flyil

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator HA Snazzberry
Jeep Gladiator What happened to color? im-392662

This is an image of Ford pickups from the WSJ (probably F-150, it doesn't say) waiting partially completed in Kentucky for semiconductors and other currently scarce parts.

The shortage is one thing, but look at the sea of white in this photo. Even black and gray aren't that widespread (and contrast less with blacktop) and just a few reds and one yellow in the entire foreground.

What happened to color? Is everyone in the future going to drive around in the same white truck like we are all here to read the gas meter? Please Jeep, keep the fun colors coming.
Sponsored

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN

This is an image of Ford pickups from the WSJ (probably F-150, it doesn't say) waiting partially completed in Kentucky for semiconductors and other currently scarce parts.

The shortage is one thing, but look at the sea of white in this photo. Even black and gray aren't that widespread (and contrast less with blacktop) and just a few reds and one yellow in the entire foreground.

What happened to color? Is everyone in the future going to drive around in the same white truck like we are all here to read the gas meter? Please Jeep, keep the fun colors coming.
I complain about this to my wife all the time. I refuse to buy white, black or grey cars.

One of the best things toyota has going for them is the cool colors available on the tacoma/tundra models.

InvertedAerialX

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on 2023 Gladiator Diesel (long story)
Occupation
Flight Dispatcher / Aircraft Maintenance Engineer /
I complain about this to my wife all the time. I refuse to buy white, black or grey cars.

One of the best things toyota has going for them is the cool colors available on the tacoma/tundra models.

Except for the FUN model, the TRD PRO! Here in Canada, your colour choices for the TRD PRO are two kinds of Gray, White and Black...oooohhh...Exciting! The other models have the awesome blue and other colours, but come on, why can't more companies be like Jeep!

SillyWillys

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I feel like the F150 (and the other full sized trucks for that matter) are often commercial vehicles where white is the #1 choice... I guess to match the fleet?

That being said, in my work parking lot there are A LOT of silver/black/grey/dark blue fullsize trucks. And I don't really see many privately owned "fun colored" trucks, either.

SwankyTiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX

those are all super dutys parked at kentucky motor speedway. i would say the are mostly white because they are fleet vehicles.

Sponsored

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
During economic downturns vehicle manufacturers have historical stayed away from bold colors. This is because the average buyer, especially when times are financially tough, does not want “fun” colors.

They don’t want to stand out. They are concerned with one of two things:

1. blending in, and therefore not showing off wealth
2. Resale value

Both of those two desires are more prevalent when consumer confidence is low, and both mean people want neutral colors - thus Jeep’s “50 shades of gray” lineup.

badger719

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Lots of those are probably fleet orders. Ford most likely prioritizes customer and dealer orders over the fleet stuff, hence why the majority of these trucks are white.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
U notice white is the only free ($0) color for gladiator? Every other color is a $275 mark up.

South FL dealers are about the same. Mostly white, gray/silver, and black.

Sponsored

duckhunter71

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 4WD
I am also in the fun color camp. I work at a bank and there are approximately 11 employees here. In our parking lot, you'll find the following:

1 white Yukon
1 black Silverado
1 gray Camry
1 silver Mountaineer
1 silver Journey
1 silver Grand Caravan
1 gray Charger
1 silver Tacoma
1 black 4Runner (mine, but I bought used so didn't have much choice)
1 white Tacoma
1 red Malibu

I've resolved to NOT buy white, silver, gray, or black when it's time for a new vehicle just to mix things up!

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
White is just a utilitarian default color. As mentioned, fleet sales is the primary one and to many like myself who buy white, it just a basic pleasing color.

I drive by a local Ford dealership that is just a fleet sales only company for the area and about 99% of what they sell is white fleet basic trucks. Once in a blue moon they will have red or blue truck out and they sit for quite a bit longer.

jlc64uk

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon; 21 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Asst. Principal
If they are built in Kentucky at KTP then they are all Super Duty and are stored all over the region awaiting chips.

Would also guess that most of that white is for fleet orders.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
It really is sad to see it like that. Remember the JT launch though? It was only white, black, and 50 shades of grey for the first several months with the exception of red. Im glad jeep keeps a few fun colors every year, but I wonder why there are so many similar ones in their line

No Quarter

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Business Consultant

I think we are supposed to go by the content of a vehicle's character instead.
Sponsored