it.

I don't expect an alternator to take a lot of water on and it not fail, but jeep does advertise it that way.
It is meant to take it. That doesn't mean that nothing bad will ever happen if you do it and there's always a non-zero chance you break something.

Tsblue83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Grand Cherokee, ā€˜51cj3a
Occupation
Sales
Unrelated to the topic but was this by chance filmed by the Wrangler guy? I recently saw a YouTube video of a Ram and JK pulling a JT out from some mud. The Ram was the anchor and the JK had the recovery equipmentā€¦

Anyways, sorry you had to go through that OP. Iā€™m in agreement. Fuck that dealer and the people that voided your warranty.
Iā€™m honestly not sure if they did or if someone else nearby filmed it. If they did Iā€™d love to see it. My friends Jeep is that nacho color with a bunch of Viking runes on the hood. The one that got him out was dark blue and the ram was black I think.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Iā€™m honestly not sure if they did or if someone else nearby filmed it. If they did Iā€™d love to see it. My friends Jeep is that nacho color with a bunch of Viking runes on the hood. The one that got him out was dark blue and the ram was black I think.
Ah never mind then. This JT was white and stock actually Iā€™m noticing. It was also a F-250/350 as the successful anchor haha. Video below for shits and giggles though.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Ah never mind then. This JT was white and stock actually Iā€™m noticing. It was also a F-250/350 as the successful anchor haha. Video below for shits and giggles though.

Dang if you intentionally drove you jeep into that muck I'm not sure I have any sympathy for them. At least not when you could go around it or at least not try to check see what was actually under that water.

Tsblue83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Grand Cherokee, ā€˜51cj3a
Occupation
Sales
Dang if you intentionally drove you jeep into that muck I'm not sure I have any sympathy for them. At least not when you could go around it or at least not try to check see what was actually under that water.
Oh nope my buddy has a jk. He was fooled by tracks in the mud. It was up at Taylor park in Colorado. The water had receded quite a bit at the lake/reservoir and looked to have done so a while ago. There were some tracks out in the mud, not deep, so he figured he could drive there too. It turned out the tracks he saw were from some bikes or atvs or something. So they werenā€™t heavy enough to sink but as soon as he got out there he was stuck. Iā€™ll have to have my wife send me a picture of it and post it later. He was buried.
Sponsored