Sponsored

What can I do to increase speed or horsepower?

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
you wouldnt run 2 computers in parallel?one for the engine, one for the body?
LS are so cheap and plentiful.......

Although, if the 2.0 was offered on the Glad, Id take that and be done with it...

This is true, but the SRT 6.4 Hemi is already offered in a Jeep (SRT Cherokee Trackhawk). So they have factory ECM's already setup to integrate a 6.4 Hemi with the Jeep EVIC and BUS systems. It's almost plug & play....Then a refresh to work with the Gladiator/JL systems.

Whereas the LS and the Mopar systems speak different languages, therefore you have have a standalone custom made ECM (translator), to actually be able for the 2 different systems to communicate properly with each other for proper functionality.

Like I said, I'm definitely an LS guy, and have been for 20 years. And honestly, anything JK and older, I would most definitely go LS. But when it comes these new Jeeps (JL & JT) with all these fancy 8.4" screens integrated into the ECM's and fancy EVIC displays, etc... Not to mention for ease of installation and form and function, the Hemi swaps will be EXPONENTIALLY easier to swap into a Jeep, being that both are MOPAR products.
Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Im ver familiar with Mazdas also. Currently building a MZR/Duratec block as a matter of fact..

we are talking about different things here....

Ethanol compatable engine is not the same thing as flexible fuel engine.

what you are talking about is having a SPECIFIC ratio of gas/ethanol and tuning for that Exact ratio.
That is just an ethanol tune. Just like you would have a 93 tune and 87 tune.

Flexible fuel is totally different.
it uses a base tune map thatis infinitely variable based on how much ethanol is in the tank.
You could have 10% ethanol and the cumputer richens the fuel and adds a little timing. If you are running 50% Ethanol, computer adds a little more, etc.
you never have to adjust anything manually once the tune tables are set. You are free to run all gas or all ethanol or any mixture in between.
For that to happen, the computer needs a signal, and that signal comes from a $100 sensor that is placed somewhere in your fuel system.

Livernois advertised and confirmed they have a FLEX FUEL TUNE.

The only way for this to happen is for a sensor to exist.
So it either has to be there from the factory, or added aftermarket.
Livernoise confirmed that the sensor was there from the factory.

So, are they wrong?
I don't believe flex fuel is just any mix. At least not for all cars. For Subaru's you still had to have a target Ethanol percentage and then the mapping would adjust around that. For instance, the 2015+ WRX does best on an E50-E60 tune. You couldn't have them tuned to run anywhere from pump up to full E85. You had to change the map for drastic changes.

All this said, not many cars do well just running straight E85 all the time. The main reason for the E50-E60 range is because you still have enough of the traditional fuel to get the lubrication benefits that Ethanol lacks.

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
Im ver familiar with Mazdas also. Currently building a MZR/Duratec block as a matter of fact..

we are talking about different things here....

Ethanol compatable engine is not the same thing as flexible fuel engine.

what you are talking about is having a SPECIFIC ratio of gas/ethanol and tuning for that Exact ratio.
That is just an ethanol tune. Just like you would have a 93 tune and 87 tune.

Flexible fuel is totally different.
it uses a base tune map thatis infinitely variable based on how much ethanol is in the tank.
You could have 10% ethanol and the cumputer richens the fuel and adds a little timing. If you are running 50% Ethanol, computer adds a little more, etc.
you never have to adjust anything manually once the tune tables are set. You are free to run all gas or all ethanol or any mixture in between.
For that to happen, the computer needs a signal, and that signal comes from a $100 sensor that is placed somewhere in your fuel system.

Livernois advertised and confirmed they have a FLEX FUEL TUNE.

The only way for this to happen is for a sensor to exist.
So it either has to be there from the factory, or added aftermarket.
Livernoise confirmed that the sensor was there from the factory.

So, are they wrong?
I didn't realize they were saying flex fuel tune, I haven't looked into tuning these. I have no idea if they're right though I was talking about specific tuning which is what I know. We're saying the same thing without any different information

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
Legal in every state, but California. I just went through Texas inspection.

The LS is the newer design GM V8. I put one in my LR Defender. The 6.2 LS and 6L80 auto from a 2012 Camaro.
Would the 6.4 Hemi work in California?

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
I don't believe flex fuel is just any mix. At least not for all cars. For Subaru's you still had to have a target Ethanol percentage and then the mapping would adjust around that. For instance, the 2015+ WRX does best on an E50-E60 tune. You couldn't have them tuned to run anywhere from pump up to full E85. You had to change the map for drastic changes.

All this said, not many cars do well just running straight E85 all the time. The main reason for the E50-E60 range is because you still have enough of the traditional fuel to get the lubrication benefits that Ethanol lacks.
By definition flex fuel vehicles can run anything from straight gas to e85 without any changes from the factory. You are talkkng about aftermarket tuning for ethanol blends (as was i) which is a different animal

Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
By definition flex fuel vehicles can run anything from straight gas to e85 without any changes from the factory. You are talkkng about aftermarket tuning for ethanol blends (as was i) which is a different animal
True. I've never had one from the factory, but I have heard they don't like the back and forth either. The ECU learning prefers a consistent fuel. I definitely don't think I'd want to deal with the risks of running a flex fuel tune on this engine.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
you wouldnt run 2 computers in parallel?one for the engine, one for the body?
LS are so cheap and plentiful.......

Although, if the 2.0 was offered on the Glad, Id take that and be done with it...
That's how it's sort of done, but with the Hemi, you only need the 1 custom programmed factory ECM. Plus, all the harnesses are plug & play.

Reactions: d k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, that’s a horse of a different color!

I get 14 on the highway with my heavy foot.
Hell, I get 14-15 MPG right now with the V6, 4.10's, and 37's.... Might as well have the 500+ HP and exhaust note to boot!

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
That is 100% not true.

Ive don a LOT of tuning with E85, race fuels, avgas, etc etc.

the computer doesnt care.
as long as there is a signal, it will do what its told.
fles fuel sensor can literally beadded for less than 200 bucks. Its super simple!

True. I've never had one from the factory, but I have heard they don't like the back and forth either. The ECU learning prefers a consistent fuel. I definitely don't think I'd want to deal with the risks of running a flex fuel tune on this engine.

Sponsored

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
This was a car that I converted to flex fuel.
550hp from 2.0L
Jeep Gladiator What can I do to increase speed or horsepower? 11E83AD5-FDA7-4742-AA7B-438ABCD9004B

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
I am not talking about aftermarket flex fuel.

I am talking about determening whether the Jeep is a factory ffv or not.
or if the components are there but maybe not on line?

If Livernoise has a true flex fuel tune without adding a flex fuel sensor, the the jeep is a ffv.

period

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
New to nodding cars so I am not really sure what can be done to my gladiator if I wanted to increase the speed/horsepower?
Lighten the load, no oversized tires, no heavy bumpers or winch. An alternative is engine work/swaps/etc but it will just cost alot more.

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
I think Im gonna go with a tune and gearing and see how that does. Seems like the best option on the cheap(ish)
Sponsored