First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Anyone try it? Imagine you bought a generic windshield washer nozzle and about 20ft of tubbing and assorted connectors. Drill a hole in your tailgate below the rear view camera, connect the tubing and run it to one of the front windshield washer tubes coming from the fluid reservoir. Everytime you pull the stalk to wash your windshield you'd also be spraying your rear view camera.

I live in the salt belt and in winter having a washer on the rear camera would mean a usable camera for the other 6 months of the year...

Has anyone tried it? Would I screw up the pressure to the front two windshield washers? Don't think I'd want it connected to the tubing for the front camera since I can only trigger that with the screen... I like the simplicity of the stalk...

Any educated guesses would be welcome.
Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a great question. I’m not in a salt state but down here in FL with all the rain you do get stuff kicking up when it’s wet. I have considered this myself. I know my Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit being built has a rear nozzle washer for the rear camera… might be worth looking at parts on that and see if anything is interchangeable. Much of jeep stuff is.

AmosMoses01

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Technology
I've read elsewhere people doing this on other vehicles (F-150's), so the concept is definitely achievable. You nailed the increased challenge on the JT though, which will be mounting the nozzle close enough to the camera, plus having working space to do so.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Or.

You could just wipe it off every time you get gas? ;)
I usually do this, but it’s made me wonder how resilient the camera is. How many times can i wipe muck off it before it scratches

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Only effective if roads are dry when you pull out of the gas station... otherwise it just gets dirty before you need it clean to back up.
Not a lot of room on the camera housing to put a nozzle and drilling into the tailgate seems excessive just to add a nozzle. If the pressure was sufficient perhaps a nozzle that has a straight threaded post such as this Dorman
Windshield Washer for Honda CR-V 2008-07
- https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-86916-47273.aspx?origin=keyword - could be attached through a license plate bolt hole. But still. May not clear the tailgate to hit the camera lens. The head on this nozzle is about 3/4” but the threaded post may not be long enough to fit through the bumper.

Bucephalus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies
Just wax it

OP
OP
syreeves

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Or.

Already do that. In the right weather conditions the camera is dirty within a mile...

OP
OP
syreeves

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Only effective if roads are dry when you pull out of the gas station... otherwise it just gets dirty before you need it clean to back up.
Not a lot of room on the camera housing to put a nozzle and drilling into the tailgate seems excessive just to add a nozzle. If the pressure was sufficient perhaps a nozzle that has a straight threaded post such as this Dorman
Windshield Washer for Honda CR-V 2008-07
- https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-86916-47273.aspx?origin=keyword - could be attached through a license plate bolt hole. But still. May not clear the tailgate to hit the camera lens. The head on this nozzle is about 3/4” but the threaded post may not be long enough to fit through the bumper.
Thanks - you suggest something I hadn't thought of. Need to think a bit but it is an interesting idea...
Sponsored