First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
I noticed this while just peeking around. My 22 Sport S has 23k miles on it and is 100% stock except Rubicon takeoff tires. I've never hit anything, never offroaded, and drove it off the lot with 6 miles on it.

The driver side spring bows outward and the bumpstop cup almost touches the spring on the engine side. I did notice that the spring orientation appears to be flipped 180 degrees when comparing the driver and passenger sides. Kind of interesting. Passenger side spring appears normal. Anyone else notice this on their 100% stock JT?

Driver side:

Jeep Gladiator What the Spring Bow? 20230523_195450

Passenger side:

Jeep Gladiator What the Spring Bow? 20230523_195357
Sponsored

Outback_Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired Civil Engineer
My Rubi is bone stock and looks similar to your springs. Are you hearing or feeling anything? If not I would keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

OP
OP
JTDay

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
I haven't been able to find much on this topic but I did find some threads where others mentioned a bowing driver side spring after a lift/level and even one other user with a Sport whose springs looked like mine then straightened out after he swapped in Rubicon spring and a 0.75" spacer. Here: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/level-kits-causing-a-front-spring-bow.39390/

I looked up part numbers for JT track bars and as far as I can tell, every JT has the same track bar regardless of trim or engine options.

My theory here is that the axle is shifted slightly to one side or another due to the OE parts combination and it's causing the driver side spring to bow outward. I could be wrong but it makes sense in my head.

The bump stop cup is hitting the spring on the driver side but otherwise I don't notice anything unusual. I was mostly concerned that I might be the only one with this issue but it seems like an occurrence that's not too unusual. Hopefully, it'll just go away once I lift and buy all the arms to exactly center the axle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
From the official instructions of the Mopar lift kit: "Properly installed springs will bow outward." I'm sure this is true for stock suspensions, too.

Top of page 10
His is stock except for tires. No lift kit.
(mine never bowed except for the fact the axle was off center so they sort of looked drunk - but no bow)

Odd they they say the lift kit springs are supposed to bow. That indicates different pressures on the inside vs outside of the spring as it sits under the truck.
Maybe it's for articulation because the outside of the spring would be farther from the pads than the inside of the spring.

Sponsored

JTruck23

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Sport, 2001 TJ Sport
I noticed the same spring bow on the driver side of my 2023 Sport after installing 3/4" spacers. Did not check before install so I can't say whether it was like that or not. The passenger spring is slightly bowed in but not as much.

I thought the spacers caused the bow, so I removed them. After going back to 100% stock the driver side spring is still bowed out. I did NOT remove the lower spring perch while installing the spacers. I am wondering if the lower spring perch/pad was installed incorrectly at the factory.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed the same spring bow on the driver side of my 2023 Sport after installing 3/4" spacers. Did not check before install so I can't say whether it was like that or not. The passenger spring is slightly bowed in but not as much.

I thought the spacers caused the bow, so I removed them. After going back to 100% stock the driver side spring is still bowed out. I did NOT remove the lower spring perch while installing the spacers. I am wondering if the lower spring perch/pad was installed incorrectly at the factory.
It should fit only one way.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
The upper coil spring isolators are wedge shaped I imagine to facilitate spring bow.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The upper coil spring isolators are wedge shaped I imagine to facilitate spring bow.
Never noticed a "wedge shape" on mine. If there, it can't be much.
They also should go in one way, though - tabs through holes if I recall correctly. Been a few months since I had mine apart.
The tops of my Synergy springs are absolutely flat, as are the bottoms.

The front springs stand almost upright so shouldn't be much of a taper - if any at all as a taper would make them fit unevenly at the top.

Jeep Gladiator What the Spring Bow? 1695179178578

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed this while just peeking around. My 22 Sport S has 23k miles on it and is 100% stock except Rubicon takeoff tires. I've never hit anything, never offroaded, and drove it off the lot with 6 miles on it.

The driver side spring bows outward and the bumpstop cup almost touches the spring on the engine side. I did notice that the spring orientation appears to be flipped 180 degrees when comparing the driver and passenger sides. Kind of interesting. Passenger side spring appears normal. Anyone else notice this on their 100% stock JT?

Driver side:

Passenger side:

simple fix-- metalcloak spring seats

Sponsored

OP
OP
JTDay

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
It's really not that bad. I'm going to leave it as-is until I upgrade suspension.