Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
Best tire for driving on sandy beaches.......Planning a move to the Delaware shore area soon from Central Jersey and I don't wanna be "that guy" that has the 35" tires, and gets stuck all the time.
I love the look of a Mud terrain tire much better, (who doesn't?) but since 5 new shoes are at least $1000, I don't wanna do this more than once !
Curiously enough, the beaches in Delaware range from normal sand, to powdery soft stuff....depending on which fishing hole you're looking to get to.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
My BFG KO2 A/T have always been good in the sand. Never had any issues getting stuck. They did a lot better than some people I was with that had others brand installed. The key is airing down so you don't get stuck. The plus side the the KO2s is they look similar to a M/T with all the A/T performance. There is a reason why they are pretty much the standard.

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
My BFG KO2 A/T have always been good in the sand. Never had any issues getting stuck. They did a lot better than some people I was with that had others brand installed. The key is airing down so you don't get stuck. The plus side the the KO2s is they look similar to a M/T with all the A/T performance. There is a reason why they are pretty much the standard.
Another positive vote for the BFG A/T tires. No issues in the sand. They work great.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Im running the yokohama geolander ATs and they work great on the sand when properly aired down. I also get 19-20mpg with them which is better than I ever got with KO2s

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Im running the yokohama geolander ATs and they work great on the sand when properly aired down. I also get 19-20mpg with them which is better than I ever got with KO2s
I'm getting 19-21 MPGs on BFG ko2 35's just saying, they are lighter than the Geolanders, it had nothing to do with the tires I promise you that. Geolander 35's are 67lbs a piece and BFG 35 12.5-17 is 66lbs and 315 70-17, which is what I'm running is 62lbs a piece.

Sponsored

RockHopper

First Name
Silverrubicon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I have Falken All Terrains at the Glamis Sand Dunes and had no issues. Basically, any all-terrain at a low tire pressure works. :)

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting 19-21 MPGs on BFG ko2 35's just saying, they are lighter than the Geolanders, it had nothing to do with the tires I promise you that. Geolander 35's are 67lbs a piece and BFG 35 12.5-17 is 66lbs and 315 70-17, which is what I'm running is 62lbs a piece.
im also not running 35s. I have 285/75/17 geolander A/T GO15's, so realy theyre closer to a 34. They are 61lbs a tire, which is the same weight as the 285/75/17 KO2s i had on my JKU. Got crap for MPG driving very conservatively with them on the JKU. Im aware its anecdotal but i like the geolander's better. I think they have less road noise and certainly less wandering on the highway, plus theyre a bit cheaper than KO2s. Just my $0.02, to each their own.

Psycho Squirrel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 White Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, '14 Black Grand Cherokee Limited, '63 Blue Corvair Monza,
I’d be interested to know what people think about the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 for sand. I had them on my JKU and they were awesome for road/rain and aired down for rocks but I never got them in the sand.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
i had nitto ridge grapplers another heavy tire that is long lasting & does great for deep sand, a hybrid Mud/all terrain. looks great also .

Sponsored

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
AT's, aired down.
This. Pretty much any AT aired down will get you where you want to go. I would stay away from Mts. They might work ,but not as well. I have been driving on long island beaches for decades with all different tires. The best I had were the bfg all terrains. The falken wildpeaks on my mostly stock JT rubicon do great too.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Grew up in the California desert and tires like the KO2, Discoverer AT3, and Grabber AT 2 were born for sand. You need a fat contact patch to float on top so an AT like that with about 8-12 psi in the tires is the way to go.

MTs are generally horrible because the large lugs tend to dig at the sand instead of pushing you along on top. If you plan on doing a lot of sand, I'd avoid them unless you plan on doing even more mud and snow.

OP
OP
DaddyG

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
Grew up in the California desert and tires like the KO2, Discoverer AT3, and Grabber AT 2 were born for sand. You need a fat contact patch to float on top so an AT like that with about 8-12 psi in the tires is the way to go.

MTs are generally horrible because the large lugs tend to dig at the sand instead of pushing you along on top. If you plan on doing a lot of sand, I'd avoid them unless you plan on doing even more mud and snow.

Nope,....It'll be daily driven and as much time as we can spend on the beach....
Sponsored