Sponsored

What can I do to increase speed or horsepower?

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
Come on now , You know the answer. Someone just posted the answer a few post back. Yes Of course everything is legal in California.
I saw a post about 6.2 LS not being legal in California, but was wondering specifically about the 6.4 HEMI. Not sure if there is a difference.
Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I saw a post about 6.2 LS not being legal in California, but was wondering specifically about the 6.4 HEMI. Not sure if there is a difference.
The cheapest thing is to be happy with the power you have. I’d have paid for a Hemi option if one was available but the reality is the Pentastar is enough. Like women, there’s always a more desirable one out there.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
A little bit off topic, but in regards to the Hemi swaps, why doesn't anyone do a 5.7l Hemi swap? I know they aren't as bad ass as the 6.4l Hemi, but they have right at 400hp and torques and would get probably about the same gas mileage as our 3.6ls (especially with an 8 speed auto and if you kept the MDS) and it would still be a lot of power in a Gladiator. Is it because it would cost almost as much and be just as much work? I'd think the engine at least would be a lot cheaper and you could find a lot of good, low mileage ones in the wrecking yards if you were really trying to keep the cost down. Just something I've always wondered. I really like the 5.7l. Its a smooth, powerful engine and pretty fuel efficient for what it is. I know people doing Hemi swaps aren't chasing MPG, but I really do think it would be pretty stellar in a Gladiator.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
A little bit off topic, but in regards to the Hemi swaps, why doesn't anyone do a 5.7l Hemi swap? I know they aren't as bad ass as the 6.4l Hemi, but they have right at 400hp and torques and would get probably about the same gas mileage as our 3.6ls (especially with an 8 speed auto and if you kept the MDS) and it would still be a lot of power in a Gladiator. Is it because it would cost almost as much and be just as much work? I'd think the engine at least would be a lot cheaper and you could find a lot of good, low mileage ones in the wrecking yards if you were really trying to keep the cost down. Just something I've always wondered. I really like the 5.7l. Its a smooth, powerful engine and pretty fuel efficient for what it is. I know people doing Hemi swaps aren't chasing MPG, but I really do think it would be pretty stellar in a Gladiator.
It would cost the same to do, other than the cost of the motor. So, if you're spending $25,000....And having to wait all that time, or go through all that effort to do the swap yourself. You might as well spend the extra couple grand and get the big daddy.

Also, who would want to keep the MDS??? Not me... I think the V6 ESS is a joke.

The Rubicon & Max Tow should have come with a 5.7 Hemi option from the factory. The fact is, Jeep screwed up by not doing so, and look at what's fixing to happen? The Bronco is fixing to be blowing JL sales out of the water because of it.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What does the install run on something like this?
I think he said one time it was like $25K-$30K for total job, including labor, parts, engine, trans, etc... Everything. Drop off, hand keys, pickup, hand check, receive keys.

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
The sad part is that the Penata cams are all the same from a Ram to. Challenger.
they rally just took one engine and dumped it in a Chrysler 200, a minivan and a truck.

that really sucks.
the 3.6 could be so much better engine for the Jeep if it was tweaked correctly.

It would cost the same to do, other than the cost of the motor. So, if you're spending $25,000....And having to wait all that time, or go through all that effort to do the swap yourself. You might as well spend the extra couple grand and get the big daddy.

The Rubicon & Max Tow should have come with a 5.7 Hemi option from the factory. The fact is, Jeep screwed up by not doing so, and look at what's fixing to happen? The Bronco is fixing to be blowing JL sales out of the water because of it.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland

No they won't. The Wrangler is too iconic. I hope its successful and puts pressure on FCA to keep improving the wrangler.

I would love to have a 400hp Gladiator that got 20 mpg hwy. I'd keep the MDS and use the 8 speed auto.

IamWardicus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
I'm hoping that with the upcoming competition from the Bronco that maybe the 5.7 does become an option for the Wrangler.

It would sorta suck however because I'm intending on getting my first Jeep this coming autumn and I'd be left wanting more. Since I'll be doing the 3.6 unless a miracle happens and they do toss the 5.7, I intend to make a trip up to Michigan to Livernois once I get the Gladiator broken in. Make a nice day trip and I can see some friends and family along the way.

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
I think he said one time it was like $25K-$30K for total job, including labor, parts, engine, trans, etc... Everything. Drop off, hand keys, pickup, hand check, receive keys.
Damnnnn!!! That’s a lot of money

Sponsored

TrailRax

First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I run the Superchips Pulsar and TrailCal in my Jeep Gladiator. I absolutely love it and I can get 2-3 MPGs more in economy mode then have all the power I want in a few clicks of the steering wheel controls. In my personal opinion, it has been one of the best add-ons to my Jeep.

the issue with a tune is that you cannot change it back. Say they do a 91 octane fuel tune, you cannot change that back unless you pay them again.

IamWardicus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Driving: Sport S Max Tow Gladiator in Sting-Gray
Occupation
Management in a retail setting
If you get the Tuner with said tune than it can be changed.
I run the Superchips Pulsar and TrailCal in my Jeep Gladiator. I absolutely love it and I can get 2-3 MPGs more in economy mode then have all the power I want in a few clicks of the steering wheel controls. In my personal opinion, it has been one of the best add-ons to my Jeep.

the issue with a tune is that you cannot change it back. Say they do a 91 octane fuel tune, you cannot change that back unless you pay them again.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
GM V8 platform. First debut as the LS1 in 1997 corvette, followed by use in the Z28 camaro and Pontiac Trans Ams. They used various versions in corvettes until the introduction of the C7 generation in 2014, in pontiac GTOs and G8s, Camaro SS, Trailblazer SS....any high performance GM vehicle had an LS. The CTS-V got a modified version with a supercharger.

for the 2014 C7 vettes they moved to the LT engine, a new family but with an LS derived layout, and subsequent cars have been phased to it as well. GM trucks have an iron block version of the LS (aluminum) as an LQ engine.
I haven't kept up much with gm, but I'm pretty sure the LT came first, then the LS. If they redesignated the LT, then that's new, and kinda foolish, to me.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
as for e85 debate, if it didn't come from factory, its not fully/properly equipped to run it. Its parts and obviously a tune. Just cuz it can run e10, doesn't mean it can run e15 ,e20, or e85. Unless certain fueling, and sometimes pistons/rings, are changed out. A ffv vehicle is typically 1-2k more from factory vs its non ffv counterpart. This takes into account parts/tune required to run.
Sponsored