ChuckyC1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Hello,
I'm a new Jeep owner, meaning this is my first Jeep and it just happens to be my first new vehicle ever... Glad I waited for a Jeep. I've always heard from several boards you need to "break in an engine". Can anyone expand on that and offer suggestions on how many miles and maintenance for this break in period? My daily drive is about 50miles to Downtown Dallas and back, I know right, sucks, but at least I'm in my gladiator. I drove out new with 79 miles on it and now have over 1500 in a little over a week. I'm keeping it pretty easy, but the trails are calling.

Any help or insight would be apprecitated.
Sponsored

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
Hello,
I'm a new Jeep owner, meaning this is my first Jeep and it just happens to be my first new vehicle ever... Glad I waited for a Jeep. I've always heard from several boards you need to "break in an engine". Can anyone expand on that and offer suggestions on how many miles and maintenance for this break in period? My daily drive is about 50miles to Downtown Dallas and back, I know right, sucks, but at least I'm in my gladiator. I drove out new with 79 miles on it and now have over 1500 in a little over a week. I'm keeping it pretty easy, but the trails are calling.

YOu should be good. There's a blurb in the manual that for the first (300-500 miles, I can't remember) to ensure you arent revving the piss out of it and dont maintian a set rpm for extended periods. Beyond that, first oil change at your desired interval (I stick to 5k after bad experiences with my old jeep) and enjoy!

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Modern engines do not have a break in period like the old days.

OP
OP

ChuckyC1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Welcome aboard the JEEP life
Now find a financial institution for the mods to make it yours.
HA! Bumper's, rock plates already ordered, just recieved winch in mail over the weekend, found a set of Rim's off friends old jeep, just need to be painted. Yeah my wife already had a list of ideas she wanted to do, on a side note she works for a company that deals with 4*4 equipment, so she's had these ideas in her head for a while.

Sponsored

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
HA! Bumper's, rock plates already ordered, just recieved winch in mail over the weekend, found a set of Rim's off friends old jeep, just need to be painted. Yeah my wife already had a list of ideas she wanted to do, on a side note she works for a company that deals with 4*4 equipment, so she's had these ideas in her head for a while.
You are on the right trail then ,go forward brother

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Welcome! This is how I break in new vehicles. 3 days after purchase LOL
I think some easy wheelin is a good way to break it in since it’s going through different rpms, heat cycles and you can make sure all components work.
Jeep Gladiator New Glad IMG_1212
Jeep Gladiator New Glad IMG_5455

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Gladiator!

Sponsored

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
Not Jeep specific, but in general:

Even though the manufacturers may claim there isn't a break in period, it's a very good idea to limit hi-revving the motor (IE: gas engines over 3k RPM) for the first few thousand miles to let things acclimate. Outside of that, make sure you change the oil at the first factory recommended interval and then send it.

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
Directly from the Manual:

"A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided. The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. "

I will note, I drove mine home at 70 MPH and I beleive it led to some transmission issues at lower gears and RPMs (hesitancy, stuttering, etc). A quick hard re-learn by the dealer and my issues subsided.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Congrats Chuck. We need pics of your new beauty ;) :beer:

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
Hello,

Welcome.

I would agree the break in period is very small or non-existent. I've averaged 20,000 miles per year since purchasing my Gladiator Overland -new- in June 2020. Just passed 60k on a recent 1200 mile trip (enjoyed every mile) and still averaged 22.5 mpg keeping it just under 75 most of the time. I did take it easy (no hard acceleration) for the first 500 miles just to be sure.

My wife enjoyed "borrowing" my Gladiator so much the first year, she purchased a JL Sahara in '21. I still think the JT rides better and I notice we usually end up driving mine on longer road trips.

My Overland is Bone stock except for the addition of a Best Top Sunrider which is awesome in the summer! I put my freedom tops back on in the winter because -New England-

Enjoy!

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Break in............... drive it like you stole it.
Sponsored