hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow Pkg
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
I loved Guanajuato City when I visited Mexico. The people were amazingly friendly, I felt incredibly safe and loved the food. Just the scenery in that part of Mexico is amazing. The only thing that I had to get used to was getting woken up at the crack of dawn. The roosters would start and the dogs would start barking.

If anyone is looking to vacation in Mexico, skip the resorts and visit smaller towns. Guanajuato and San Miguel did not disappoint.
We are in Puebla now which is an incredible city. But we still talk about Guanajuato. We've even thought of buying a home there after we're done with our global trip. ~ E
Sponsored

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
We are in Puebla now which is an incredible city. But we still talk about Guanajuato. We've even thought of buying a home there after we're done with our global trip. ~ E
LOL, I looked up places to buy when I returned home as well.

Anyway, keep up the posts! While I can't travel right now, your posts are helping!

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Laundry at camp. It's a thing when you are overlanding for more than a weekend or week at a time. Sure you can find a laundromat and honestly there are many decent solutions out there.

To be honest we don't carry many clothes. Each one of us has a backpack that ALL of our clothes for this global overland trip fit in. So we run out of clothes fairly quickly especially since we spend most of our life outdoors.

We're hard on our things and our community of folks who follow us on social know this. So we're often asked the question about how we take care of the "little things" like laundry.

This is our answer to that question:

Hope this is helpful to anyone considering extended travel and as always we are available as a resource to answer any questions. ~ Eric

Mojave MĹŤbe

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Just finished reading through this entire thread. To start, I'm incredibly excited for you. Incredibly jealous of you. And incredibly scared for you. Lol. So far, my biggest question is... 10-15 years? YEARS? Why so long? That just seems incredibly... unrealistic? Hard to wrap my mind around that. I wish you and your family well. Safe journey, and God speed.

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Just finished reading through this entire thread. To start, I'm incredibly excited for you. Incredibly jealous of you. And incredibly scared for you. Lol. So far, my biggest question is... 10-15 years? YEARS? Why so long? That just seems incredibly... unrealistic? Hard to wrap my mind around that. I wish you and your family well. Safe journey, and God speed.
Hey Brian, thanks for catching up on the thread and taking the time to share your thoughts.

So we've been traveling full-time for 8 years in North America. If you can imagine 8 years of vehicle travel solely in the USA, Mexico, and Canada that's a lot of miles covered and things discovered right? But relatively speaking the USA is small compared to South America, Africa, and Asia.

So when you really start to think about it, If you just count the five continents of South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia, and give them each just 2 years, you are already at the 10 year mark. Even with two years "average" per continent, we'll barely scratch the surface. So even though it is an estimated time frame, we don't believe that it is too far off the mark if we're being real about this journey.

Hope that makes sense and feel free to hit me with any follow up questions. Appreciate the encouragement. ~ Eric

Sponsored

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator We are driving around the world in our Jeep Gladiator we call DAUNTLESS Highland-Family-Mexico-Bernal

Jeep Gladiator We are driving around the world in our Jeep Gladiator we call DAUNTLESS Highland-Family-Mexico-Bernal

We’re looking back on the first three months of our global overland journey as we’ve traveled through interior Mexico.

We’d like to know if you have any questions for us?

We’ll pick a few to answer in our video this week. If we pick your question we will mention you by name.

Thanks!

~ Eric + Brittany + Caspian | Hourless Life

Mojave MĹŤbe

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Hey Brian, thanks for catching up on the thread and taking the time to share your thoughts.

So we've been traveling full-time for 8 years in North America. If you can imagine 8 years of vehicle travel solely in the USA, Mexico, and Canada that's a lot of miles covered and things discovered right? But relatively speaking the USA is small compared to South America, Africa, and Asia.

So when you really start to think about it, If you just count the five continents of South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia, and give them each just 2 years, you are already at the 10 year mark. Even with two years "average" per continent, we'll barely scratch the surface. So even though it is an estimated time frame, we don't believe that it is too far off the mark if we're being real about this journey.

Hope that makes sense and feel free to hit me with any follow up questions. Appreciate the encouragement. ~ Eric
I've watched quite a few of your videos so far. Really enjoying those.

I guess what's hard for me to wrap my mind around is that, this isn't some sort of extended vacation. The IS your life. You don't exactly have a home you're trying to come back to, so to speak. When you think about "a journey," 10-15 years isn't "the norm." Lol.

I do have several questions that I've come up with, reading this thread and watching your videos. You may have already answered them in an as yet to be watched (by me) video, or earlier in this thread and I missed it. But...

1. How much do you think your rig is worth? Sponsorships aside.

2. How many months do you plan on spending in each country? Is this fluid, or pre-planned?

3. What's it going to cost to ship Dauntless from South America to Africa?

4. Safety. Protection. Self defense. What is your plan for unwanted attention and encounters to protect yourself and family? What provisions have you brought along with you? I take it firearms are out of the questions in many of these countries. I certainly understand not wanting to answer this question in a public forum. Feel free to DM me if you are so inclined to answer.

5. This one is Caspian centered. I moved around a lot as a kid. Never quite anywhere long enough to establish any real, long-lasting friendships. My brother, on the otherhand, grew up mostly in the same town/location. As such he has a very large corp of friends he's had for many years, since grade school. Do you feel Caspian will suffer much from this seemingly never ending on the move lifestyle? (Not judging at all. Just something that I thought about.) I'm sure one could argue the experience is worth the tradeoff.

Lastly, I live in the Austin area, and thought it was pretty interesting that much of your journey started here. I've been in AJP since 2015. Wondering if we've crossed paths before.🤔

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
I've watched quite a few of your videos so far. Really enjoying those.

I guess what's hard for me to wrap my mind around is that, this isn't some sort of extended vacation. The IS your life. You don't exactly have a home you're trying to come back to, so to speak. When you think about "a journey," 10-15 years isn't "the norm." Lol.

I do have several questions that I've come up with, reading this thread and watching your videos. You may have already answered them in an as yet to be watched (by me) video, or earlier in this thread and I missed it. But...

1. How much do you think your rig is worth? Sponsorships aside.

2. How many months do you plan on spending in each country? Is this fluid, or pre-planned?

3. What's it going to cost to ship Dauntless from South America to Africa?

4. Safety. Protection. Self defense. What is your plan for unwanted attention and encounters to protect yourself and family? What provisions have you brought along with you? I take it firearms are out of the questions in many of these countries. I certainly understand not wanting to answer this question in a public forum. Feel free to DM me if you are so inclined to answer.

5. This one is Caspian centered. I moved around a lot as a kid. Never quite anywhere long enough to establish any real, long-lasting friendships. My brother, on the otherhand, grew up mostly in the same town/location. As such he has a very large corp of friends he's had for many years, since grade school. Do you feel Caspian will suffer much from this seemingly never ending on the move lifestyle? (Not judging at all. Just something that I thought about.) I'm sure one could argue the experience is worth the tradeoff.

Lastly, I live in the Austin area, and thought it was pretty interesting that much of your journey started here. I've been in AJP since 2015. Wondering if we've crossed paths before.🤔
Hi Brian, wow small world. I joined AJP around 2016 as was very active in events whenever we were in the area. So it is quite possible we've crossed paths. Our Jeep Wrangler that most folks at AJP know us from was called GUARDIAN. Ring a bell?

Ok, now onto your questions.

1. We haven't tabulated it all yet. But we estimate that DAUNTLESS is probably valued retail with labor costs included around $125-135K obviously a very rough estimate, but that gives you a ballpark.

2. It is both fluid and pre-planned. Everything is dependent upon visa lengths that each government allows us to stay in each country. For example Mexico allows 180 days or 6 months. We knew this coming in so it was pre-planned to spend all 6 months in this beautiful country. However Belize allows 90 days and we don't think we'll be there the full 3 months. Probably closer to a month we're guessing but we don't know. It is a very small country.

3. A ballpark cost to ship DAUNTLESS across an ocean is $5000-$7000 USD.

4. I do my best to protect my family and our equipment. We have a "code word" that even my 5 year old son knows. If I mention that word then everyone knows what they are supposed to do. My wife grabs the SATCOM and exits the vehicle and comes around either the front or the rear of the vehicle to our son's door. My son drops whatever he's playing with or holding, unbuckles himself and prepares for me to get him out of the vehicle. I grab the keyfob and exit the vehicle and get my son out via his door. Obviously there are circumstances that would have to happen in order for us to execute this action. But it is discussed regularly and drilled as well. (Must be the military guy in me.) We also do have our vehicle tracked via GPS, satellite, and our Viper alarm system. I can tell you from my phone, and watch where my vehicle is, what direction it is heading and what speed it is running. While parked the security system is engaged. All wheels have wheel locks, etc. I also have several people in the States tracking our position in real time on travel days. I check in when we leave, and and check in when we arrive safe at camp. Basically all of the fancy security measures that you can envision we have put on the vehicle or into place. Having said that the most important thing is real time intel and situational awareness. Still nothing is ever foolproof and as we know from events all around our own country things can happen anywhere at anytime. There is definitely inherent risk with this type of travel. But there is great reward in experiences too.

5. We get a lot of questions about Caspian, his education and his friends. We've written an article that I will refer you to: https://hourlesslife.com/parenting-philosophy/

Good to meet you Brian. We do have a Patreon if you are interested. No pressure from us, but it sounds like you'd really like the inside scoop. Our community is really important to us and our perks are pretty decent. At least give it a look and see if you think it would be beneficial for you. If not no worries, as you can see I'm always happy to answer questions at no cost. ~ E

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Our transparent thoughts after 3+ months overlanding in Mexico with our 5 year old.

We have started our drive around the world. It has been pretty incredible, had some challenges, and is already changing us as individuals. In this recap we share our transparent thoughts on the journey so far. Hope this is helpful and that you enjoy. ~ Eric

#hourlesslife #overlanding #fulltimetravel

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Did you know the "Aztec" pyramids of Mexico are not Aztec? We learned that on this trip that we took to see the pyramids among a few other things as our drive around the world continues. Hope you enjoy!

Sponsored

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Did you know the "Aztec" pyramids of Mexico are not Aztec? We learned that on this trip that we took to see the pyramids among a few other things as our drive around the world continues. Hope you enjoy!

Enjoyed the video...thanks.

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Eric, somehow I just found this thread and am grasping your HourlessLife universe. Wow. I may be at the opposite end of the universe as I live in the town that I grew up in and coach my 2 sons in baseball, basketball, and soccer. Between work and personal, it seems every hour of my life is accounted for. Ha.

So I write this note with a speck of jealousy, a ton of wonderment, and a sincere blessing of goodwill. Take care of that family, Sir. :fist bump:

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Eric, somehow I just found this thread and am grasping your HourlessLife universe. Wow. I may be at the opposite end of the universe as I live in the town that I grew up in and coach my 2 sons in baseball, basketball, and soccer. Between work and personal, it seems every hour of my life is accounted for. Ha.

So I write this note with a speck of jealousy, a ton of wonderment, and a sincere blessing of goodwill. Take care of that family, Sir. :fist bump:
This is one of the kindest comments we've received @DirkG thank you! There is nothing wrong with being at the other end of the spectrum!

On our Patreon the other day I posted about some of the things I personally miss about being back "home" in the USA. The first thing on my list was a simple backyard barbecue of hamburgers and hot dogs with friends, just sitting around swapping life stories. It's funny the things you miss when you are sitting next to an ancient pyramid.

Life is beautiful. However you enjoy it. Enjoy it! Time is fleeting and memories are precious.

Appreciate you Dirk. ~ Eric

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
In today's video, we cover everything about our clothes for global overlanding and show you how we pack it all into our Jeep Gladiator AND what we do when we need to leave the Jeep for any reason.

Hope you enjoy and find this video helpful. We appreciate you being part of our community as we drive around the world.

As always, we're available if any questions come up! ~ Eric
Sponsored