Sponsored

What Axle Fluid for Gladiator Rubicon Diesel w/ Tow Package?

OP
OP
TheGreenBackGorilla

TheGreenBackGorilla

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Software
Mopar Tech Authority data states you can use 75W-140 if you have the Trailer Tow Package.

Axles1.jpg

Axles2.jpg
But that is not taking affect Diesel Engines w/ Tow
This is simpler than it's being made out here. If you don't tow, use 75W85 for possibly slightly better fuel economy. If you tow a lot (putting more stress and heat into the differential) use 75W140, which will hold up to high temperature better. If you use 75W140 without towing, no big deal. Your choice.

If you have LSD, add the friction modifier or use a fluid that already has it (many do). If you don't have LSD and use friction modifier, no big deal
I live in NC, tow a 3 seater Jet ski, and off road a fair amount.
Sponsored

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicons do not have LSDs regardless of engine.. the exception was the TJ/LJ Rubis that had both.
I used to own a 2003 TJR and now own a 2004 TJR and can concur
I use royal purple 75w140 in them, and will switch to that in the gladiator when I need to change fluids. I tow, so I will do this at 10,000 miles, instead of the recommended 20,000.
I've gotten 200,000 total miles out of those TJ diffs with zero issues.

Reactions: JT1

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
But that is not taking affect Diesel Engines w/ Tow
Dana ships on their aftermarket sold Advantek axles and recommends for rebuild on all their Advantek 44 axles the use of 75W-140. Use whatever you want but just because the owners manual does not list that gear oil grade, does not mean there is no engineering behind using it.

Nothing is special about the Advantek axles on the diesel models other than the gear ratio.

HappyGladiator

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrical tech
I am about to install my ARB diff covers and will probably change the diff oil. I have enough Torco 85-140 RGO GL6 oil to them. It's a non-syn oil but rated GL6. Currie uses it in their diffs. Will it be OK in mine? I don't tow but live in So Cal.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I am about to install my ARB diff covers and will probably change the diff oil. I have enough Torco 85-140 RGO GL6 oil to them. It's a non-syn oil but rated GL6. Currie uses it in their diffs. Will it be OK in mine? I don't tow but live in So Cal.
I would say you will be fine. I am currently running 85W-140 GL5 gear oil in my rear diff for the last 10K+ miles with no issue. Running a GL6 gear oil is even better in my opinion as it is more shear stable.

HappyGladiator

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrical tech
I really think that Torco is a very underrated high quality oil that has been around a long time. I plan on using it as I have for years.
Sponsored