First Name
Salem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, WRX, Miata, Sienna
Occupation
Software dev
Borrowing money you can afford to pay back can be part of a good financial plan. But the math changed for home ownership in the last few years. One huge change is most cannot deduct the interest on their taxes. Technically you can but the standard deduction is so huge that most will not see a benefit of itemizing.

The other change is money is cheap right now. Like as cheap as it has ever been. On the other hand property has never been so expensive!
Sponsored

Mozjo33

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Gladiator, 99 TJ Wrangler
Occupation
Retired LEO
I'll be picking up my custom Willy's tomorrow as my first jeep. I'm doing an 84 month loans and I plan on having this thing a LONG time. Other than keeping up on regular maintenance and keeping it in the garage, what do you do to keep it going and looking like new?
Congrats!

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
People say this but it 100% depends on your APR and your financial discipline. I would gladly take 84 months at like 1.9%
I got 1.89%. Paymemt of $480. Some months i pay more some months I don't.

Last edited:

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the previous responses to this will help with the life of ANY vehicle. Having owned multiple Jeeps, like many other people on thus forum, I believe the answer to your question specific to Jeeps is don't mod the suspension and don't buy wheels/tires that have a large offset and stick out of your fender flares. If you steer clear of suspension "upgrades" then you will likely miss out on DW and other wear issues that occur when you go outside of factory geometry. If you keep your tires inside your fender flares you won't end up with a bunch of unnecessary damage to your paint. Surprisingly, this is much harder to do than you'd think...

Sponsored

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
OMG 84 months!?!?!?! I would say ensure you have the extended warranty to cover it the entire life of the loan.

Just do regular maintenance and just take care of it. Fix things as they happen or appears to happen.

Enjoy it...

(I'm sorry, I just can't get over taking out a loan for that long)
Really? Who cares not everyone is rich like you? Did you pay in cash for your Gladiator if not can’t believe you would finance a vehicle. Then you recommend spending even more money on a worthless extended warranty. Your two statements contradict themselves.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Best way to keep it for a long time?
Put it in the garage and forget it's there...

Kevin
Hopefully placing Jack stands underneath.

Most of the previous responses to this will help with the life of ANY vehicle. Having owned multiple Jeeps, like many other people on thus forum, I believe the answer to your question specific to Jeeps is don't mod the suspension and don't buy wheels/tires that have a large offset and stick out of your fender flares. If you steer clear of suspension "upgrades" then you will likely miss out on DW and other wear issues that occur when you go outside of factory geometry. If you keep your tires inside your fender flares you won't end up with a bunch of unnecessary damage to your paint. Surprisingly, this is much harder to do than you'd think...
Also the Mopar side steps and mud flaps help with protection.

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
My .02: do the maintenance (don’t waste money just doing “things”) but monitor the oil, gear oil, steering, brake, coolant.... change the soarkplugs when needed. Air filter too... keep the engine reasonably clean. Pay attention to symptoms. (Sounds, vibrations, etc) and find and fix things early.

I have had good luck with synthetic/ oil / gear oil.

I live in the northern climate where road salt is used, i regularly (1-2 weeks depending on weather) wash the underside... before winter I get on a creeper and clean up/paint the frame with rust oleum if theres any surface rust. When I rotate the tires I put penetrating oil in the frame rails and anything else (not the brake rotor) I also spray penetrating oil in theweep holes at the bottom or the doors, trunk/tailgate etc.

I find it helps to log your maintenance to you can refer back to when you did something last&what you did ... make notes if you topped off fluid, brake pad thickness, tread depth, etc...

Whiteknight

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon,2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition White
Occupation
Sales CDJR
First off, Full coverage insurance.
Body armor everywhere (might consider Rhino lining the whole truck, looks really good also)
Don't do what I do, and almost roll truck.
Pay attention to license plate frames, they usually offer warnings.

20200930_105035.jpg

I wanna see this stupid shit and compare! We both may be surprised, surprised, surprised.

Sponsored

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
Underside coating, wax often, leather conditioner, tint windows to protect from UV, do all maintenance. For my last Jeep, I kept a maintenance notebook. It had detailed instructions for all mods, printed write ups for service procedures, and a running log for all service by date and mileage.
How did all that help with resale? I'm doing that for mine too. I've only had it for a little over a month, but I have a maintenance log, and a book tracking all mods.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
... Putting aside the fact that your real rate after your tax deduction on a mortgage is probably really in the 1.75% range (not the case in a vehicle loan- no deduction), you can make $ on the bank's money....
You're obviously an employee and not a business owner.

... just suggesting that what we all heard from our moms and dads about not owing money is good advice- IF YOU DON'T HAVE MONEY. If you do, it's terrible advice.
I've paid cash for my last four vehicles. There's very little as satisfying as when the finance guy asks how you'd like to finance the car, asking if they'll take a personal check. Your home is the place you have to live. It's value is locked up. If you want to make money borrowing money, create your own business. and enjoy all those tax breaks that were taken away from employees over the years.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I'll be picking up my custom Willy's tomorrow ... what do you do to keep it going ...
I'm going to just answer this because it's the same answer whether or not it looks new.

First, love your Jeep. I mean really enjoy the heck out of owning and driving it. Do what you must to make it special. For most of us, that's the fun we have mudding, rock crawling, overlanding, camping, or maybe even mall crawling. If you don't love it, then you won't keep it a past when you get weary of it, I don't care how new it looks.

Second, when things break--and they absolutely will--fix them as soon as possible. If you let little things go, then either commit yourself to "That's just character and why I still love it", or you'll be eager to sell it as more and more problems become weary.

It's that easy. Love it. Fix it.

Here's a video (still slides only) that I made when my Jeep hit a special event. Because I do love it. Even though I now also have a Gladiator, I'll keep the Wrangler forever ...

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
How did all that help with resale? I'm doing that for mine too. I've only had it for a little over a month, but I have a maintenance log, and a book tracking all mods.
I put 200k miles on it on top of beating it up a little. My kid blew a head gasket and I didn't have the time and money to keep working on it. I fixed it and traded it. I won't be working out of my next Jeep and my kids are on their own.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Alright, another version of the truth here. Another way to learn how to... Go on any used cars dot com or your friend Craig's list. Plop in a dollop of 84 months ago and sprinkle in jeeps. See what sells good used in the two different markets. Remember what the hell you see and why it's priced such away, don't just ogle old jeeps. Go outside. Get in your Jeep Truck. Drive awhile. Think on what you saw for sale, and what exactly you are riding in. Compar-O. This is a sure fired way to whip up some long term solutions to short term problems while Jeeping.
Sponsored