D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
When overlanding, I imagine bear spray is pretty standard stuff. Anyone bringing their guns as well?
Sponsored

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Depends, if just out and about bring the .45 if hunting and such well the 12 gauge with slugs and or 30-06. But ALWAYS the 1911.
Bringing for protection though right? I’ve never camped but will be doing a lot of camping with the family and I just feel there is a need to make sure I’m covered in case I come across any trouble but I could be wrong here, not sure

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Okay, if you own a firearm and are proficient, then yes.

But don't just go buy a firearm and never take classes and never go to the range and then expect that firearm to automatically save your life.

That bear doesn't care that you're pointing a firearm at it and is not going to be intimidated.

Also, if you're worried about bear and cougar, get a BIG caliber, 9mm ain't gonna cut it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, if you own a firearm and are proficient, then yes.

But don't just go buy a firearm and never take classes and never go to the range and then expect that firearm to automatically save your life.

That bear doesn't care that you're pointing a firearm at it and is not going to be intimidated.

Also, if you're worried about bear and cougar, get a BIG caliber, 9mm ain't gonna cut it.
I have some training under my belt and go shooting at least once a month but not entirely sure what the gun laws are here in CA or if it at all needed to bring a gun. Guess it depends on where I plan to camp. Some spots in SoCal by the border might be more dangerous (drug smugglers, illegals, meth labs) but other more populated campgrounds could be safe enough to not bring a gun. Wondering what you all think

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
You may want to expand upon, or clarify, the title of this thread. :CWL:
Something like, “what type of protection if any, when overlanding”? Would that help to clarify 😅😂

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Well, sometimes alternative types of protection are also needed when over landing/camping.:please::)

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I bring my pistol for protection, from cats and other animals, bears, mostly black bear around camps where I go, are usually skiddish so being kinda noisy cleaning up the camp and securing food has worked for me thus far, been hunting and camping for 30 years, never used a firearm for defense luckily.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I think a lot of overlanders carry some form of protection or another (Leaving Trojan out of this conversation!).
Many of the people I interact with don’t talk much about it until you get to know them better but many share the same philosophy as I do and refuse to be a victim.

As many people in the South I am almost always carrying in my Jeep if not actually on me. I believe that being discrete is one of the first parts of self defense. Be the gray man... (or in my case the sting gray man!).

We had the opportunity to go to Alaska last summer and of course we always abide by the laws of any country we visit so my usual Sig pistol was a no go In Canada. Instead we brought a pump action 12 gauge and brought some Breneke slugs. Crossing the border as far as firearms was concerned wasn’t an issue as I had the paperwork already filled out.. Fortunately we never had any reason to take it out of its resting place....but.... we did get charged one evening while my wife was preparing dinner and had to use our bear spray on a black bear...he was not happy but we both survived the encounter.

Fun times!
Sponsored